I know its been asked before but: Wifi calling not working on Harmony

Our experience has been that anyone associated with IT on the ship makes themselves invisible. There is no "separate desk" for IT questions.

No desk, but on O/A they set up a place to sell pkgs and help people with problems several times during the cruise. You can take your device to them and they will show you how to use it on the ships system and get you all set up. They are very helpful

Bob's suggestion to get IT help is a good one. When I was on Oasis a few weeks ago with VOOM only, I was able to make wifi calls with my iPhone 6s by enabling wifi calling without an app.

I learned on here awhile back how to make wifi calls. There was a great thread about this subject a few months ago.

Edited by Artemus

Bob's suggestion to get IT help is a good one. When I was on Oasis a few weeks ago with VOOM only, I was able to make wifi calls with my iPhone 6s by enabling wifi calling without an app.

I learned on here awhile back how to make wifi calls. There was a great thread about this subject a few months ago.

But did you purchase voom surf or voom surf & stream (previously this was the only option as voom unlimited) and only recently they've been selling the reduced surf package

But did you purchase voom surf or voom surf & stream (previously this was the only option as voom unlimited) and only recently they've been selling the reduced surf package

VOOM surf (no stream)

VOOM surf (no stream)

Looks like they might have tightened it up then. The Carrier based wifi call uses slightly different ports to an app based VoIP like Skype. The carrier wifi calls make a ip connection to the carriers media gateway and onto the roaming network whereas FaceTime / Skype etc use worldwide located servers.

Looks like they might have tightened it up then.

We have had no reports other than BW limitation differences between SURF and STREAM (,5MB and 4MB on non O3B ships and 4MB and 25MB on ships with O3B). Without more detail of exactly what's going on with that phone, it is difficult to diagnose. I'm fairly certain that any blocking would be controlled from Miami so if it's that, the ship won't be able to fix it.

So the wifi enabled calling doesn't work BUT she can call us on "whatsapp". I didn't even realize that was an option. Works beautiful. :) So anyone with just the surf package CAN wifi call using whatsapp. The caller on the receiving end must also have whatsapp. I'm happy.

• 4 months later...
Has anyone else used Viber to make calls on the Allure using the basic VOOM surf package? If so were you able to connect with non Viber landlines?

Other than this thread (and we don't have all the details to know for sure what happened), I have not seen any reports of apps not working. If you can use it at home (try it now -put phone into airplane mode and turn on WiFi only) to connect, it should work on the ship as well.

For Verizon customers only... - to use WIFI calling via Voom (with Stream)

You need to have HD Voice service (free) enabled on your iPhone or Android phone in order to use WIFI calling (in general).

This typically requires:

1) Have a newer phone (iPhone 6 or newer, Samsung Galaxy 6 or newer, etc.)

2) Have the LTE calling service turned on for cellular (in the settings menu)

3) Hve Voice/Data enabled for LTE service under the submenu in cellular service (iPhone), or else "advanced calling" enabled in the settings on an Android phone

Happy sailing and calling.

I used WiFi calling in the South Pacific (somewhere between French Polynesian islands and New Zealand) earlier this month with no apps. I have T-Mobile and incurred no extra charges. I did not buy internet on the ship - was using one of our 24 hours of free internet as a Diamond C&A. I have a Samsung Galaxy S7. It worked perfectly.