Volendam 3318 v. 3326

12Mermaids

I'm very excited that I am going to be able to book a cruise to Alaska this year. Unexpected good fortune and timing. Will depart Vancouver on the Volendam 14 September.

Narrowed down the cabin choices to two, either 3318 or 3326. (This post got long, sorry! Just wanted to provide all the factors so I don't waste anyone's time.)

I'm claustrophobic enough that I don't think I can handle an inside cabin. Balconies and lanais are sold out. Have narrowed the deck choice; lower promenade will be the deck for me. I love the idea of dashing out to the deck, camera in hand, to capture something I spy out the window (because it might be too cold for me to linger on the deck).

Anyway, 3326 is ov, directly next to the exit door and looks perfect. Pretty close to midship for the cabin category, as well.

3318 is forward, but that might not be an issue. I've never suffered from motion sickness and am a roller coaster lover.

The possible issue is the obstructed view from 3318. I've seen a photo of the Volendam's exterior that makes it look like one can see quite a bit out the window. The curve of the superstructure would obstruct maybe 25% of the view. But that's not a photo from inside the cabin.

The factual website shows 3318 on the Amsterdam. While in the same class, it's not a true sister ship to Volendam. A few feet left or right could make a big difference! Cannot find photos of Volendam or Zaandam cabin 3318.

Since weather can be rainy in September, I might opt of 3326 to see more from the window if it's too rainy to be on deck at all. Also, 3326 is directly next to the door, so I'm not sure if noise would be a factor.

The cost difference is enough for a shore excursion or a pass to the thermal suite, so I want to be wise. 3318 should be my choice, unless I find the view is more steel than ocean.

Thank you for reading this far!

3326 is right by the door to the deck (bang!) and the stairs/elevators area.

It is not even close to midship, but of course 3318 is more forward.

You might find it not very private to be so close to the stairs/elevators in 3326.

I like 3318 better: a little more secluded, not next to an outside door, but very close and an easy dash to get onto the deck.

The fact that 3320 is an EE shows that it has a clear view, so 3318 is between that and an HH which is the solid steel. 3318 should have a decent view.

I think it all comes down to how much view you want. Remember that in 3326 you will still be looking through the railing on the deck and whatever else might be there.

Look at the obstructed view photos under the R class for Amsterdam 3316, which should = Vol 3318 and also 3321 which should be similar to Vol 3326.

Edited by SilvertoGold

One thing we did on Volendam for Alaska was have the beds made up as twins, and it is easier to look out the window. Also, I would lounge on the bed to read, and open the closet door with the mirror in a position where I could glance up and see what was happening outside, behind me! We were in 3365 I think it was, near elevators and an exit door, and we were able to get outside quickly when we needed to.

Ann, that's a great idea to use the mirror! Especially in inclement weather, I can "maintain watch" without freezing or getting soaked.

Thanks, dockman. I really like the location of 3326, but like the price of 3318. At least I've got it narrowed down to two, haha.

Both very good choices! Once we were in the equivalent of 3329, adjacent to the Hotel Managers office but very near the elevator - never heard it, not a problem. We did hear the door bang just a couple of times, not a problem.

We have stayed in an H, partial obstructed, room 306 on Maasdam, and had a pretty decent view, better than I'd have thought. I don't see much difference in the positions of your choices, just a few rooms apart so, I don't think there will be much benefit of stability in one over the other.

IMO, the savings on the H room is a well worth considering. or to say it the other way, is the extra money worth the full OV? I've had mid-ship full OV on Amsterdam and didn't think the view was all that great - it had of course the railing, some of which is solid, plus we had a big post in our md-view, and you have to look across the deck to see out to the water in the distance.... I'd take the H and call it great! You'll want to be outside as much as you can in many places and either of your choices will give you excellent access.

Enjoy, m--