Anthem Eastern Vs Anthem Western

I am planning to book our family of 4 on Anthem of the Seas this week while Kids Sail Free is running but I am making myself crazy between trying to choose between October 29's 12 day western itinerary (Labadee, Falmouth, Grand Cayman, Roatan, Costa Maya and Cozumel) vs November 10's 10 day eastern itinerary (San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Kitts and St.Thomas). I can't make up my mind and I need some opinions!!! Which itinerary would the majority select ? Thanks to anyone who can offer their advice, I am one indecisive momma :(

I am planning to book our family of 4 on Anthem of the Seas this week while Kids Sail Free is running but I am making myself crazy between trying to choose between October 29's 12 day western itinerary (Labadee, Falmouth, Grand Cayman, Roatan, Costa Maya and Cozumel) vs November 10's 10 day eastern itinerary (San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Kitts and St.Thomas). I can't make up my mind and I need some opinions!!! Which itinerary would the majority select ? Thanks to anyone who can offer their advice, I am one indecisive momma :(

The western itinerary is cursed.

Book it and you will end up going east anyway.

:eek: :p ;) :D

Same price for same cabin?

I normally favor the eastern/southern islands much better, but the 12 day 6 port cruise in your case wins hands down imho ...

especially with kids, and even sweeter if price is the same between the two

Well I definitely don't want to go on a cursed itinerary lol :p , the western comes in at about 500 more than the eastern so not a large amount for the two extra dayys. I guess I am just curious if those eastern ports are dramatically more beautiful than the western ones? I like a more lush looking vegetation . hmmmm what to do , what to do lol

Well I definitely don't want to go on a cursed itinerary lol :p , the western comes in at about 500 more than the eastern so not a large amount for the two extra days. I guess I am just curious if those eastern ports are dramatically more beautiful than the western ones? I like a more lush looking vegetation . hmmmm what to do , what to do lol

Where you from "neighbor"? ;)

$500 (US$ or CA$?) more total for all 4 of you? So for $125 more pp you get 2 extra days on Anthem plus two more ports/beaches?

tough choice as the Eastern ports are superior to the Western imho, but for little cost you get 2 extra days for our whole family on the Western. In your shoes I would still do the western... but that's me. you'll have a great cruise no matter which you choose! :D

yeppers, 500 total ! I keep thinking that too, 500 seems small for two extra days in ports.... but my research keeps coming up constantly as eastern trumps western. Thanks for all the advice so far!!

ps. I am in Edmonton :)

yeppers, 500 total ! I keep thinking that too, 500 seems small for two extra days in ports.... but my research keeps coming up constantly as eastern trumps western. Thanks for all the advice so far!!

ps. I am in Edmonton :)

I don't know WHY Claudio thinks that the eastern ports are so much better than the western ones.

If you ignore the possibility that a huge storm will appear and blow you away, then I would DEFINITELY pick the October cruise.

Except..........are you going to pull the kids out of school?!?!?!?

We prefer the Eastern ports but I think we would book the western itinerary. We would only book the Eastern on a SanJuan departure I think...not big fans of all that time in the big ocean! I realize this is somewhat irrational!!

Do you celebrate Halloween? How old will your kids be?

That's a tough one as we have done both itineraries on Anthem and enjoyed each one equally.

Below is a link related to RCI shore excursions for each port which may help you decide on a sail date. I am leaning towards a longer sailing, 12 nights versus 10 nights.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithGallery.do?pagename=shore_excursions_main&cS=NAVBAR&pnav=3&snav=4

Why exactly is the Western Caribbean (Anthem) cursed? Hurricane's can happen...Please validate your statement. We are already booked on the 12 night Anthem in October, Western. I don't need to be anxious over a cruise!! Thanks.

I don't know WHY Claudio thinks that the eastern ports are so much better than the western ones.

Just personal likes/opinion. If I were to rate them in order from my own personal experiences:

1. S. Kitts
  2. S. Marten
  3. San Juan
  4. S. thomas
  5. Grand Caymen
  6. Roatan
  7. Costa Maya
  8. Cozumel
  9. Falmouth
  10. Labadee

So all 4 of the Eastern ports I personally rank higher than all 6 of the Western ports. Having said that, if I were in OP's shoes with kids and looking at price for 2 longer days on the cruise, I would be very happy with the Western itinerary. Case in point regarding my personal preferences... I haven't been on the western since May2014 and don't have an future bookings there! Been on Eastern/Southern plenty... Southern is the very best by a mile :D

In fact if OP can change to the Anthem Eastern/Southern route as we did on Q that would be the ultimate .. ie. Nov 27 is an awesome 12 day itinerary

Just personal likes/opinion. If I were to rate them in order from my own personal experiences:

1. S. Kitts
  2. S. Marten
  3. San Juan
  4. S. thomas
  5. Grand Caymen
  6. Roatan
  7. Costa Maya
  8. Cozumel
  9. Falmouth
  10. Labadee

So all 4 of the Eastern ports I personally rank higher than all 6 of the Western ports. Having said that, if I were in OP's shoes with kids and looking at price for 2 longer days on the cruise, I would be very happy with the Western itinerary. Case in point regarding my personal preferences... I haven't been on the western since May2014 and don't have an future bookings there! Been on Eastern/Southern plenty... Southern is the very best by a mile :D

In fact if OP can change to the Anthem Eastern/Southern route as we did on Q that would be the ultimate .. ie. Nov 27 is an awesome 12 day itinerary

I have only been on an eastern, three times (plus Bermuda which beats out ANYWHERE I've been including Hawaii but I guess it's not technically eastern caribbean) so I really can't say anything about the western although it doesn't interest me at all. BUT, my sister and BIL have been on 12 RCI cruises, eastern/western/southern, and agrees with your statement above that the southern is the best, next to that is eastern.

Edited by disgal

Thank you all so much for your advice and thoughts ! This is our first cruise to the Caribbean and I just want to make the best choice although I totally realize there is no wrong choice ! How blessed we all are :) Anyways, we settled on the 10 day Eastern itinerary in the end as it required 2 less days away from school for the kids and I like the thought of laying on beaches for those 3 eastern ports , we will cruise western next time ! (or likely Hawaii next and then western) Anyways, thank you all again , I just love cruise critic:p