Insurance coverage

Kathyfromstl

We're using "Travel Insured International" for extensive coverage at a much lower price. :) My gem of a TA says they're good about paying off if necessary.

I checked this out..The policy we would need is $620..That is their second best policy.. Their best policy is $689..

We are between a rock & a Hard place..Travel Insured Intl basic policy cost is $390 & states they will pay what our Primary policy does not pay for medical.. Don't even know what amount they will pay for evacuation & don't see anything for accidental death & nothing on pre-existing conditions in that policy..

It's mostly to protect your fare, which we don't need.. I'm more interested in Medical coverage with evacuation..

It's a real conundrum!

Have just sent an e-mail message to my DH's Company Insurer.. My Friends DH has the same policy as they both worked for the same company.. My Friend claims our Company policy does not pay for Medical out of the country.. I'm wondering if they in fact do pay, so I've done an inquiry.. We've always purchased travel insurance & submitted any bills to the travel Insurance company..

If DH's Insurance company will pay as the primary carrier then we can take HAL's insurance..

Previously our insurance has cost between $300 to $400 because our TA never had to put ages into the computer.. Now we're using a different TA only because we are traveling with other Airline friends & were using a discounted Interline fare... As an Airline retiree I'm also entitled to use an interline rate, but have never used it on our other cruises..That's why we are getting these high rates for our insurance.. The saving on our cruise fare is being eaten up by the high insurance rates & we're actually saving nothing..LOL

I'm at a point I want to cancel & re-book with our own Travel Agent, pay the regular fare & get our own insurance..

Edited by serendipity1499

I do not know what this means. Can you well-informed folks clarify?

"Primary" means that insurance pays first. "Secondary" means you must have other insurance whose benefits are used first.

Terrorism is terrorism. If covered, a variety of cancellation/interruption scenarios are covered if the result of terrorist actions.

I checked this out..The policy we would need is $620..That is their second best policy.. Their best policy is $689..

We are between a rock & a Hard place..Travel Insured Intl basic policy cost is $390 & states they will pay what our Primary policy does not pay for medical.. Don't even know what amount they will pay for evacuation & don't see anything for accidental death & nothing on pre-existing conditions in that policy..

It's mostly to protect your fare, which we don't need.. I'm more interested in Medical coverage with evacuation..

It's a real conundrum!

Have just sent an e-mail message to my DH's Company Insurer.. My Friends DH has the same policy as they both worked for the same company.. My Friend claims our Company policy does not pay for Medical out of the country.. I'm wondering if they in fact do pay, so I've done an inquiry.. We've always purchased travel insurance & submitted any bills to the travel Insurance company..

If DH's Insurance company will pay as the primary carrier then we can take HAL's insurance..

Previously our insurance has cost between $300 to $400 because our TA never had to put ages into the computer.. Now we're using a different TA only because we are traveling with other Airline friends & were using a discounted Interline fare... As an Airline retiree I'm also entitled to use an interline rate, but have never used it on our other cruises..That's why we are getting these high rates for our insurance.. The saving on our cruise fare is being eaten up by the high insurance rates & we're actually saving nothing..LOL

I'm at a point I want to cancel & re-book with our own Travel Agent, pay the regular fare & get our own insurance..

You haven't mentioned the cost of the cruise. As a general rule, a comprehensive policy with good and varied coverages (e.g., Travelex Traveler Select) will cost about 8-10% of the cost of the cruise itself. The older you are, the higher the percentage. Lower than that and something's missing.

You haven't mentioned the cost of the cruise. As a general rule, a comprehensive policy with good and varied coverages (e.g., Travelex Traveler Select) will cost about 8-10% of the cost of the cruise itself. The older you are, the higher the percentage. Lower than that and something's missing.

I agree. With pre-existing our policy is about 10% of the cruise cost. We're both 65 or older.

I think I'd call the company and ask in person.:confused:

Yes you are right..Insurance has never cost us more than 8% to 10% of four cruise.. But we're both getting up in years & DH is 7 years my senior..

However, now unfortunately because of DH's age this comes out to about 18%of the cost of our cruise...Insurance prices have increased almost two fold for us.. Our Friends who are going on this cruise with us will not take insurance, & her DH is actually 6 months older than my DH, but I will not go that route.. I can't take a chance that that one of us might have need of a physician, even though we now are in perfect health..

