P&O Suites

BarneyCat

Ours seems quite laid back at the moment an everything appears when required.

:cool:

Party or two to be organised as well.

Happy Days

Dai

Thing is Dai, I think you are on Arcadia where there are more butlers - we came off Arcadia a few weeks ago and it was a different experience to Ventura in April - we haven't been on Azura for 18 months so don't know if the butler changes have been implemented on her yet. Also, who is your butler, as some are more laid back than others.

Enjoy as we do.

Bal

Ours seems quite laid back at the moment an everything appears when required.

:cool:

Party or two to be organised as well.

Happy Days

Dai

Have a great time and enjoy!

Indeed the Butlers seem to be the most stressed and over-worked crew members I have seen. I know P&O have said they are reviewing suite benefits, maybe with all ships offering an alternative breakfast venue they will phase out the Butler role and move to the same model operated on Princess. I have to say, I personally preferred the Princess approach where everything just seemed to happen without any stress. There was still the option to order from an extended menu via room service, next day menus, priority disembarkation etc. just appeared in the cabin, with no fuss or lengthy discussions. Don't get me wrong the Butlers are lovely and want to make your holiday special, I realise they are optional but sometimes they transfer their stress to me and it feels like hard work. I would rather have other benefits such as a free speciality meal, free laundry, free thermal suite etc. Of course this is just my personal opinion and others will disagree because we are all different. [emoji4]

We would miss Butlers greatly. We use them all the time - to unpack, pack, book restaurants, get tickets for special events, bring us breakfast, lunch and sometimes dinner, bring us drinks during the day (especially champagne - which they pour - a room steward would not do that). A good Butler will also help give advice about different things, ie. what excursions to book and even get advice from the Excursions team.

We've also had him anticipate the fact that we were going on an excursion early afternoon and we would, therefore, need something to eat before lunch was available and he bought us something and put it in the fridge during the morning. There is no way a room steward would do that.

Hopefully P&O will not get rid of them. It would be a great shame.:(

We would miss Butlers greatly. We use them all the time - to unpack, pack, book restaurants, get tickets for special events, bring us breakfast, lunch and sometimes dinner, bring us drinks during the day (especially champagne - which they pour - a room steward would not do that). A good Butler will also help give advice about different things, ie. what excursions to book and even get advice from the Excursions team.

We've also had him anticipate the fact that we were going on an excursion early afternoon and we would, therefore, need something to eat before lunch was available and he bought us something and put it in the fridge during the morning. There is no way a room steward would do that.

Hopefully P&O will not get rid of them. It would be a great shame.:(

We had breakfast delivered which was great but the evening meal that got delivered was possibly one of the worst meals we have ever had, so we never did it again [emoji102] maybe I will give it a second chance in September [emoji4]

As for unpacking and packing, that's really brave - not only would I be worried about not being able to find anything but I'm worried about who sees my pants [emoji23]

Edited by Florry

We had breakfast delivered which was great but the evening meal that got delivered was possibly one of the worst meals we have ever had, so we never did it again [emoji102] maybe I will give it a second chance in September [emoji4]

As for unpacking and packing, that's really brave - not only would I be worried about not being able to find anything but I'm worried about who sees my pants [emoji23]

It can be fun trying to find things!

My husband spent some time on one cruise trying to find his underwear on the first morning. After a good 15 minutes of looking he eventually found it in the same drawer as the playstation under the TV!! :):)

Mind you, the one we had on Oceana in March was exceptional. He arranged everything in the wardrobe in order of formal and casual for both of us, which was extremely good and easy to find things.

I think, like male spa consultants, they've probably seen it all!:)

It can be fun trying to find things!

My husband spent some time on one cruise trying to find his underwear on the first morning. After a good 15 minutes of looking he eventually found it in the same drawer as the playstation under the TV!! :):)

Mind you, the one we had on Oceana in March was exceptional. He arranged everything in the wardrobe in order of formal and casual for both of us, which was extremely good and easy to find things.

I think, like male spa consultants, they've probably seen it all!:)

Very funny [emoji23] I think I will definitely be doing my own now [emoji1360]

• 1 year later...

Hope it's ok to resurrect this thread...

