Most weight gained during a NCL cruise

megansdad1

I had done a lot of work to get myself in better shape prior to my Dawn cruise in just over two weeks. I have dropped 70 lbs and I feel great. With UBP and UDP, I plan to go completely off of the rails. So I have two questions.

#1 What is the most weight you have gained during a cruise

#2 Are there any fun activities you can think of to help ward off the buldge while on an older ship like the dawn?

Thanks

<a href=IMG_20160511_223127.jpg' alt='IMG_201605

First of all, congratulations on losing your weight. I absolutely understand where you are since I have lost 54 LBS. On my cruise this past March, i made sure I took the stairs everywhere. And I mean EVERYWHERE!! Our cabin was on the 9th deck and the buffet was on deck 16. I took those stairs both up and down. Whenever I wanted to go anywhere on the ship, I used the stairs. As for fun activities, I love to dance so whenever there was some sort of ship party with music, I was there.

I don't gain too much and I have actually lost weight on a cruise just from all the walking I do. Take the stairs as much as you can, instead of the elevators.

I don't go wild with eating - I eat what I want, but I try to make good choices. I eat well for breakfast and dinner (omelettes for breakfast, chicken or salmon for dinner with extra veggies - but I still have dessert), but I indulge a bit at lunch - Reuben sandwiches, fries, etc.

I absolutely drink more in a cruise than in my normal life, but I do NOT have the sugary sweet drinks. I drink mostly wine, or vodka with club soda. I also enjoy some hard ciders.

You can go to the gym, or walk the desks for extra exercise.

I think you'll be surprised at how well you will do!

Congratulations on your accomplishment. I have also lost 20 lbs in anticipation of the cruise/a better lifestyle altogether.

The last cruise I went on I gained 7 pounds. I lost five of them within 48 hours, mostly water weight. Lots of salt everywhere.

My best advise, and plan for myself, is to stay active. Go to the gym, wake up early and head to the jogging track at daybreak (if it's open that early) and watch the sun come up while running. And absolutely, as mentioned, use the stairs always. The elevator is your enemy. Remember, every step counts.

Keep in mind, even if you gain a few pounds, you can always just get back on program when you get home.

That's my plan. I think it's a good one.

In the end. . . .HAVE A GREAT TIME!!

I've never gained weight on a cruise and as a couple of others said have actually lost a few pounds. I do my daily workouts just like I do on land and I rarely use the elevators unless I have been "over served" by my favorite bartenders.

While on cruises I don't eat huge meals and never eat until I'm stuffed. My strategy is to eat more meals throughout the day than I do at home but with smaller portions. That way I get to try all kind of things I don't normally cook or buy for myself at the house.

Trust me, I do NOT go hungry. :D

Thanks for the advice and support. And congrats on getting healthier. I will keep in mind to take the stairs where I can. I also like the idea of walking on the track in the morning.

Breakfast should be easy to control. I am hoping to only gain 5 lbs. Then it will only take a couple of weeks to get back to even.

I have a similar story. I lost over 115 pounds three years ago. I only go off my diet ONCE a year and it's during my summer vacation. The most I've gained is 10 pounds and it took a couple MONTHS to recover. (Weight is easy to put on and difficult to take off.) The gym is a good resource, of course, but you should resign yourself that you WILL gain weight, but it's not the end of the world. Get back on that horse when the cruise is over and stick with it.

I have a similar story. I lost over 115 pounds three years ago. I only go off my diet ONCE a year and it's during my summer vacation. The most I've gained is 10 pounds and it took a couple MONTHS to recover. (Weight is easy to put on and difficult to take off.) The gym is a good resource, of course, but you should resign yourself that you WILL gain weight, but it's not the end of the world. Get back on that horse when the cruise is over and stick with it.

Thanks Suzzlechest. Congrats 115 is amazing. I have resigned to the fact that I will pile on somewhere between 5-10 lbs. My main objective is to relax and have a good time. It will all eventually come back off.

I had done a lot of work to get myself in better shape prior to my Dawn cruise in just over two weeks. I have dropped 70 lbs and I feel great. With UBP and UDP, I plan to go completely off of the rails. So I have two questions.

#2 Are there any fun activities you can think of to help ward off the buldge while on an older ship like the dawn?

Thanks

<a href=IMG_20160511_223127.jpg' alt='IMG_201605

My wife gained about 80 lbs as a result of one of our early cruises. She lost it all 9 months later after the twins were born.