I'm also very grateful that we still are able to cruise!

I'll wait to get a definitive answer from DH's Company Insurance & then decide what route we should take..

Betty, let me suggest---

Find out exactly what coverage, and where it is effective, from your companies. That's the starting point.

Next, determine exactly what kind of coverage, and in what amounts, you would like to add to that. Think about deductibles, what you are willing to self-insure, things like that.

Once you have a solid idea, then call InsureMyTrip. The phone number is on the website. Talk to a real, live, person who will listen to what you say about what you have, and what you want. That person will ask pertinent questions, make suggestions, and be someone to bounce ideas back and forth with.

You do not have to think this through alone! Get someone who knows the system to help.

And remember, it's not the percentage of the cruise cost for insurance that matters. It's the total expense for cruise + insurance. Who cares if you are paying 20% instead of 8%, if the total is less.

Like many others, I use InsureMyTrip, but over the phone. I have always been satisfied with the insurance, the coverage, and the price. I love the assistance I get working it all out with someone who knows this stuff for a living.

If you're not happy with the results of the phone call, you don't have to purchase. Or, you can take time to think about it.

[quote=Hlitner;... Medicare does not give any coverage outside the USA...except in a few rare circumstance (such as any cruise ship within 6 hours of their US port).

Hank

While correct,I believe this is an extremely misleading statement. Yes Medicare does not cover, but the Medicare supplemental insurance that almost everyone has, will usually cover medical costs outside the USA.

Scott & Karen

Betty, let me suggest---

Find out exactly what coverage, and where it is effective, from your companies. That's the starting point.

Next, determine exactly what kind of coverage, and in what amounts, you would like to add to that. Think about deductibles, what you are willing to self-insure, things like that.

Once you have a solid idea, then call InsureMyTrip. The phone number is on the website. Talk to a real, live, person who will listen to what you say about what you have, and what you want. That person will ask pertinent questions, make suggestions, and be someone to bounce ideas back and forth with.

You do not have to think this through alone! Get someone who knows the system to help.

And remember, it's not the percentage of the cruise cost for insurance that matters. It's the total expense for cruise + insurance. Who cares if you are paying 20% instead of 8%, if the total is less.

Like many others, I use InsureMyTrip, but over the phone. I have always been satisfied with the insurance, the coverage, and the price. I love the assistance I get working it all out with someone who knows this stuff for a living.

If you're not happy with the results of the phone call, you don't have to purchase. Or, you can take time to think about it.

Thanks Ruth..Never thought about calling them..Good idea..

I'll do just that..I sent an e-mail out this morning to John's Company Insurance & should have an answer by Tuesday..Then I'll take your suggestion & phone Insure my trip..

Thanks again..

While correct,I believe this is an extremely misleading statement. Yes Medicare does not cover, but the Medicare supplemental insurance that almost everyone has, will usually cover medical costs outside the USA.

Scott & Karen

Maybe I'm not clear on what is Medicare Supplemental Insurance.. I don't think we have one..

We have a Company Insurance policy which we've had for over 40 years from my DH's company.. DH retired in his 50's & went on Medicare at 62.. The policy pays what Medicare does not pay & but we also have a co-payment.. Is this considered a Medicare Supplemental Insurance?

Our Medicare is taken out of our Social Security & called Medicare Part B...DH's company reimburses us..

I sent them an e-mail this morning asking if they will pay when we are out of the country, only because our Friends who have the same policy said they will not cover us out of the country..

For every cruise we've always purchased a separate policy & have sent bills to the travel policy insurer..

Maybe I'm not clear on what is Medicare Supplemental Insurance.. I don't think we have one..

We have a Company Insurance policy which we've had for over 40 years from my DH's company.. DH retired in his 50's & went on Medicare at 62.. The policy pays what Medicare does not pay & but we also have a co-payment.. Is this considered a Medicare Supplemental Insurance?

Our Medicare is taken out of our Social Security & called Medicare Part B...DH's company reimburses us..

I sent them an e-mail this morning asking if they will pay when we are out of the country, only because our Friends who have the same policy said they will not cover us out of the country..

For every cruise we've always purchased a separate policy & have sent bills to the travel policy insurer..

Hi,

What you have sounds like what is covered by most Medicare supplemental policies, but who knows what your husband's company will cover, asking them seems like an excellent idea. Many Medicare supplemental policies are defined by Medicare as to what they must cover. Some insurance companies cover additional expenses over what is required by the government. Most of us purchase supplemental insurance from a separate company to go along with Medicare, Part "B" which only covers 80% of some medical expenses.