We've booked a suite on Oceana next April, sailing from Malta. It will be our first time in a suite. Looking at the P&O FAQs it says that there isn't any embarkation reception for fly cruises, but the cruise Personaliser says that there will be. Which is correct?

Thanks.

Thanks DaiB. This will be our first fly cruise so the process will be new to us. And our first suite, so we're very excited! At least we've been on Oceana before so we should know our way around.

What didn’t you like about the suite pisces14? We have had a suite twice on Britannia and on Aurora. Having had a ship’s visit on Oceana this Spring we booked a mini aft suite on Oceana for the Arabian Gulf. We have only cruised with P&O and I am guessing maybe you think the suites are small compared to other lines? The superior de luxe cabins on P&O’s larger ships size wise are “suites”on other ships. [emoji924][emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What didn’t you like about the suite pisces14? We have had a suite twice on Britannia and on Aurora. Having had a ship’s visit on Oceana this Spring we booked a mini aft suite on Oceana for the Arabian Gulf. We have only cruised with P&O and I am guessing maybe you think the suites are small compared to other lines? The superior de luxe cabins on P&O’s larger ships size wise are “suites”on other ships. [emoji924][emoji4]

That's it exactly I found the suite a bit small compared to the Aurora and even the Oriana. The only table is a small coffee table so unless the weather is good it's not easy to eat breakfast on a small coffee table. In my opinion you are probably getting better value for money with the mini-suite. I peeked in at our neighbours mini suite and in a way its more spacious because it's looked the same size as our suite and you don't have the divider between the bedroom area and the living area. I didn't particularly like the Oceana but if I were to book again I'd go for the mini suite and not the suite.

The B deck suites and the C deck suites are bigger than the bigger ships and the balconies are huge. Perhaps the A deck stern suites on Azura/Ventura May be bigger and the two large forward suites on Aurora.

But we have found those on Oceana to be the biggest of the regular suites.

I agree the mini suites at the stern of Oceana are very good size but with smaller balconies.

The B deck suites and the C deck suites are bigger than the bigger ships and the balconies are huge. Perhaps the A deck stern suites on Azura/Ventura May be bigger and the two large forward suites on Aurora.

But we have found those on Oceana to be the biggest of the regular suites.

I agree the mini suites at the stern of Oceana are very good size but with smaller balconies.

I have to disagree. We were on C deck and I found the suite to be smaller that the midship suites on the Oriana and the Aurora. We've been in the penthouse on the Aurora and that is definitely much larger. We haven't been on the larger ships so I can't compare to any of those.

I don't know which suite you have on Oceana but our very favourites are the ones on C deck. The aft suites are fantastic, much larger than any other suite we've been on - apart from those on Adonia - and when you go from there to one on Azura/Ventura you really see the difference. You could probably fit the Azura/Ventura aft suite into the Oceana one at least twice if not nearly three times! Enjoy yourselves. We've always found the different Butlers on Oceana really great. There's only usually one Butler because there are only 6 suites.

Thanks annieuk. We don't know which suite we'll get yet, as we're on an early saver, so they'll let us know nearer sailing date. I was wondering how many butlers there would be, so it's useful to know that there is just the one, but with only 6 suites that's to be expected. He/she will be busy going up and down the stairs! Hopefully the weather will be nice so that we can eat out on the balcony sometimes. The other disadvantage of an early saver fare is that we don't know our dining yet. We would prefer freedom dining. It will be our silver wedding anniversary on board, and Club dining on a large table won't be very romantic!

I don't know which suite you have on Oceana but our very favourites are the ones on C deck. The aft suites are fantastic, much larger than any other suite we've been on - apart from those on Adonia - and when you go from there to one on Azura/Ventura you really see the difference. You could probably fit the Azura/Ventura aft suite into the Oceana one at least twice if not nearly three times! Enjoy yourselves. We've always found the different Butlers on Oceana really great. There's only usually one Butler because there are only 6 suites.

As I've said we had C749 and were in that suite for 48days so plenty of time to asses the size. All I can say is the suites on the larger ships must be tiny.

I'm really glad that somebody revived this thread. We will be in our first P&O suite on Ventura in December and I'd be grateful if somebody could answer a couple of questions for me please.

