2017 Summit to Bermuda?

ACoupleAtSea

Correct but that is not the American's cup which is what I was talking about. The regatta is a race held every year from Newport, RI to Bermuda. The construction, etc that Kfrey is talking about is not for the regatta it is for the American's Cup which is held every few years somewhere in the world. Next year it is in Bermuda. Once example of the constrution is a huge building on the waterfront which is the home of Oracles's team. We are talking two different races, the Summit is in Bermuda every year for the regatta and is avoiding Bermuda and heading north for the America's cup.

....but that is the America's Cup. The AC is a series race that runs over multiple days. 2017 it is from June 17th to the 27th (best of 13, first to seven points). The Summit will be in Bermuda from the 22nd to the 25th so they are not avoiding the Cup at all. Race 5 and 6 are on the 24th and race 7 and 8are on the 25th. Not sure how much of the race they will be able to see on the 25th since they leave to head back to NJ, but they be able to see all the action on the 24th for sure.

....but that is the America's Cup. The AC is a series race that runs over multiple days. 2017 it is from June 17th to the 27th (best of 13, first to seven points). The Summit will be in Bermuda from the 22nd to the 25th so they are not avoiding the Cup at all. Race 5 and 6 are on the 24th and race 7 and 8are on the 25th. Not sure how much of the race they will be able to see on the 25th since they leave to head back to NJ, but they be able to see all the action on the 24th for sure.

The Regatta is not the America's cup, it is a separate race completely that is run annually in Bermuda. I disagree with your assessment, we have a cruise ship that spends every summer in Bermuda totally including during the regatta and the Bermuda Cricket matches. The America's cup comes to Bermuda, a once in a lifetime thing and all of a sudden they send the ships north for two cruises. 2 plus 2 equals 4. The post I was questioned was the one that said the Regatta was the America's cup.

Edited by dkjretired

The Regatta is not the America's cup, it is a separate race completely that is run annually in Bermuda. I disagree with your assessment, we have a cruise ship that spends every summer in Bermuda totally including during the regatta and the Bermuda Cricket matches. The America's cup comes to Bermuda, a once in a lifetime thing and all of a sudden they send the ships north for two cruises. 2 plus 2 equals 4. The post I was questioned was the one that said the Regatta was the America's cup.

The Americas Cup Match series in 2017 will be from June 17 to June 27. Summit will be docked at Kings Wharf on June 22, 23, 24 and 25. It is not the yearly regatta. It is the final series of America's Cup races. Summit will be at the finish line.

Edited by Charles4515

there are actually 3 extended cruises next year. the 9 day to Boston and Bermuda followed by a 10 New England and ending with another 9 day Boston and Bermuda. There are no 7 day typical Bermuda runs between 6/18 and 7/16. The America's Cup takes place during the first 9 day cruise as previously stated.

If you're referring to the Bermuda 1-2, it is scheduled for a 6/2/17 start from Newport and back from St. George on 6/15/17.

The Newport Bermuda race is only held during even numbered years: The 635-mile biennial Newport Bermuda Race is the oldest regularly scheduled ocean race, one of very few international distance races, and (with the Transpac Race) one of just two of the world’s regularly scheduled races held almost entirely out of sight of land. Founded in 1906, the Bermuda Race is held for the 50th time in 2016.

Hopefully the above resolves any confusion.

The only thing I was trying to clear up was dkjretired's assertion that Celebrity is somehow trying to avoid Bermuda because of America's Cup which is ridiculous. The Summit will be in and out of Bermuda up until June 25th. The America's Cup schedule of events is scheduled from May 26th to June 27th (here is the schedule: https://americascup-images.s3.amazonaws.com/original/m1605_americas-cup-press-package-new-york-10.jpg). To say that the Summit is avoiding Bermuda because of America's Cup because it will not be there on June 26th and 27th (race days that may not even be needed if a team has already scored enough points) doesn't make sense. Seems to me that the Summit is making its usual schedule up until after the America's Cup. But what do I know.....maybe the Summit is avoiding Bermuda after America's Cup due to the breakdown/cleanup from the America's Cup activities.

The only thing I was trying to clear up was dkjretired's assertion that Celebrity is somehow trying to avoid Bermuda because of America's Cup which is ridiculous. The Summit will be in and out of Bermuda up until June 25th. The America's Cup schedule of events is scheduled from May 26th to June 27th (here is the schedule: https://americascup-images.s3.amazonaws.com/original/m1605_americas-cup-press-package-new-york-10.jpg). To say that the Summit is avoiding Bermuda because of America's Cup because it will not be there on June 26th and 27th (race days that may not even be needed if a team has already scored enough points) doesn't make sense. Seems to me that the Summit is making its usual schedule up until after the America's Cup. But what do I know.....maybe the Summit is avoiding Bermuda after America's Cup due to the breakdown/cleanup from the America's Cup activities.

