Cruising Europe for the first time....

We are SO excited to have just booked Navigator of the Seas; departing Southhampton, visiting Balbao, Vigo, Gigon, and Paris. We are doing a few days in London pre-cruise. We are travelling with my parents, and our sons who will be just shy of 2, and 4 and a half at the time of sailing.

We have sailed the Caribbean many many times and have wanted to head to Europe for a while, and with the Zika Virus in the south, we finally have the push we needed to make the long flight across the pond!

We are just starting to research European ports and would love any advice, tips, tricks and especially ideas for travelling Europe with little ones.

Thanks in advance for your responses! :)

Hi

We are doing a similar itinerary on Navigator.

Bilbao looks very interesting and we have not been there before, there apparently is an old part of town called Casco Viejo which is well worth looking around. Lots of old interesting streets, shops and local restaurants. Royal apparently lays on a shuttle to take you from the port into town.

In Gijon I am trying to arrange independently a tour around the local football team 'Sporting Gijons' stadium in the morning. This will suit our football mad six year old. No real plans yet for the rest of the day.

When you say Paris I assume you mean you are arriving at Le Havre. This is a considerable distance from Paris, we have been here before and if I recall correctly the ships tours to Paris are 10 hour days. I'd love to organise this but it may be too long a day for our son. Its something I'll arrange from the UK when he's a bit older but if your coming from Canada and not been before I'd consider it.

Honfleur has caught my eye as a nice looking French fishing village to visit from Le Havre so i think we will be heading here this trip. We have been to Le Havre before and there is not a huge amount of interest in the town.

We stopped at Vigo last year on Anthem, we stuck around the town and harbour for the day and had a great time. Had a nice lunch and a few wines if I remember correctly :)

Have fun

I live in Southampton. Southampton itself has nothing of interest to see, so there's no need to spend any time in the town.

Both the National Express Coach station and the train station are very close to the cruise terminals, it's only a short cab ride wherever your ship is docked. The train journey from London to Southampton is easy, but do book a ticket in advance as it's much cheaper.

If you prefer to book a transfer with your cruise line, you might want to look into whether they offers "embarkation" tours (it's like a transfer, but your luggage is whisked off to the ship while you go on a day tour). Some cruise lines offer a nice one where they take you to see Stonehenge on the way.

Edited by Marisawrite

I agree, the very long journey from Le Havre to Paris for a short whirlwind tour of the sights would be hopeless with such young children. Calling Le Havre Paris is absurd.

Similarly they call Southampton London. :(. It is approximately a 1.5 to 2 hours drive.

A tour of Normandy from LeHavre is fascinating. I learned a great deal as it is awe inspiring as to the sacrifice that these soldiers made for our freedom. We used a private company: Overlord Tours. This company was amazing. There were several tours to choose varying in length. The guide we had was a university professor whose PHD was on Normandy. He was incredible.

I agree, the very long journey from Le Havre to Paris for a short whirlwind tour of the sights would be hopeless with such young children. Calling Le Havre Paris is absurd.

Similarly they call Southampton London. :(. It is approximately a 1.5 to 2 hours drive.

Yes, I agree it's false advertising in both cases! They do the same on the Baltic run, calling Warnemunde "Berlin" - when it fact it's a 3 hour drive away.

I'm also told that Princess cruise transfers to Southampton start at Victoria Coach station, so cruise passengers who arrive at Heathrow or Gatwick travel 20 or 30 miles in the wrong direction to get their transfer - when they could've taken a train or coach straight from the airport to Southampton.

Edited by Marisawrite

Calling to Vigo last year I did a ship's excursion "Typical Galicia Cellar Tour" which I quite enjoyed - bus tour along the coast, visited a vineyard, sampled the local wine, then stopped in a town called Cambados where you were free to get your own lunch.

In general kids in continental europe are taught from a very young age how to behave in restaurants so you might want to keep that in mind.

The New Forest outside Southampton is lovely if you had a few extra days and tired of London.

I remember Deauville (about 45 minutes from Le Havre by car) being beautiful, but that was about 30 years ago. Similarly Lisieux was very nice too, but again, I may be misremembering :)

Thank you all for your responses! I have learned that, Yes, Paris will be a trek for our little guys. Fortunately for us, they travel well, and the Eiffel tower is one we don't want to miss. Even if it means seeing it from the grass of a local park while our boys run off some energy from the long drive.

I am interested in learning more about this football stadium tour as our 4 year old may enjoy it. Could the poster send me a link?

I am interested in learning more about this football stadium tour as our 4 year old may enjoy it. Could the poster send me a link?

I'm not very good with links :confused: but if you type 'El Molinon Tour' into google it should be the first result.

The website is in Spanish but there is an information PDF bottom left of the website in English (Excuse me if my assumption you can't speak Spanish isn't correct :) )