We have booked a B2 suite on early saver, we chose that category because we like the location (we realise that it's under the pool deck and could be noisy lol). We really don't want to be upgraded but I know we don't have a choice with the saver fare - if they did upgrade us it would seem that the only suite higher is a Penthouse suite as I've searched the deck plans and there couldn't see anything showing as B1, but there is a BE which I understand is a family suite - does anybody know where that fits in? Would they class that as an upgrade from a B2? I really want the answer to that question to be no, but don't humour me lol, I can take the truth.

Second question - we don't remove the automatic gratuities and, except in rare circumstances, we give extra as well. The whole concept of a butler is new to us but we will obviously be using his/her services (though not for packing and unpacking :eek:), do suites pay a higher amount of automatic gratuities and include the butler? If not then how much would the correct amount be?

Thanks for your help.

Gill

Hi Gill, you're in the same situation as us then, having a suite for the first time and booking an early saver. I'm afraid I can't answer the question about upgrades, but when I booked direct with P&O they told me the tips were £6 per person per day. I've read somewhere on cruise critic that you usually tip your room steward and butler as well, presumably depending on how much they do for you and how helpful they are.

I'm really glad that somebody revived this thread. We will be in our first P&O suite on Ventura in December and I'd be grateful if somebody could answer a couple of questions for me please.

We have booked a B2 suite on early saver, we chose that category because we like the location (we realise that it's under the pool deck and could be noisy lol). We really don't want to be upgraded but I know we don't have a choice with the saver fare - if they did upgrade us it would seem that the only suite higher is a Penthouse suite as I've searched the deck plans and there couldn't see anything showing as B1, but there is a BE which I understand is a family suite - does anybody know where that fits in? Would they class that as an upgrade from a B2? I really want the answer to that question to be no, but don't humour me lol, I can take the truth.

Second question - we don't remove the automatic gratuities and, except in rare circumstances, we give extra as well. The whole concept of a butler is new to us but we will obviously be using his/her services (though not for packing and unpacking :eek:), do suites pay a higher amount of automatic gratuities and include the butler? If not then how much would the correct amount be?

Thanks for your help.

Gill

Only the stern A deck suites are an upgrade.

Thanks for your help.

Gill

A Penthouse would be an upgrade. We’ve stayed in a Penthouse on Ventura and it was fine, so if you get upgraded to that don’t worry. There is a metal stanchion running through the balcony which some on here will tell you is a problem. It isn’t. It doesn’t affect the view out at all and as the balcony is very large it makes no difference to useable space. As the balcony is mostly uncovered, the view out from inside the Penthouse is stunning. The only negatives were the lack of hanging space and how awkward it is to access, and the whirlpool bath is difficult to get in and out of as the shower cubicle is alongside it. The biggest positive for us (other than the view) was that it was completely silent at night with no noise whatsoever. We haven’t stayed in a B2 suite but friends have and said never again. They were woken VERY early every morning by staff dragging the deckchairs around overhead to wash the decks.

Gratuities are £6 per adult (over 12) per day, regardless of cabin type (extra costs associated with a suite are within the price you pay). We tip the cabin steward and butler on top of that, but most to the steward as they do considerably more work for us. Others have different experiences, but we find the Butlers to be quite lazy and never seem genuinely willing to do things. It also becomes a bit tiresome and intrusive when they keep turning up to do very minor things.

You will get to have breakfast in the Epicurean Restaurant which, although not as good as the one on Britannia, is far more civilised than the main dining room or buffet. Or you can have it served by the butler in your suite. Many rave about that, but we prefer to enjoy the experience of the fine dining restaurant as you are entitled to it.

As Suite passengers you will enjoy Priority embarkation at 12.30pm (although it can be even earlier these days) which is great. You will also be entitled to attend the priority boarders ‘lunch’ in one of the main dining rooms from 1.30pm. We find this to be very poor as it’s low quality snacks and cheap horrid tasting plonk. We take advantage of the early boarding to be the first to use the buffet when it opens as the choice and quality is far better. We never use the buffet during a cruise due to hygiene concerns, but make an exception on day 1 when we can be first in.

Hope that helps.

Only the stern A deck suites are an upgrade.

Not the BE suites? It's a good question, because frequently an upgrade proves to be anything but, but in this case if you rule out the BE suites it can only be a genuine upgrade.

I very much like the aft suites on Ventura and Azura - about the only way you can get a decent sized suite on these ships.