Exactly. I should have quoted DKJ but I was already too far in to go back.

I think the itinerary changes are due to the 9 day Cup cruise. The second 10 day cruise celebrates 7/4 in Boston and the Canadian Independence day in one of the Canadian ports so they themed as an independence cruise. I imagine the additional 10 and 9 day cruises are designed to get them back on track to the 7 day without doing an itinerary less than 7 days. Maybe they're scoping out the interest levels in extended summer itineraries?

Does anyone know if Celebrity will include any shore tours/events for the A/C cruise, like daily tickets to the show area or race stands elsewhere on the island?

According to Captain Kate the finish line is where Summit docks.

It might look like in this photo I took from the aft on Summit.

71091a5e37bf8259851c6739d12f0fab.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

We are booked on Summit for the "special" 9 day cruise leaving Bayonne on June 18, 2017. It is MY understanding that we will first cruise to Boston for a 1 day visit when the Tall Ships are docked in Boston. We will then be docked in Bermuda for 4 days when some of the America's Cup races are scheduled. This is the most expensive 9 night cruise I have ever booked, as it is a one time special thing.

People are wondering if Bermuda has the infra-structure to handle this event. Bermuda is crowded, and expensive, any time cruise ships are there. Add to this all of the visitors for the Cup races and it could be a real "mess". We have visited Bermuda twice, so we will be content to just enjoy the ship and watch the races from the top deck, or our balcony if we are facing the right direction.

First, Book ASAP. No downside- if the price goes down and you book directly from celebrity they will make the adjustment if you call them. Some TA's might charge a fee for this- so check. We go first or second week in August- we like it as the water is nice and warm-albeit Bermuda can be very warm.

Since we must go in August- that works best for us. However, if I could, I would go first week in July or last week in June. The water should be fine and the weather will be warm- but that is the way it should be in Bermuda. I would go in Sept-or beyond or before mid June.

Enjoy

During a three week period at the end of June and into July, the ship is doing two cruises in New England and Canada. This is to avoid the American's cup, don't know if they were asked not to come to Bermuda or what the cirumstances are but they won't be there during America's cup. We booked the second cruise going to New England a 9 day cruise.

The Americas Cup will likely be over by the end of June unless the races extend to all 13 races AND there are some sort of weather days (which is a lot less likely in Bermuda where the wind and the weather is VERY predictable)

The Americas Cup finals are scheduled to be raced over ten days (again IF all 13 races are needed, a boat could win the first seven and it'll be over) from June 17th to June 27th

Sailing's Biggest Regatta in Bermuda, June 18, 2017, 9 Nights on the Celebrity Summit is a signature-sailings-logo-200x40.jpg and I have booked A1 1140 for the cruise and can't wait!!!!!

We'll likely also stay aboard for the July 4th and Canada Day, June 27, 2017 10 Nights Celebrity Summit Independence Day Cruise which is also a signature-sailings-logo-200x40.jpg

There are 3 extended cruises next year -- 9 day Americas Cup, 10 day New England and 9 day New England and Bermuda. Just bear that in mind when booking as it may draw the surrounding 7 day cruises' price up.

August is a beast in Bermuda. I've done it but prefer not to unless it's my only option. I agree that the beginning of June is optimal.

Why do you say August is a beast? Thinking August 20, 2017 to cruise.

Can anyone offer insight as to when the best time to book this cruise would be. In terms of the lowest price and best perks? Thanks.

Book now for the best choice of Staterooms. You can continue to monitor the prices and call Celebrity if you see a price reduction. You aren't locked in until you pay in full. Yesterday, I called Celebrity as I noticed a reduction in the price of an upcoming Silly cruise we have in the future. I booked the cruise on board my last cruise and was able to save a few hundred $$$ ! I still carry my booking on board perks with me! We are VERY happy!

Enjoy

I booked a cruise from June 4th to the 11th to Bermuda in 2017. After reading all the posts, I found out that the playoffs for the America's Cup is on the days we are in port. Should I reschedule to another date or will we be OK in respect to crowds?

I booked a cruise from June 4th to the 11th to Bermuda in 2017. After reading all the posts, I found out that the playoffs for the America's Cup is on the days we are in port. Should I reschedule to another date or will we be OK in respect to crowds?

That would be a great sailing for those interested in the race since the Summit is at the finish line. Can't comment on possible crowds. I don't know what to expect. Personally I have been to Bermuda the last three years in June and I don't intend to book next June.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515