Packing light

renesir

Trying to pack light for my Alaska cruise. Is there any laundry facilities on princess island?

There are some areas in alaska, where some princess ships

disable self-serve laundries, because they can't store all the

waste water.

There are some areas in alaska, where some princess ships

disable self-serve laundries, because they can't store all the

waste water.

I didn't realize this. Does anyone know details about which ships disable self-serve laundries and where they do this?

The only time I was able to get the washing machines was very early in the morning. The laundry stays packed all the time. Each laundry room only has 3 or 4 washers same amount of dryers, one or more will usually be out of order. I hate doing laundry on a cruise. To much to see and do in Alaska plan to get in and out early in the morning so you don't miss anything.

Trying to pack light for my Alaska cruise. Is there any laundry facilities on princess island?

Yes. You might want to purchase your own detergent before you board ship(if able)I don't like the stuff you get on the ship. Do keep an eye on the time. Some pax are ruthless when they see unattended machines with wet(or dry clothes) in them. Not all of us are so nice as to press and fold others laundry(though I don't know why!)

We were also told that everybody seems to want to do their laundry while the ship is doing scenic cruising (Glacier Bay, College Fjord, etc.). Probably a bad time to plan for if you are packing light.

If you are packing light because of a cruisetour then consider putting shipboard clothes into a bigger suitcase that can be checked during the land portion - Princess does this for no charge.

I have actually never seen anyone in the laundry room on our last dozen cruises or so. I guess I have not sailed to Alaska on Princess in quite some time. We oftentimes book right across from the laundry room simply because it has always been a very quiet location. Maybe different itineraries have different laundry needs.

Anyhow, there is a laundromat on every deck so if one is full, you can always check on another. The one that is closest to your room isn't necessarily the one that is on your same deck.

If you don't want to spend your time doing laundry, the ship's service isn't really all that pricey and they usually do a pretty good job. Or ... you can always take some woolite and just hand wash your clothing ... either hang to dry or see if there is an empty dryer when everyone is hogging the washing machines. :confused:

On our Alaska visit, we did the land tour first. Shortly after finding our cabin on the ship, I went straight to the laundry to clean up our clothes from the land tour. Laundry room totally empty. On the 7 night cruise, I did laundry twice, both times around 5pm. We preferred to eat later at Anytime Dining and it seemed a good time to get laundry done. I too seek out a cabin fairly close to the laundry room, have never heard any noise as they have two doors going into the laundry itself and it seems to contain any machine noise. And I agree with the above, I take along detergent pods and Bounce in a small ziploc, very easy.

Do keep an eye on the time. Some pax are ruthless when they see unattended machines with wet(or dry clothes) in them. Not all of us are so nice as to press and fold others laundry(though I don't know why!)

I never had to empty a machine but I doubt I would've folded the clothes if I had!

The machines on Princess clearly state how long the cycle is. If the laundry is busy, it's plain bad manners not to come back in good time to empty your machine so others can use it, IMO.

I never had to empty a machine but I doubt I would've folded the clothes if I had!

The machines on Princess clearly state how long the cycle is. If the laundry is busy, it's plain bad manners not to come back in good time to empty your machine so others can use it, IMO.

Agree about it being bad manners not to empty machines in a timely fashion..but surprised how many people fail to return for the end of their cycle.