Pure Unadulterated Whining - Miami/Splendor

euphscott

Honestly, this is so stupid. It's about money; .

Quoted for truth.

Business logic 101...

We're raking profits, but we want to make more... how? We'll preclude everyone from bringing water or anything in bottles, hide it under the guise of smuggling/safety because that is believable and there are plenty of gullible folks who will easily swallow that lie. In a few years we're going to ratchet the prices of what we sell to them AND we're going to increase the "recommended" daily charge while we pay our non-white workers less per hour. 5 digit raises for everyone but the actual workers as we're cutting the # of staff. :eek:

No - I think you miss my point.

I know people were smuggling alcohol. But one small water bottle creates less of a danger than those sitting in the lounge with soda or a glass bottle of wine. Asingle bottle of water is not a security issue.

It's purely an economic play on Carnival's part.

And I'll be honest here. I would have only been mildly annoyed (as compared to tongue in cheek moderate annoyance now) if I'd not had to sit in a lounge for 3 hours waiting to board a ship. I kept thinking, surely any moment now we will board, so I did not want to have to try to scrape together some small change or bills to buy water.

I understand. Soda is not allowed in bottles so I don't know why that happened. Never have seen that since the new policy went into effect.

It holds up security by them having to check every single bottle to see if it contains alcohol so they did away with them altogether. Hey it doesn't matter if it was for monetary reasons or like they claim "for guest safety". Their ship, their rules. The only thing we can do is be prepared by knowing the rules ahead of time and planning accordingly. I like the idea of bringing an empty bottle to fill up at the water fountain while waiting.

Quoted for truth.

Business logic 101...

We'll preclude everyone from bringing water or anything in bottles, hide it under the guise of smuggling/safety because that is believable and there are plenty of gullible folks who will easily swallow that lie. In a few years we're going to ratchet the prices of what we sell to them AND we're going to

Oh and swallow they have....and within less than 6mos that $2.99 pak of water went to $3.99....still a good deal...but....simply amazing how many chose to believe the smuggling story, when they disbelieve so much else the cruise line "tells" them....

Oh and swallow they have....and within less than 6mos that $2.99 pak of water went to $3.99....still a good deal...but....simply amazing how many chose to believe the smuggling story, when they disbelieve so much else the cruise line "tells" them....

Who cares? I don't drink water anyway so their reasoning means nothing to me. I could bring a 12 pack of Diet Coke with me but that's too much hassle so I just buy the Bottomless Bubbles Package. That's the nice thing about cruising. We all have choices. Life's too short to sweat the small stuff. Buy water in cartons or cans if you don't want Carnival to make a few bucks.

Besides if it was strictly about money I would think they would just ban all carry on beverages whether they be in cans or cartons. Anyway, I don't feel the need to critique every new policy they have. If I find that too many things bother me then I will simply switch cruise lines. Although it seems like they all like to play follow the leader quite a bit so it may become harder to find another line with different ways of doing things.

Edited by firemanbobswife

This was at Port of Miami? It seems weird that there are several reports of delayed/lengthy boarding (PoM, FLL, Galvaston)when a few years ago everything seemed to be so smooth.:confused:

Edited by RjayB

Well yes they are. It's because people were smuggling alcohol in them.

This is the biggest fallacy on this board. Carnival has even admitted that smugglers were not the reason that they implemented the no bottles except one wine to be brought on board. Why people keep saying this is laughable. By the way if you think you can't smuggle alcohol in cans you are completely wrong. People are still smuggling and no I will not say how, and NO I do not smuggle alcohol on board anymore.

Honestly, this is so stupid. It's about money; not about passenger safety. one of the reasons I'm pretty close to be done with the cruise industry after my September cruise.

of course it's about money. carnival is being robbed blind by smugglers and they finally are putting a stop to it. smuggling alcohol onto a ship is no different than smuggling a shrimp cocktail into red lobster so you have can an appetizer without paying for it. :eek:

and the bad thing is if a friend who came to dinner with you at red lobster whipped a shrimp cocktail out of their purse and started eating it most everyone would be like 'what the hell.....' but when someone pulls out a rum runner on their balcony everyone is like 'smart thinking.....way to go.....'. pretty sad. :(

Just an FYI - when I cruised from NOLA in 2013, I had my Tervis cup with me filled with water. I had to pour the water out (or drink it up) before I could enter the port. Now, I bring my Tervis empty to the port. Then I can always fill it again at a water fountain.

Sounds like it might be more of a port thing than a Carnival thing.

also, an empty bottle can be brought and taken on board. it's full bottles that are not allowed. so if one wants to sip on water in the terminal, bring and empty bottle and then fill it up at a water fountain after you are past the security checkpoint.

conspiracy theories are a moot point. doesn't matter in the slightest what one believes as to why bottles were banned. smuggling, profits, security, it just doesn't matter. all that matters is carnival changed the rules and you have to option to abide by the new rules or not sail with carnival. that really is the end of the story. :cool:

okay, there is also the option of whining here but it will do no one any good. :D

This is the biggest fallacy on this board. Carnival has even admitted that smugglers were not the reason that they implemented the no bottles except one wine to be brought on board. Why people keep saying this is laughable. By the way if you think you can't smuggle alcohol in cans you are completely wrong. People are still smuggling and no I will not say how, and NO I do not smuggle alcohol on board anymore.