The best one is the reason she ended up gaining 80 lbs.....

Edited by Zimomiller

My wife gained about 80 lbs as a result of one of our early cruises. She lost it all 9 months later after the twins were born.

LOL

We just got off the Escape. I didn't do too bad. I didn't eat too much bread and butter and of course used the stairs. Although as the week progressed it got harder to go up.

I don't usually gain weight while on the ship. I use the stairs when I can I've been known to do 2-3 flights, walk to the other end of the ship and then do 1-2 more flights. I eat very little of the bread they offer each night, and cut back on desserts. But other than that I eat whatever I want when I want.

Congratulations on loseing all that weight.

Well played!

Thanks

p><p>First, you don

I take the stairs up and down, I do snorkelling excursions, and I dance, dance, dance at all the deck parties until I literally can't dance another step.

I had the UBP this last cruise and I stuck with mostly different martinis, no fruit punches or ice cream based drinks.

As long as you stay active even if you gain a few pounds they should come off pretty easily!

Bon Voyage!

The most I have ever gained is 15lb on 3 week trip to Turkey, I have just come back from 2 weeks in Mauritus and gained 8lb.

I lost 56lb to I know that I CAN lose what ever I gain (telling myself as I had weigh in at cuddle club last night so back on plan this morning) ready for next trip in Sep then cruise in April 17.

No reason to worry! You've come this far you can do it! I'm on weight watchers and just got off the Rotterdam and lost 5 lbs over 2 weeks! AND I did not deprive myself! Got up and walked 2 miles on deck everyday we were at sea and took the stairs whenever I could. Did lots of walking on tour. Wore my pedometer everyday and averaged over 12,000 steps a day. (those hallways are long!!) Ate a sensible breakfast, usually a big salad with protein at lunch and enjoyed dinner with desserts whenever chocolate was on the menu! Also a few bloody mary's and wine!

You'll be fine! Enjoy your cruise!!

Following along, I have lost close to 30# since my breakaway cruise in December and I have an RCL cruise in a few weeks and the breakaway in August.

I plan on being like Karen said she did - choose one meal a day to let myself enjoy a little.

I feel like I do make better choices in general now, that I know I would still do on a ship - lots of fruits and veggies, much less mindless snacking.

My other two thoughts are cruise ship MDR meals are pretty portioned controlled compared to restaurants at home.

I am also usually disappointed in desserts - they always feel like there is something they use for frostings so it can hold its shape in hot weather changes the texture so I might have a mudslide for dessert.

Basically my hope is not to count my WW points for the week through and let myself enjoy within reason (and of course exercise, take stairs, etc)

I figure I feel so much better now, why would I want to go back to how I felt before.

Edited by queenschick9b

Congrats on the weight loss. You look fantastic.

Dont sweat it. Vacations do not come as often as we would like and the memories you make are worth more that a couple pounds gained. That said, I actually lose weight on cruises and im not trying.

I have struggled to keep my weight in check most of my life because I just LOVE food but when I go on vacation for some reason I really do not want to eat. It is funny, but when I get on the ship, I dont want to spend the time going to eat, it is like losing precious vacation time. ( I know that seems funny but it just always turns out that way). I walk a lot and I take the stairs. I have taken my gym clothes with me on all of my cruises but never once pulled them out, so no formal exercise either.

Relax, enjoy and maybe take some time to think about what you are ordering or putting on your plate but dont spend time saying "I cant have that"

DH and I were on the Gem last April.

Instead of elevators we used the stairs, did lots of walking, found that eating in the MDR or other restaurants was built in portion control------portion sizes were not large, played ping pong on the pool deck, and stayed away from the sweet sugary stuff.

We had an occasional ice cream or sorbet for dessert. Weight gain---------0.

Congrats on the weight loss!!

I usually gain about 5 lbs and so does DH. We always take the stairs and even hit the gym or the track. Our downfall on our last two cruises was the Haven breakfasts. His was always steak and egg, potatoes and toast. Mine was the French toast....We did not eat lunch as we were off the ship but made up for that at dinner. I will also have to admit that the adult beverages did not help us much.

When we are on vacation we enjoy ourselves and when we get back we pay for it ;)

Thanks everyone,. Your achievements , support and advice have all been awesome. I had not really thought about how things are better portion controlled, except for the porterhouse that had my name on it at Cagney's. Lol