Sounds like what your DH's company provides is both reimbursement for Medicare Part B along with the supplemental coverage to pay the rest of "Medicare approved" expenses (e.g., the 20% of a covered expense not paid by Medicare).

But, not all supplements are the same since some do not cover anything out of the US (like Medicare) while others have an added bonus of transforming into basic medical insurance programs when you leave the country.

As retirees of the public university system in California, we are covered by CalPERS and our insurance does provide that extensive international coverage with very few conditions attached.

While we are technically covered for pretty much everything, we still take no chances and get a comprehensive travel policy as well (in addition to the various credit card travel insurance perks provided by the United Airlines Explorer Visa (for travel costs purchased with the cards).

Perhaps a bit of overkill. But, the comp policy is the only extra cost for what amounts to a "triple threat" of protection.

Hi,

What you have sounds like what is covered by most Medicare supplemental policies, but who knows what your husband's company will cover, asking them seems like an excellent idea. Many Medicare supplemental policies are defined by Medicare as to what they must cover. Some insurance companies cover additional expenses over what is required by the government. Most of us purchase supplemental insurance from a separate company to go along with Medicare, Part "B" which only covers 80% of some medical expenses.

Sounds like what your DH's company provides is both reimbursement for Medicare Part B along with the supplemental coverage to pay the rest of "Medicare approved" expenses (e.g., the 20% of a covered expense not paid by Medicare).

But, not all supplements are the same since some do not cover anything out of the US (like Medicare) while others have an added bonus of transforming into basic medical insurance programs when you leave the country.

As retirees of the public university system in California, we are covered by CalPERS and our insurance does provide that extensive international coverage with very few conditions attached.

While we are technically covered for pretty much everything, we still take no chances and get a comprehensive travel policy as well (in addition to the various credit card travel insurance perks provided by the United Airlines Explorer Visa (for travel costs purchased with the cards).

Perhaps a bit of overkill. But, the comp policy is the only extra cost for what amounts to a "triple threat" of protection.

Thank you both for your replies.. I'll sit back & wait for an answer from our Insurance company...Then might do what Ruth suggested if I need a more comprehensive policy & make a phone call or might be able to purchase the HAL insurance..

Yes I do forget what our Credit Card company has.. Must pay more attention to it & not get so antsy..We only paid the deposit on the 6th so have a little time....

Thanks again everyone..

If you buy and pay for full trip cancellation/interruption, medical, evacuation, etc. and then cancel the cruise before HAL's cancellation deadline is the insurance premium refundable? Looking at booking the world cruise and the insurance premium is several thousand dollars. Any advice would be appreciate.

If you buy and pay for full trip cancellation/interruption, medical, evacuation, etc. and then cancel the cruise before HAL's cancellation deadline is the insurance premium refundable? Looking at booking the world cruise and the insurance premium is several thousand dollars. Any advice would be appreciate.

It's my understanding that it's not refundable but you can wait and purchase it up until final payment. That's what we are doing. Since it's really not need until after final payment, we're waiting until just before final payment to purchase the insurance.

Utahtea

Edited by utahtea

I have read that some insurance companies will allow you to credit the paid premium toward a future cruise if you cancel before the penalty period begins.

Do check with the companies you're considering before purchase.

If you are looking at a World Cruise, double check the final payment date as compared to the first penalty date. There are long cruises where the penalty periods start before final payment. You may need/want to have insurance before final payment.

I agree with Ruth, you need to check with HAL re: the penalty date and the final payment date. I don't know if the Cancellation policy is on the web page but in the 2016-2017 Cruise Atlas, page 222, it states "Refunds (except for amounts paid for CPP (Cancellation Protection Plan)will be made in accordance with...." For Grand Voyages it appears the cancellation penalties began 120 days prior. Under Deposit and Final Payment Requirements, on the same page, it lists those departures where final payment is due 75 days out and the World Cruise is not one of them. I assume it is included in the statement "Final payment is due 90 days prior to departure for all other voyages...."

I read that to say that the HAL CPP is not refundable and is due 120 days out for Grand Voyages (i.e. World Cruise) and that final payment is due 90 days out. Do check with HAL or your TA before you make any decisions.