How Free Style is Free Style

The Merrill

Because many of us have had the unfortunate experience of being handed a pager and made to wait 30+ minutes for a table, like I have on several NCL ships. That's why.

You were not "made" to wait, you volunteered to comply. You were free to walk away at any time and choose another dining alternative. There are always two, sometimes three MDRs, and on the NCL ships I've seen, 9 of them, usually only the larger, aft dining room has any sort of wait. And if you must, you CAN make a reservation, but of course you would then have to endure a 5 minute wait to actually be seated. I don't know how many of us manage to virtually just walk in, consistently, on every cruise, while others apparently are routinely "made" to wait 30 minutes. If what you are doing is not working for you, why not change your habits? Even 30 minutes later or earlier could make a big difference. Try a different dining time, or a different restaurant.

Edited by punkincc

As of yet we have not sailed on any of the larger ships. But with the Spirit, Jewel and Pearl have had no problems with waiting. A few times a 5 minute or so delay for the MDR, but never a need for a beeper. We almost always have been given a window table if we asked for it.

We did find on the Pearl that even with a reservation there was always a wait at Cagney's and if champagne had been offered it would have been appreciated!

Edited by kcwingwalker

You were not "made" to wait, you volunteered to comply. You were free to walk away at any time and choose another dining alternative. There are always two, sometimes three MDRs, and on the NCL ships I've seen, 9 of them, usually only the larger, aft dining room has any sort of wait. And if you must, you CAN make a reservation, but of course you would then have to endure a 5 minute wait to actually be seated. I don't know how many of us manage to virtually just walk in, consistently, on every cruise, while others apparently are routinely "made" to wait 30 minutes. If what you are doing is not working for you, why not change your habits? Even 30 minutes later or earlier could make a big difference. Try a different dining time, or a different restaurant.

If this isn't an apologist post, I don't know what is. I wasn't "made" to wait? Wow. :rolleyes:

We all have the decision to come back at another time, pick another dining time, etc. So yes you did have the decision to not wait.

Many people don't have patience (I sail with a person like this), a 10 minute wait will totally freak him out and he will be complaining the entire time. While others of us don't mind. We have waited 60+ minutes to eat at a restaurant at home, so what is a short wait while on vacation?

I go to Disney World and other amusement parks, so the whole waiting thing doesn't really bother me.

Though I really think they should have a separate line for those that made a reservation already. Why should you wait to then be past your reserved time?

We were a party of 6 on Escape recently, didn't make any MDR reservations, never had to wait, and we ate at varying times between 6 and 7.

If you go to any place where there are lots of people and everyone wants to do the same thing (amusement park, cruise ship, ropes course, restaurant)... there is going to be some sort of line. If you can't handle waiting in line, then go to those things when there are less crowds (early, off-peak season, etc). Or bring your phone so you can play Angry Birds, or slip a book into your pocket.

It seems to me that Americans as a whole are conditioned to demand everything instantly, and the thought of standing in line means that somebody on the other side of the line is providing bad service. I don't understand this mentality. The British and Canadians queue up for things and never complain.

I recently went to the local amusement park, and the new "thing" now is for parents to get their kids' doctors to write a note saying that their kids are "unable to wait in line" (perhaps due to ADHD or autism or the like). I overheard one mom talking to another mom telling her to get this note and admitted that her kids do NOT have ADHD. She just doesn't like waiting in line and said that everyone is doing it. I think this is a reprehensible attitude. She is teaching her kids to be entitled and spoiled.

I will be sure to post what happens on The Escape for the MDR reservations! :)

One of our experiences...

We requested an aft table for two (IMHO, best seats in the MDR).

The hostess said there may be a long wait, and handed us a buzzer.

We told her that instead of going to the bar, we were going to relax, and sit at the bench seat in the lobby, right across from her station, and watch the activities of other pax coming and going.

Two minutes later she said there was an opening.

We got the table we wanted.:)

MY point with "freestyle" is it's okay if you don't have anything else scheduled.

Just remember, at peak times, there is limited capacity;

thousands of pax want the same as you.