Crown Princess to Alaska - R/T from Seattle - 4 June 2016 to 11 June 2016

journeycollector

How dressy did everyone get on the ship? We are sailing on the Crown on 7/30.

Thanks!!

We skipped the 2 formal nights in the MDR, but walking through the corridors and piazza, I noticed a couple of guys in tuxes--but more in suits or sportjackets and women in sparkly dresses, the classic little black dress, or pantsuits.

On non-formal nights in the MDR, it was a range. Some jeans, even non-collared shirts (please don't drag me into a dress code discussion...just reporting what I saw!) ;)

Outside of the MDR and just walking around the ship: Lots of people dressed like me: my trusty parka, jeans, hiking shoes.

Overall, it was much more casual than I expected, but reading through some of these forums, that's pretty typical of Alaskan cruises?

Have a great time on your cruise!

I am planning to buy a new jacket and like what everyone is talking about with the 2 piece columbia ones. When I tried on just the waterproof shells at the store, within seconds I felt like i was in a sauna and had to get them off.

Did you guys have the water resistant ones or waterproof. What worked on your trips best?

One of the best rated rain jackets is the Marmot Precip jacket. I just came back from Holland where it poured on us almost every day and it kept both me and my son dry and comfortable. If you do a google search you can probably find a version for between $60-$80. Layer this with a hoodie underneath (or t-shirt if it is raining but warm).

LOVE this jacket and would highly recommend it!

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Rain-Jacket-Reviews

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Rain-Jacket-Womens-Reviews

Edited by Lisichka

Thank you for such a wonderful review. I just adored your photos. I am busy planning a Alaskian cruise along with some land touring. Just deciding which way to go. Cruise/land tour with Princess or cruise and land tour independently.

Thanks! Definitely the next time we go to Alaska, we'll do a land tour...just not sure if it's Denali or Kenai. Decisions!

Thanks so much for the great review! Loved the detailed description of your journey and the beautiful pictures. We're going to be taking this cruise next summer, so I have it bookmarked to refer back to as the trip gets closer.

Was the crab at the Crab Shack Dungeness or Alaskan King Crab?

We are looking for a mostly point-and-shoot camera that takes beautiful pictures with a minimal amount of fuss and no photography experience. Would your Olympus be difficult to use for the complete novice?

Thanks, again!

Thanks so much for the great review! Loved the detailed description of your journey and the beautiful pictures. We're going to be taking this cruise next summer, so I have it bookmarked to refer back to as the trip gets closer.

Was the crab at the Crab Shack Dungeness or Alaskan King Crab?

We are looking for a mostly point-and-shoot camera that takes beautiful pictures with a minimal amount of fuss and no photography experience. Would your Olympus be difficult to use for the complete novice?

Thanks, again!

Answering my own dumb question about the crab, as I just noticed it was called the "King" crab shack!

Answering my own dumb question about the crab, as I just noticed it was called the "King" crab shack!

No problem! :)

In terms of a camera...I usually "cheat" and just use the automatic point-and-shoot mode and get some nice shots. But you can do lots of fancy stuff with it.

No problem! :)

In terms of a camera...I usually "cheat" and just use the automatic point-and-shoot mode and get some nice shots. But you can do lots of fancy stuff with it.

I really need to find a camera that will take nice pictures without knowing how to use the fancy stuff! I borrowed a good friend's camera for a quick outing, after he swore that it was really just a point-and-shoot. My pictures looked terrible, much worse than the ones my little pocket-sized Canon takes. When I asked him why they looked so bad compared to some of the beautiful ones he has taken, he admitted that he does a little "fiddling" with the settings! :rolleyes:

Your pictures are absolutely stunning!

How dressy did everyone get on the ship? We are sailing on the Crown on 7/30.

Thanks!!

We were on the Crown last September and will be back next month (August 13th). Last year's sailing was our first Alaskan experience and the most casual cruise I've ever been on. Not uncommon to see jeans in the dining room in the evening. Alaska cruises seem to be much more relaxed. You'd still see many dressed up (even a few tuxedos) on formal nights ... but not like other voyages.

What a great review! Loved seeing your pictures as well. Do you happen to have any additional Princess Patters you can share either here or via e-mail? Am going on this ship in a few weeks with a large group, including several kids. Would like to get an idea of the onboard activities offered for this kind of itinerary.

Thanks!

I really enjoyed your review. We were on the Star Princess in Alaska in 2003 (I think). Your review made me want to do another Princess cruise but Diamond status with Royal Caribbean will keep us wth them for a little while longer. We will be on Explorer of the Seas in Alaska in August.

Your photos are beautiful. Great review.

One of the best, most comprehensive reviews I have read, thank you so much for taking the time with commentary, Patters and BEAUTIFUL photos! We head out on the Crown 9/10/16 and you have put the trip on to my reality radar! :D

Great review! One question, did your mom & her boyfriend enjoy the 4x4 tour in Skagway? That's one of the options we are considering. Thanks!

Yes they did...very scenic and it included a salmon bake at the top of a mountain (or some sort of vista?). The only thing they were surprised about was a long ferry ride to get there and back. After being on the ship, they didn't feel like getting on another boat. :)

I really enjoyed your review. We were on the Star Princess in Alaska in 2003 (I think). Your review made me want to do another Princess cruise but Diamond status with Royal Caribbean will keep us wth them for a little while longer. We will be on Explorer of the Seas in Alaska in August.

Your photos are beautiful. Great review.

Thank you!...have a fabulous trip!

One of the best, most comprehensive reviews I have read, thank you so much for taking the time with commentary, Patters and BEAUTIFUL photos! We head out on the Crown 9/10/16 and you have put the trip on to my reality radar! :D

Thanks for the kind words...I'm ready to do it again! :)