Fare viewer/ different early savers

Ck13cruise

Ok so can someone explain to me why I have early saver for price protection lowest price guarantee. My cruise is paid for and I have a $50 obc. So I check fare viewer today and I see 2 promotions for early saver one in which says last call sale. Well that one the cruise would be $30 cheaper total for me. So I call and the lady tells me if I take that promotion I will lose my current OBC. Why is that?

Most likely because you booked with a special offer that included OBC and now you are looking to change your booking to a different fare that does not offer OBC.

Just another FYI for other cruisers, if you prepaid your tips at the lower fare and try to price match, the tip will be adjusted to the higher amount.

Well that one the cruise would be $30 cheaper total for me.

When you compute the new fare, you need to take into account the loss of your OBC. The new fare might not be a better deal if your OBC brings the cost down to below the new fare.

For instance, if your current fare is $599 per person and you got $25 OBC per person with that fare, that would be better than a new fare which is $579 per person with no OBC.

As someone above said, when you ask for a price match, it's a match to the entire new deal, not just the price.

Since you are pretty new to Cruise Critic, you probably haven't read all the threads that have discussed this.

As others have mentioned, if you change to a new promotion, you lose what you have, unless the new promotion includes an OBC.

In your case, it isn't worth it for you to change to new promotion. You want a drop that will be more than $50, or start gambling and take the price drop and hope for more.

Edited by crzndeb

Ok so can someone explain to me why I have early saver for price protection lowest price guarantee. My cruise is paid for and I have a $50 obc. So I check fare viewer today and I see 2 promotions for early saver one in which says last call sale. Well that one the cruise would be $30 cheaper total for me. So I call and the lady tells me if I take that promotion I will lose my current OBC. Why is that?

Keep what you got.

Since you are pretty new to Cruise Critic, you probably haven't read all the threads that have discussed this.

As others have mentioned, if you change to a new promotion, you lose what you have, unless the new promotion includes an OBC.

In your case, it isn't worth it for you to change to new promotion. You want a drop that will be more than $50, or start gambling and take the price drop and hope for more.

Actually I'm not new to cruise critic. I've done the price matching before and never had a problem. With this cruise instead of them giving me obc before I paid it off they just took it off the price. I've had this booked for a year and half. My point is I don't understand why you book early if you do watch and find it cheaper but you loose your obc. It is misleading because they don't say that in the info for early saver. All you need is the sail date, same category, current promotion, and they'll do the rest.

Actually I'm not new to cruise critic. I've done the price matching before and never had a problem. With this cruise instead of them giving me obc before I paid it off they just took it off the price. I've had this booked for a year and half. My point is I don't understand why you book early if you do watch and find it cheaper but you loose your obc. It is misleading because they don't say that in the info for early saver. All you need is the sail date, same category, current promotion, and they'll do the rest.

There a difference between how you want it to work and how it works.

Current promotion isn't the promotion you booked under. You booked under a previous promotion.

One of the clearest bits of legalese I've read.

Edited by SadieN

Current promotion isn't the promotion you booked under. You booked under a previous promotion.

One of the clearest bits of legalese I've read.

I understand that. I guess its just not a good one to choose. I dont understand how people get massive amounts of obc. My category is high so I know those are the first to sell out also. I think I would much rather have the room on the deck I want then obc anyway. My rate is really low. Thanks everyone for your nice comments to me.

Just another FYI for other cruisers, if you prepaid your tips at the lower fare and try to price match, the tip will be adjusted to the higher amount.

So long as the cruise is after the new increase goes into effect, which is September 1.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I dont understand how people get massive amounts of obc. My category is high so I know those are the first to sell out also. I think I would much rather have the room on the deck I want then obc anyway. My rate is really low.

People can get massive amounts of OBC when their rate isn't really low to begin with, as you state yours is.

Also, if your deck is one of the first to sell out, that would also make it harder to get OBC.

I booked my cruise (2 cabins) in January. In February, I wound up with a price decrease of $10 overall for just one of the cabins. (It was $60 decrease in price but we lost the $50 OBC. I'd rather have the price decrease than OBC, especially six months out.) For three months, prices were stagnant or above what we paid.

In May, the prices for our cabins finally decreased by a nice amount, and on top of that, there was a special resident rate we qualified for, where we wound up saving $700 between the two cabins.

Certainly our price decrease was not expected, so I think some of the massive OBC that people get with regard to ES is luck. (We took the price decrease rather than OBC since we were still before final payment, but we still have a tiny bit of OBC because for one cabin, the May price reduction was more than what we still owed on that cabin.)

I understand that. I guess its just not a good one to choose. I dont understand how people get massive amounts of obc. My category is high so I know those are the first to sell out also. I think I would much rather have the room on the deck I want then obc anyway. My rate is really low. Thanks everyone for your nice comments to me.

I was able to get $740.in OBC a cpl years ago and I was in an aft wrap on the Breeze. If you have other OBC from price drops, you are able to keep that. The only time you lose OBC with ES, is if you price match from a rate that offers OBC as a promotion.

Edited by vwrestler171

People can get massive amounts of OBC when their rate isn't really low to begin with, as you state yours is.

Also, if your deck is one of the first to sell out, that would also make it harder to get OBC.

I booked my cruise (2 cabins) in January. In February, I wound up with a price decrease of $10 overall for just one of the cabins. (It was $60 decrease in price but we lost the $50 OBC. I'd rather have the price decrease than OBC, especially six months out.) For three months, prices were stagnant or above what we paid.

In May, the prices for our cabins finally decreased by a nice amount, and on top of that, there was a special resident rate we qualified for, where we wound up saving $700 between the two cabins.

Certainly our price decrease was not expected, so I think some of the massive OBC that people get with regard to ES is luck. (We took the price decrease rather than OBC since we were still before final payment, but we still have a tiny bit of OBC because for one cabin, the May price reduction was more than what we still owed on that cabin.)

Yes I agree. Im hopeful but im not planning on it. Lol we always book on Lido but our rate is great

I was able to get $740.in OBC a cpl years ago and I was in an aft wrap on the Breeze. If you have other OBC from price drops, you are able to keep that. The only time you lose OBC with ES, is if you price match from a rate that offers OBC as a promotion.

I would love to hear the details of how you ended up with such a windfall of OBC with an aft-wrap. We are on the Valor in 6452 in a couple of months (well, 60 days to be exact!) and I was just thinking this morning how I probably will not see any drops or adjustments because there are only SIX 9C cabins on the whole ship. Am I not looking at this accurately? Every time I use fare viewer or do a mock booking there are no 9C cabins available, so I figured I am stuck at the price I have (yes, we booked ES).

I would love to hear the details of how you ended up with such a windfall of OBC with an aft-wrap. We are on the Valor in 6452 in a couple of months (well, 60 days to be exact!) and I was just thinking this morning how I probably will not see any drops or adjustments because there are only SIX 9C cabins on the whole ship. Am I not looking at this accurately? Every time I use fare viewer or do a mock booking there are no 9C cabins available, so I figured I am stuck at the price I have (yes, we booked ES).

They had the wraps on deck 9 originally classed as 8D cabins so when they dropped the 8D cabins prices, I was able to take advantage of it. They found out and reclassed them as 9C's but I fought them because I booked it as an 8D. When I originally booked, the room was $1800ish, and then by the time I cruised, it was $1150ish.

They had the wraps on deck 9 originally classed as 8D cabins so when they dropped the 8D cabins prices, I was able to take advantage of it. They found out and reclassed them as 9C's but I fought them because I booked it as an 8D. When I originally booked, the room was $1800ish, and then by the time I cruised, it was $1150ish.

Nicely done!