Riviera - MDR and specialty restaurants

dinosaurdem

If you don't live in a locale where there are "fine dining" restaurants with a one price menu, then you will love the MDR. The MDR is a true dining experience with as many courses as you want.

For me, I am an "older" woman who wants to stay svelte, so I don't want all that food. We also come from a place in the US where people are very conscious of weight. We eat in the specialties because we can have a table for two and just pick and choose.

There is nothing wrong with indulging in the MDR and having all the courses, but it is a personal choice. We do not like to sit for 2 hours waiting for everyone at the table to have or on two before dinner and then desert.

So, every diningroom on O is great. It is just a personal choice.

LOL, I actually went on one cruise and lost weight...not because of the food, but because of me!

Apropos of Carol's post, just because the MDR menu shows about 5 courses available: hors d'oeuvres, soup, salad, main course, dessert (not to forget pastas) ... no one has to order all of them! Most people order 2 or 3 ... My husband (who is thin, darn him) often orders one of each. In the past he often ordered TWO main courses! (No, he didn't finish them both ...)

I tend to have soup or salad, maybe an appetizer if something is especially appealing (they are small!) and a main course.

True, service can be slower especially if you are sharing a table with others who order one of each!

But I find it easier to limit my intake at a sit-down restaurant than I do in Terrace where everything looks so appealing ...

That is one reason why we prefer to have breakfast in the GDR on sea days rather than going to Terrace. Somehow it's easier to tell a waiter you want 2-3 items rather than loading 6-7 on your plate in the buffet restaurant!

Mura

I would agree that the food in the MDR is as good and more varied. I've never understood the desire to eat in the speciality restaurants every night.

Smaller, more intimate venues suit some people, me included. However, always happy to eat at any venue on Oceania.