explorer of the seas cabin layout and newbie questions

I have been wondering if there are any pics of how family oceanview cabins are laid out? In particular the pullman bed and 3rd childs bed?

Also ive read many negative reviews that the boat was overcrowded and that access to ice rink etc was limited.

Is the wait time for food excessive?

Also our youngest will not be 3 during the cruise so we have just accounted for the hourly cost of her attendance in the royal tots nursery.

Clean cruising assured me that we can drop her off but it will cost an hourly fee.

Has anyone used this service and is it something i need to pre book on the first day or can i just walk in if we decide we would like a few hours off?

What were peoples experiences of cruising the South Pacific?

I thought i pre paid gratuities through clean cruising but i keep reading that they are added onto a daily cost per person ?

Also does anyone have a drinks price list??

I didn't realise RC still price in USD for sailings out of Sydney.

I have also talked my parents into coming along on this cruise and plan on surprising them by having it all paid for so it's important to me that i know all the costs so i can be saving enough money each week to pay for the 7 of us going.

TIA to anyone who replies im open to everyones wisdom.

i cant help with the kid questions as I don't have children but those in my family that do have always loved it.

Gratuities are something that you can prepay if you wish or they are added to your onboard account on board the ship. a side note to this if you want to remove or adjust them onboard you can but not if you prepay, there are many opinions on this but remember the decision is yours, you may not want to pay for the kids (again someone will probably comment on this) or you many wish to pay in cash, or not at all. i am not offering my opinion on tipping just giving you the options.

yes it sucks that everything is in USA dollars as our dollar keeps going down. I would suggest you look at drink packages for this that are drinkers, these can be pre purchased or brought on the cruise both ways are easy, i find its a great way to budget as the drinks are expensive (especially given the Aussie dollar) and as not everyone in the cabin needs to have one a cheaper way of doing it. I know that i drink at least 5-7 alcoholic drinks in a day and several soft drinks so at around 10-15 Aussies dollars and 5 Aussies dollars each it adds up quick. My partner is a beer drinker and when sitting by the pool it adds up really quickly!!!!

the south Pacific is a great trip, we did it with our family (all 22 of us) about five years ago, we had the two of us and my 2 grown step daughter, my regret is not researching the tours available and booked them on the cruise costing about 5 times what local operators are offering. look on here in the south pacific thread there is alway great tips.

Things to bring are, medicine, a good first aid kit with things like, pain killers, sea sick tablets, stop gastro, band aids, these are really expensive on the ships and you will be glad to have brought them they are needed (out of 5 cruise used items at least 3 times). A highlighter to mark things on the daily info sheets that way you won't miss anything. sticky notes, great for leaving each other messages and your cabin attendant. i also bring large bull dog clips to attach to the shower curtain to stop it sticking when showering. Go to Katmandu and get a clothes line, great for wet bathers, i find the one in the shower never big enough. Last but definitely not least is a power point adaptor if not Aussie power point is available, most cruise ships run on UK and USA power points.

My last bit of advice is that if you want to do a nice dinner, book the first night, often offer great deals and savings and a nice way to start the cruise.

Ok that was a lot, hope a little of it is helpful

Please double check that Explorer has the Royal Babies and Tots Nursery...I seem to think that it only has the Royal Tots Program and not the nursery...a big difference.

Ashland is correct, no nursery where you can pay to leave under 3s on Explorer. I think it was due to be added during dry dock but was definitely not there last June. Also no pool or splash area for children not fully toilet trained.

"I have also talked my parents into coming along on this cruise and plan on surprising them by having it all paid for so it's important to me that i know all the costs so i can be saving enough money each week to pay for the 7 of us going...."

You can take care of all your parents' costs while on the ship by putting down your credit card. This way you don't have to prepaid gratuity.

Edited by gochina

Ashland is correct, no nursery where you can pay to leave under 3s on Explorer. I think it was due to be added during dry dock but was definitely not there last June. Also no pool or splash area for children not fully toilet trained.

It was due to be added during the last drydock (2015) but a decision was made to not add it....the same decision was made for Jewel...Personally I think a bad one....Many families that sail with little ones will now possibly have to opt for those RCI ships that do have the Nursery.

Some recent cruiser's have been confused lately (according to these boards) and have assumed just because the Royal Tots Program is offered onboard that the Royal Babies and Tots Nursery is the same.....so everyone please pay attention to the "wording".

Edited by Ashland

Buried in this link of photos is a set of pics of our Family Panoramic OV, cabin 1854.

Great room. 2 bunks, a fold out couch and a king. Tons of room.

These are great photos and that cabin would be perfect for our family! How far out did you book to get this room?

Thank you everyone for your responses, all very helpful.

There is no nursery on Explorer or Voyager. Damn.

Currently looking at all the other ships that go to South Pacific from Sydney. Many have kids club from earlier than age 3 but seems RCI and Carnival are the ones that have lots of facilities for kids so im undecided what to do.