Really? Never saw that but I did see where John Heald confirmed that's why. What is the reasoning then that they banned bottles and not cartons and cans as well? Because it's easy to replace water/soda with alcohol. Contrary to what the Conspiracy Theorists like to believe it is the reason. They used to have to shake all the bottles to see if they bubbled. Very time consuming and holds up the line at the port. If it was strictly about money then they would have just banned all beverages. At least when it comes to water. Of course they don't want to lose out on alcohol purchases as it's also illegal to bring booze onboard with the exception of the one wine/champagne bottle.

There was a review on here where a poster flaunted in Carnival's face that she walked right past security with her "water bottle" filled with booze. Shortly thereafter bottles were banned. Coincidence? Perhaps.

of course it's about money. carnival is being robbed blind by smugglers and they finally are putting a stop to it. smuggling alcohol onto a ship is no different than smuggling a shrimp cocktail into red lobster so you have can an appetizer without paying for it. :eek:

and the bad thing is if a friend who came to dinner with you at red lobster whipped a shrimp cocktail out of their purse and started eating it most everyone would be like 'what the hell.....' but when someone pulls out a rum runner on their balcony everyone is like 'smart thinking.....way to go.....'. pretty sad. :(

hahahahahahaha. Oh man I have a bridge to sell you in Wyoming too if you think less than 1% of the passengers bringing in a bottle of vodka is actually "robbing them blind". I suppose the contrary is that now Carnival is robbing ME blind?

Edited by topofE

Sounds like OP wanted a special exemption from the rules and is upset because it wasn't granted. Oh well. Follow the rules.

Nope - I was not looking for any exemption. I just wanted my one small bottle of water so I could stay hydrated while I sat in a warm and crowded lounge for 3 hours. As an aside - the water was given to me by my hotel as a thank you for staying at check out - so it was a fluky circumstance I had the water in the first place.

And while I'd heard the rules about not bringing in cases of water, I was caught a bit off guard by one single unopened bottle - but soda and wine - plentiful throughout the lounge.

Lighten up folks - I told you I was whining - I admitted as much up front and did so tongue in cheek. Life went on and for the most part I enjoyed the voyage. I did not write to John Heald, did not ask for a free cruise nor a refund of my most expensive excursion. I just wanted some water - to drink - before I got on the ship, where I was happy to pay the fare for any drink choices I made.

And just to be a little more of a turd - I could point out that stopping me and telling me I had to leave my bottle of water behind - yeah, that slowed the security line down more!

hahahahahahaha. Oh man I have a bridge to sell you in Wyoming too if you think less than 1% of the passengers bringing in a bottle of vodka is actually "robbing them blind". I suppose the contrary is that now Carnival is robbing ME blind?

i think anyone breaking the rules by beining an unauthorized product on board in lieu of purchasing what is there is 'robbing someone blind'. if you wish to disagree with my choice of words for theft, stealing, etc.....that is fine, but it's still theft to me.

btw, there are rivers in wyoming. you attempt at sarcasm might have worked better if you had a bridge for sell in a desert....then again, i have no need for a bridge anyway. :rolleyes:

now as for your statement that carnival is robbing you blind, feel free to explain. you volunteered......actually paid.....to go on a cruise knowing full well what the expectations were and yet you feel robbed. lol.......do you even understand what the word 'robbed' means. :confused: let me know when someone puts a gun to your head and tells you to go on a cruise and order copious amounts of alcohol or die. lol :p

Edited by Computer Nerd

Bringing onboard booze is most assuredly not theft or stealing, it is simply breach of the contract of carriage.

Any more than Carnival charging $100 for a bottle of booze through Bon Voyage that they sell in the gift store for $19.99.... but that certainly FEELS like Carnival is stealing!

Edited by TrinaLC

OP, I would have been bummed too. I can't go 3 hours without a bottle of water! Glad to read this, though, and will bring an empty bottle with me to fill from the fountain...I would never have thought of that without your thread, so thanks!

OP, I would have been bummed too. I can't go 3 hours without a bottle of water! Glad to read this, though, and will bring an empty bottle with me to fill from the fountain...I would never have thought of that without your thread, so thanks!

Three pages later - my tongue in cheek rant has served a genuine purpose! :)

also, an empty bottle can be brought and taken on board. it's full bottles that are not allowed. so if one wants to sip on water in the terminal, bring and empty bottle and then fill it up at a water fountain after you are past the security checkpoint.

I had an empty plastic water bottle in my carry on and they took it. Did not matter that it was empty. I chalked it up to her having a bad day.

This happened in Baltimore.

Any more than Carnival charging $100 for a bottle of booze through Bon Voyage that they sell in the gift store for $19.99.... but that certainly FEELS like Carnival is stealing!

Amen. The markup is outrageous.

Well since Bon Voyage liquor can be consumed on board and gift store liquor is strictly for take home it makes perfect sense. Why would they charge less?

Just a confirmation here as it has been 3 years since the last cruise. you can bring canned soda aboard ( I drink pepsi) a 12 pack per person and also coconut water that is in a carton correct just not bottled water but you can get this before boarding and have it delivered to your room?