Barcelona to paris, best by train or plane

snoopycr

Hi Everyone

After our cruise in Barcelona, we want to spend a few days in Paris. First time there. Is it better to travel by airplane or train: Cost and time wise. It's a 2 hour flight vs a 6 hour train ride. Not sure how busy the airport is with security and taxi to and from the airport.

We just want to get to Paris as quick as possible, 2 travel bags from the cruise. Not sure how the travel bags will be walking through the train stations vs airport.

Thanks!

Remember it's not 2 hours v 6 hours. For the flight you have got to get to El Prat(Barca airport) further out than train station. 2 hours for security, then depends on Paris airport if it's CDG, well out again after baggage collect, so taxi, bus, train. Depends where staying in Paris? Also some cheap airlines baggage costs after a cruise may not be in fare

Train is into centre again where are you staying depending on gare train comes in from Baca?

Lots else to consider.

I agree, train.

As GrJ says - it may only be 2 hours on the plane, but both airports are a fair way out of town, plus you need to allow a lot of time to get through security before you board.

Going by train involves boarding right in the city centre, relaxing for 6 hours watching the scenery and perhaps having a meal in the dining car, then getting off in the city and a short cab ride to your hotel.

Going by air involves a long taxi or bus ride to the airport , queuing to check in, queuing to get through security, walking miles to the gate, sitting around in the gate lounge, cramming on to a plane, two hours in an airless sardine can, walking miles to baggage claim, standing around waiting for baggage, getting through customs, queuing for a taxi or bus, long taxi or bus ride to the city.

Last time we went from Barcelona to Paris we went by sleeper which was very restful, I don't know if that service is still running.

Edited by Marisawrite

We would also prefer the train (especially in 1st class). If you do a price comparison, make sure to consider the luggage fees charged by most European airlines (which can sometimes exceed the price of the airline ticket). And, as has been said, the trains will take you from down town to down town...and also save your the expense of getting to and from airports.

Hank

Then train it is! Thank you for everyone's helpful suggestion.

Royal disembark at 6am in Barcelona on a Monday. Is that enough time to catch my fast train leaving at 9:25am to paris? I understand that Barcelona Sants is only 4 miles away. I just need timing advice on how long it takes to disembark.

Thank you again!

Then train it is! Thank you for everyone's helpful suggestion.

Royal disembark at 6am in Barcelona on a Monday. Is that enough time to catch my fast train leaving at 9:25am to paris? I understand that Barcelona Sants is only 4 miles away. I just need timing advice on how long it takes to disembark.

Thank you again!

We were on a NCL cruise, also docking at 6 am - and we were at Barcelona Sants by 7 am (on a Sunday but I don't think that would make a difference). We self disembarked and had no queue for the taxi . As long as you dock on time, you will have no problem getting on a 9.25 am train. Now if you had a medical emergency or a mechanical problem you might have a problem. But that would be the same if you caught a plane.

There are tickets that allow you to make changes. Not sure if you can make changes after you have missed a train - but the most flexible ticket you can get would make sense.

Enjoy Paris, it is a beautiful city.