1st time on Adventure of the Seas

Have only sailed Oasis Class ships. Hoping this will not be a disappointing cruise from San Juan.

Normally once aboard the ship we proceed to the Park Café for a roast beef sandwich. But it is my understanding that there is no Park Café aboard so I am wondering where everyone goes to get a meal once aboard the Adventure. And what would be good to eat. I know that the ship is going to be refurbished in October and am waiting to find out what will be new.

Hi

We've sailed on her a couple of times, usually only the WJ and cafe promenade is open on embarkation day, WJ can get very crowded before 1pm until they announce the rooms are ready. I know when Mariner was refurbished they added a boardwalk doghouse so you may get something like that after they refurbish. Happy cruising.

Have only sailed Oasis Class ships. Hoping this will not be a disappointing cruise from San Juan.

Normally once aboard the ship we proceed to the Park Café for a roast beef sandwich. But it is my understanding that there is no Park Café aboard so I am wondering where everyone goes to get a meal once aboard the Adventure. And what would be good to eat. I know that the ship is going to be refurbished in October and am waiting to find out what will be new.

It looks like they will be adding:

Flowrider

Dual racer waterslides

Splashaway Bay aquapark

Izumi

Chops

Boleros Latin themed lounge

Bill

With many things out of your control, the only thing you can affect is your outlook. Be positive and I'm sure you will enjoy yourselves. It's a nice ship but not Oasis class and the ports are intimate and if you do your research, there are hidden treasures to be found.

If you like beaches, you will love this ship. The bigger ships would be a waste on the southern route because you're not on the ship long enough to do much. There's plenty of places to eat, you won't go hungry and you won't get bored. Those big ships go to boring, touristy, overcrowded and overhyped islands; but the adventure takes you to the true Caribbean islands, the ones you imagine a tropical vacation would be, the postcard worthy beaches, the more stable weather, calmer seas...the absolute best of the caribbean. You will not be disappointed!

Thanks to all especially Coloradogurl. I now have a new perspective on this upcoming cruise.

However, I now need to know where to stay for our first time in San Juan. Thinking of Dorado but want a nice hotel where we can definitely walk to restaurants and nightlife. We are only going 1 day prior to cruise. Not something super expensive but NICE and clean, maybe with breakfast.

Also, am I right in thinking that it will cost about $70. US to get from the airport to the Dorado area?

And does the Adventure leave from the pier in Old San Juan? If not where from and about how much will a cab cost from Dorado or Old San Juan.

Any other additional info would be appreciated

Voyager class is my FAVORITE size ship...not too big, not too little...just right!

We eat a late breakfast so eating doesn't have to be the 1st activity of our cruise!

I remember when Voyager class came out how enormous it was to everyone (as the Oasis class is now).... I've sailed Voyager class (twice a long time ago) and Oasis class once with Harmony coming up this year. But I've booked Adventure for 2017 and am looking forward to it just as much as the Oasis class. The ports of call sound amazing and there will still be plenty of venues and things to do on Adventure.

Edited by birdlord

Thanks to all especially Coloradogurl. I now have a new perspective on this upcoming cruise.

However, I now need to know where to stay for our first time in San Juan. Thinking of Dorado but want a nice hotel where we can definitely walk to restaurants and nightlife. We are only going 1 day prior to cruise. Not something super expensive but NICE and clean, maybe with breakfast.

Also, am I right in thinking that it will cost about $70. US to get from the airport to the Dorado area?

And does the Adventure leave from the pier in Old San Juan? If not where from and about how much will a cab cost from Dorado or Old San Juan.

We usually stay in condado, we have stayed at best western and doubletree. Lots of cruisers if they are staying one night will choose what is called a boutique hotel in the old town. This makes your evening hours well spent seeing something of the old town. The ship docks at the pan American pier, not much to see there but she does not sail til 8:30 pm must be aboard by 7:00 pm although we usually board early around 11:00 am. Lovely ship. Taxi's have regulated prices by zone, don't have a copy but it probably is on the Internet or maybe on the San Juan page. Have a wonderful cruise this ship is just the right size.

So when if your cruise? This maybe a good cruise to investigate your roll call of people on the same cruise.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in San Juan (the one on Tartak St.), it's near the airport and walking distance to a so-so (but large and lively) beach. I say the beach was so-so because the water looked dirty and kind of brown like american beaches and the water was choppy and cold. The sand was full of cigarette butts and bottle caps, but if you just wanted to lay by the beach it had a lot of sand and lots of vendors and people, and could be a fun beach, just not my idea of an idyllic pretty caribbean beach.

Anyway, the Embassy Suites was a nice hotel and it had free breakfast, but I would consider other hotels when I go back next summer, probably the Sheraton in Old San Juan because at least you can walk around the town without needing a cab. You will need a cab to and from the airport, and to and from the cruise pier, because the pier is not in walking distance to any hotels.

We rented a car when we went, so that we could visit the rainforest. I thought the car rental was worth it for the ability to explore and go there, but its a bit of a hassle to return the car, since it has to be taken back to the airport, and then a cab has to be taken from the airport to the cruise terminal. But it made it cheaper to go go various places without a cab.

I hear that there is fun night life for dancing and eating in old San Juan, and that there are nicer beaches on the other side of the island, but we had kids in tow and didn't explore those things.

Id also suggest the Biobay if you're there when it's not a full moon. There are kayak tours at night through the bay where you can see the bioluminescence from the dinoflagellates (micro-organisms) in the water. Vieques and Fajardo (cities/islands) near these bays, may also be nicer places to stay because the beaches are prettier and on the caribbean (instead of the Atlantic) side of the island, I believe.

You can stay wherever you want on the island as long as you're willing to rent a car and drive a bit, or pay a cab. Just account for the hour or so of drive time.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

This past October we stayed at the Condado Plaza Hilton. See link to my Adventure of the Seas review below staring in Post #18 with my review and pictures of the hotel, the area and other details of our 2 day pre cruise stay in Old San Juan! :cool:

This past October we stayed at the Condado Plaza Hilton. See link to my Adventure of the Seas review below staring in Post #18 with my review and pictures of the hotel, the area and other details of our 2 day pre cruise stay in Old San Juan! :cool:

I just read your review and it was great! I am going after the refurb (a year after). I'm already reading up on everything. It's been since 1997 since we went on a Southern itinerary and I'm excited to get back!

I just read your review and it was great! I am going after the refurb (a year after). I'm already reading up on everything. It's been since 1997 since we went on a Southern itinerary and I'm excited to get back!

You will enjoy! I love the Southern itinerary! :cool:

Adventure is a great ship and will be even better after the refurb. I will be happy for the additions of the extra restaurants.

As much as I enjoyed my Allure sailing, my preference is Voyager and Freedom class. They are the perfect size. You will have an amazing time. SJ is also my favourite departure port ... so much to do and I never feel like I have enough time.