San Pedro...Doubletree vs Crowne Plaza??

Msmojo66

We are a family of about 12-14 either flying in or driving for a cruise in October on NCL. Currently booked at Doubletree @ 209. This rate includes free parking for the 2 cars of those driving. Just found Crowne Plaza at 109 for regular rooms and 179 parking for those with cars. By looks, Doubletree looks relaxing and the way to begin vacation but also we will need dinner that night before cruise. Hotel dining (heard) sound spendy, and only walking distance 22nd st. landing seems high also...need comments on both and restaurants in area within walking distance from both??Not looking for fancy dining, just something that works for large family in various age range.

We all thank you in advance for any comments!!! Michelle

We are a family of about 12-14 either flying in or driving for a cruise in October on NCL. Currently booked at Doubletree @ 209. This rate includes free parking for the 2 cars of those driving. Just found Crowne Plaza at 109 for regular rooms and 179 parking for those with cars. By looks, Doubletree looks relaxing and the way to begin vacation but also we will need dinner that night before cruise. Hotel dining (heard) sound spendy, and only walking distance 22nd st. landing seems high also...need comments on both and restaurants in area within walking distance from both??Not looking for fancy dining, just something that works for large family in various age range.

In 2013 we stayed at the Doubletree and they had a free shuttle to take you places, like to an area of lots of nice restaurants that was not in walking distance. Then they had the free shuttle to the ship the next day. A nice feature. I don't know if they still have the free shuttle.

We have stayed at the Crowne Plaza many times and it is fine and works great for the shuttle to the pier.

In addition, you can usually get either the Crowne Plaza or the DoubleTree on Priceline anywhere from $65 to $100 per room, but the parking would be extra. If interested, just bid for a 3 1/2 star at San Pedro.

To me, the two hotels are fairly equivalent...just different...If the CP is sufficiently less expensive (looks like it is), I'd take it. The CP is FAR more convenient. Yes, the Doubletree may shuttle you, but the logistics of getting all of those people to and from a restaurant is not easy. And the view from inside your room at night, while asleep, is the same...

There are several very good, reasonably priced restaurant choices within a short block or two from the CP...I really like the San Pedro Brewing Company (within a block of the CP)...

http://sanpedrobrewing.com/menu.html

For Mexican food, there are a couple of choices very close...Acapulco is a local chain--very casual, inexpensive, right on the waterfront within a couple of blocks of the CP...

http://locations.acapulcorestaurants.com/ca/san-pedro/750-sampson-way-berth-83.html

http://www.acapulcorestaurants.com/menu/

Another nearby (within a block) Mexican place is the Green Onion:

http://www.greenonionmexicanrestaurant.com/menu.html

Niko's Pizzeria is about a block away, just past the Brewing Company:

http://www.nikospizzeria.com/

Lots of other places--BBQ, Thai, Seafood, etc. mostly along 6th just west of the CP...

The CP has a shuttle to the pier--used to be free, but I think I've read where they may have initiated a small charge...I'd check with the hotel...But, if your luggage is on wheels, it's also very walkable to the pier...I know because I've done it...about a block east to Harbor Blvd., cross the street, then follow the waterfront past the USS Iowa...and the cruise terminals are the next two berths...

Edited by Bruin Steve

We have stayed at both properties a number of times and the DTI again as recently as this January. All things being equal we prefer the DTI over the CP for its park like setting and rooms that face out over the marina and the LA Yacht Club. There is certainly nothing wrong with the CP but it tends to be just another oh hum urban hotel. As for the 22nd St Landing, it is a resto that we head for each time we are in San Pedro and never have been disappointed.

Thank you all for your quick and wonderful response!!! I think we might just stick with Doubletree as I double checked my Hilton Honors and our rate before taxes was 188.00. I will keep my eye on prices between now and then for further price drops. Again, Thank you to all for you help!!!

We stay at the Doubletree, and the last two times we reserved a standard room, checked in with our phone app, and were upgraded to a marina view suite. The manager said if suites are available, they reward those who check in with the app with an automatic upgrade. Nice way to start a vacation.

We stay at the Doubletree, and the last two times we reserved a standard room, checked in with our phone app, and were upgraded to a marina view suite. The manager said if suites are available, they reward those who check in with the app with an automatic upgrade. Nice way to start a vacation.

Thanks for the great information, I normally just request a marina view at check in and so far have been successful in getting one.

The CP has a shuttle to the pier--used to be free, but I think I've read where they may have initiated a small charge...I'd check with the hotel...But, if your luggage is on wheels, it's also very walkable to the pier...I know because I've done it...about a block east to Harbor Blvd., cross the street, then follow the waterfront past the USS Iowa...and the cruise terminals are the next two berths...

The CP shuttle is now $5/pp.

I wonder when the DTI will levy such a fee currently they don't have such a fee and will shuttle guests anywhere within 5 miles of the property. As I recall the CP stopped the free shuttle some years ago but obviously only initiated the charge for the shuttle to the pier fairly recently.

I recently booked the CP's package & it shows the shuttle is included:

Rate Description: Package includes Full Breakfast Buffet for two, Welcome House Drinks for two and valet parking up to 15 days shuttle transportation to and from cruiseterminal.

• 2 weeks later...

I've stayed at both and will never stay at CP again. Yes it's convenient that it's close. Especially if their shuttle breaks down and you have to schlep yourself and your luggage by foot back to the hotel to get your car. But here is the main reason I won't stay there. They have valet parking underground where they block cars in with other cars behind them. Fortunately the valet found my keys. Unfortunately, they couldn't find the keys for the car that they had blocked me in with. And it was only after two hours and me threatening to use my van as a tank to push the other car out of my way that someone magically found the keys :eek:

Park yourself at the Doubletree in a regular parking spot and you won't have that problem.

Thanks for the information & will consider that factor when making a decision on whether to get a cruise & stay package at the CP or the Doubletree.

We've previously used the package at Doubletree but were leaning towards the CG because it's a shorter shuttle ride to the port & being able to walk to restaurants (and if necessary to the port).

There are pros & cons to both hotels for a long cruise. With the parking fees having increased from $12 to $17, it's now the same price as having a relaxing night in a hotel before our 15 day cruise.