3rd person cancellation

We just added our son to our upcoming Allure cruise. We're not 100% sure that he'll be able to go on the cruise due to work circumstances but the RCI Agent told us we can cancel him up to 2 weeks before the cruise. I assumed that a 3rd person would fall into the normal rules, i.e. no cancellation after final payment but I guess I was wrong on that score.

Is this the way it works or was I misinformed?

tks

Cant speak to that question specifically, I do know when we were considering cancelling a third person in our room a couple of cruises back though that RCI wanted to move us from a 3 pax cabin (E1) to a 2 pax cabin (E2) and then refare everything to the new much higher rates in place on the E2.

Not sure if that would be an impact in your circumstance but I would check on that as well.

Cant speak to that question specifically, I do know when we were considering cancelling a third person in our room a couple of cruises back though that RCI wanted to move us from a 3 pax cabin (E1) to a 2 pax cabin (E2) and then refare everything to the new much higher rates in place on the E2.

Not sure if that would be an impact in your circumstance but I would check on that as well.

oooh never thought of that circumstance. thanks

I canceled a third person about two weeks before a cruise. I was refunded 100 percent, no penalty. Plus, within a day I had been upgraded from a balcony that held three or four to a junior suite that held only two passengers. I've never heard of them making you pay to move to a two-person cabin if you cancel a third person, but they will move you if they need your cabin.

I canceled a third person about two weeks before a cruise. I was refunded 100 percent, no penalty. Plus, within a day I had been upgraded from a balcony that held three or four to a junior suite that held only two passengers. I've never heard of them making you pay to move to a two-person cabin if you cancel a third person, but they will move you if they need your cabin.

Sorry a bit confused...how did you qualify to get 100% of that third person's cruise fare refunded :confused:

Sorry a bit confused...how did you qualify to get 100% of that third person's cruise fare refunded :confused:

The penalties apply only to the first two passengers in the cabin.

Hi

We've just had to cancel the 3rd person in our cabin. RC told us we had no option but to move to a two person cabin. We were well within the dates to get a full refund on the third person's cruise fare with just loss of deposit. We found an alternative cabin but we have had to pay the current rate for that room. We have had to pay more for the cabin, lost the buy one fare get one half price offer, lost the $200 onboard credit and ended up two floors away from our sons in another cabin we had already booked. If we had wanted to move our sons as well we would have incurred even more costs ! Not happy. We have put a complaint into RC but heard nothing yet. Not very impressed and this is our first ever cruise.

Hi

We've just had to cancel the 3rd person in our cabin. RC told us we had no option but to move to a two person cabin. We were well within the dates to get a full refund on the third person's cruise fare with just loss of deposit. We found an alternative cabin but we have had to pay the current rate for that room. We have had to pay more for the cabin, lost the buy one fare get one half price offer, lost the $200 onboard credit and ended up two floors away from our sons in another cabin we had already booked. If we had wanted to move our sons as well we would have incurred even more costs ! Not happy. We have put a complaint into RC but heard nothing yet. Not very impressed and this is our first ever cruise.

That stinks, and sounds completely unreasonable. Keep pushing, and don't give up, and let us know how it goes.

Hi

This was similar to what they indicated they wanted to do when I called in to ask "what if" we needed to cancel the third passenger. It actually worked out to be cheaper not to cancel the third passenger and just have them "no-show" rather than cancel and pay the higher far for a 2 passenger cabin instead.

We had planned to go that route but then the third ended up being able to go so it never became an issue.

The 3rd person cancellation policy described here applies to North American bookings. Not sure how it works outside of that.

Regarding losing the triple room and being put in a double: I could deal with that, but repricing the entire amount seems unfair. The cruiser is already being punished by losing the original cabin choice; $$ penalties seem like overkill. That policy also seems to be applied inconsistently, as other cruisers have posted that they cancelled and were not relocated.

That stinks, and sounds completely unreasonable. Keep pushing, and don't give up, and let us know how it goes.

Thank you. I will. Sent an email complaint on Sunday and had no response yet.

Seems like you take a real chance when you cancel a 3rd person...I have 4 aft cabins booked all right next to each other (so don't want to lose any of them). Their a triple, double, triple & double...so it may be best if one or two of the triples can't go to just have a no-show...what charges will be refunded..taxes & gratuities ? I have a great rate that's now doubled in price from when I booked it originally.

Edited by Ashland

Seems like you take a real chance when you cancel a 3rd person...I have 4 aft cabins booked all right next to each other (so don't want to lose any of them). Their a triple, double, triple & double...so it may be best if one or two of the triples can't go to just have a no-show...what charges will be refunded..taxes & gratuities ? I have a great rate that's now doubled in price from when I booked it originally.

I didn't follow through on mine but what I understood my two options to be were:

1 - 3rd is a no show, taxes and port fees refunded (didn't prepay grats but I would assume those too) no refund for cabin fare.

2 - Cancel 3rd, relocate to an E2 from my E1, reprice to current price and pay about $800 more for the 2 in an E2 than my 3 in an E1 was priced at.

I didn't follow through on mine but what I understood my two options to be were:

1 - 3rd is a no show, taxes and port fees refunded (didn't prepay grats but I would assume those too) no refund for cabin fare.

2 - Cancel 3rd, relocate to an E2 from my E1, reprice to current price and pay about $800 more for the 2 in an E2 than my 3 in an E1 was priced at.

Thanks so much...We'll just wait and see...but more than likely since I got the cabins at such an amazing low price we'll just do the no-shows if necessary.

Thanks so much...We'll just wait and see...but more than likely since I got the cabins at such an amazing low price we'll just do the no-shows if necessary.

Depending on when you originally booked. You can also purchase travel insurance from a 3rd party. I like to use insuremytrip dot com

If you purchase policies within like 14-21 days of original booking you can usually get "cancel for any reason" as well as "pre existing waiver" That could help if you had to cancel and the trip was repriced. Cancel for any reason would cover that.

Whenever I've had quesitons, I've called the toll free number for insuremytrip and they have been very helpful.