Pure Unadulterated Whining - Miami/Splendor

euphscott

That's all this is - you've been warned!

So I had an 11:00-11:30 arrival window (this was the Splendor 5/26 Journeys cruise). In actuality about 10:50 they let us join the line and go inside the terminal. But we did witness many lined up that were in the 11:30 or later and they were turning those folks away.

We get up to security, I have all my paperwork, and we place our items on the security belt and are stopped. My unopened bottle of water was confiscated. It was a single bottle. It was brought to sip on while we waited to board. Alas this is not allowed.

However - cue the whining - if I had chosen to drag a cart load of soda (both cans and bottles observed) I would have been good to go.

No big deal to me, except we did not know an immigration check was delaying the disembarkation of the prior cruise and our embarkation. So....we sat in the lounge until after 1:00 before we proceeded to the ship.

So - for the safety and sanity of all families of grumpy old men (apparently I am one now according to my wife), don't try to bring in a bottle of water to sip in the waiting lounge to remain hydrated. But bring all the soda you like. No worries there...

It's been known for quite some time that bottles are no longer allowed either singly or in cases. Sorry you weren't aware of this. Glad they are enforcing their rules.

If what the Op states was accurate, then they are not enforcing their rules. From the OP (bolding is mine):

"However - cue the whining - if I had chosen to drag a cart load of soda (both cans and bottles observed) I would have been good to go."

If what the Op states was accurate, then they are not enforcing their rules. From the OP (bolding is mine):

"However - cue the whining - if I had chosen to drag a cart load of soda (both cans and bottles observed) I would have been good to go."

So they say. I don't believe that they allowed soda bottles onboard. They were more than likely discarded and the OP just chose to focus on the fact that his single water bottle was confiscated. They don't allow bottles onboard besides one bottle of wine. Haven't heard of that policy changing or anyone reporting otherwise.

Most all soda bottles nowadays are plastic. Most wine bottles are glass. I see a distinction here in that soda in cans or plastic bottles is fine. Glass? Not so much.

Wine (in glass bottles ARE allowed), water or soda in any bottle (primarily in plastic) are not. It doesn't have anything to do with the type of bottle, just the fact that people were smuggling alcohol in water/soda bottles. Cans are still allowed as they can't be opened and resealed.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Honestly, this is so stupid. It's about money; not about passenger safety. one of the reasons I'm pretty close to be done with the cruise industry after my September cruise.

Its not stupid .Its fantastic. They give you option to buy very cheap water before cruise ,they even deliver it to your cabin . Very nice done by Canival.

I was on that cruise with Scott. Boarding won the award for worst embarkation in 12 Carnival cruises. Immigrations check wasn't an excuse for the mess in the waiting area. Lack of organization was the issue. I have boarded with immigration check, food inspection and computers that shut down. All were better organized.

Its not stupid .Its fantastic. They give you option to buy very cheap water before cruise ,they even deliver it to your cabin . Very nice done by Canival.

Except that does me no good to have any water sitting in my cabin when I can't get on the ship for 3 hours. I had the bottle simply to hydrate while I waited to board...

Although they will sell you water in the vending machines...

I was on that cruise with Scott. Boarding won the award for worst embarkation in 12 Carnival cruises. Immigrations check wasn't an excuse for the mess in the waiting area. Lack of organization was the issue. I have boarded with immigration check, food inspection and computers that shut down. All were better organized.

It was quite the cluster wasn't it?

And it continued on board as nothing seemed ready to roll. Thankfully things smoothed out by the second day of the cruise, but it was not a solid start!

Except that does me no good to have any water sitting in my cabin when I can't get on the ship for 3 hours. I had the bottle simply to hydrate while I waited to board...

It's no different than at the airport. You can't bring it through security, but you can buy it there. They know what's in it when it's purchased in the vending machine. They don't if you carry it onboard.

So they say. I don't believe that they allowed soda bottles onboard. They were more than likely discarded and the OP just chose to focus on the fact that his single water bottle was confiscated. They don't allow bottles onboard besides one bottle of wine. Haven't heard of that policy changing or anyone reporting otherwise.

Nope - I saw soda bottles make it past security.

I knew the rules, and yeah, I made a mistake in bringing the bottle. But the spirit of the rule is to prevent folks from bypassing Carnival profit centers. I don't buy water onboard, that's silly when perfectly good tap water is paid for in my cruise fare.

I just was annoyed (and I warned you I was whining!) that if I wanted to "hydrate" via sodas or even wine I was good - but a lone bottle of water - no dice...

Nope - I saw soda bottles make it past security.

I knew the rules, and yeah, I made a mistake in bringing the bottle. But the spirit of the rule is to prevent folks from bypassing Carnival profit centers. I don't buy water onboard, that's silly when perfectly good tap water is paid for in my cruise fare.

I just was annoyed (and I warned you I was whining!) that if I wanted to "hydrate" via sodas or even wine I was good - but a lone bottle of water - no dice...

Well there no reason why soda bottles should have made it past. All bottles are prohibited with the exception of wine.

It's no different than at the airport. You can't bring it through security, but you can buy it there. They know what's in it when it's purchased in the vending machine. They don't if you carry it onboard.

Except they are not preventing you from bringing water in for security reasons at the cruise terminal...

Just an FYI - when I cruised from NOLA in 2013, I had my Tervis cup with me filled with water. I had to pour the water out (or drink it up) before I could enter the port. Now, I bring my Tervis empty to the port. Then I can always fill it again at a water fountain.

Sounds like it might be more of a port thing than a Carnival thing.

We always bring an empty water bottle through airport security and once we are through security we fill it with water at a fountain. I guess we will try it when we get on board in October.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Can you take any liquid through airport security NO, you can Buy once inside. The cruise terminal/security is no different.

More than likely it's more for security than making you buy something from a machine.

You can take an empty plastic bottle and fill up at water fountain while you wait. I always take one, water the plants just before security if any water left, and take that for the wait.

Well yes they are. It's because people were smuggling alcohol in them.

No - I think you miss my point.

I know people were smuggling alcohol. But one small water bottle creates less of a danger than those sitting in the lounge with soda or a glass bottle of wine. Asingle bottle of water is not a security issue.

It's purely an economic play on Carnival's part.

And I'll be honest here. I would have only been mildly annoyed (as compared to tongue in cheek moderate annoyance now) if I'd not had to sit in a lounge for 3 hours waiting to board a ship. I kept thinking, surely any moment now we will board, so I did not want to have to try to scrape together some small change or bills to buy water.

They have water fountains in the waiting area. I have never had an issue.:cool: