Baltic Cruise Shuttles

baileybaby

Hi,

I was hoping someone had recent experiences with shuttles for the Baltic ports. It seems many of the ports will be industrial and we will need someway to get into town. Just wondering if anyone knows where they are available and how much we can expect to pay.

Ports I think we need a shuttle:

Rostock

Helsinki

Gothenburg

Stockholm

Thank you for any help you can give.

Hi,

I was hoping someone had recent experiences with shuttles for the Baltic ports. It seems many of the ports will be industrial and we will need someway to get into town. Just wondering if anyone knows where they are available and how much we can expect to pay.

Ports I think we need a shuttle:

Rostock

Helsinki

Gothenburg

Stockholm

Thank you for any help you can give.

Are you actually docking in Rostock and not Warnemunde? How wonderful!

There are shuttles for most of the ports. Prices were around 10 eruos if I recall correctly but the advice to go to the ports boards is a good one.

It's pretty hard to get to the major sites in Helsinki on your own unless you have things well planned.

The Baltics are a joy though and hope you enjoy them :)

Warnemunde is a district of the city of Rostock.

well thank you ;) I am aware of that but it is a bit of a trip to Rostock which is why I asked. I thought there was a change in itineraries. since the OP said Rostock and not Warnemunde. no worries

Edited by kazu

I suspect that everything docks at the Warnemunde piers. A Zuiderdam itinerary says Rostock(Berlin) and one for the Prinsendam says Warnemunde(Berlin). If anything could go upriver to Rostock center, I think it would be the P'dam! ;)

Both Warnemunde and Rostock ports are on opposite sides of the harbor, several miles north of the actual city of Rostock. Warnemunde is better as there is more to do and there is also a couple of rail stations that can take you into the actual city of Rostock. The attraction of docking at the places they do is that each has a spur rail line that comes basically right next to the ship for those going to Berlin on the HAL-chartered train. Warnemunde has more services but it also gets crowded as it is a beach resort. Rostock side, there's not much within reasonable walking distance except one automotive/convenience store about a mile away.

You don't really need a shuttle in Helsinki if you are prepared to walk perhaps ten minutes (depending on exactly where you dock) and take the light rail downtown However, there is a shuttle, that drops off close to the shopping area. It is certainly walkable to downtown, about forty minutes.

Stockholm I don't think a shuttle is provided, but the Hop On bus comes onto the pier. Also, the city bus stops across the street. It is perhaps two miles to downtown.

This is all based on personal experience.

Edited by Wehwalt

Thank you for the help. We have looked at the ports boards but there was only one recent post for Helsinki I think. We do port in Rostock, and not Warnemunde.

Thanks again!

I took a train last time from Warnemunde to Rostock. I thought Rostock was very pretty. the train goes pretty regularly to Warnemunde.

I suspect that everything docks at the Warnemunde piers. A Zuiderdam itinerary says Rostock(Berlin) and one for the Prinsendam says Warnemunde(Berlin). If anything could go upriver to Rostock center, I think it would be the P'dam! ;)

When I was there on the Prinsendam in 2013 we docked in Warnemunde. The train station is right beside the dock and Warnemunde itself is interesting to roam around.

We took a bus tour to Rostock and the tour returned to Warnemunde by riverboat.

When I was there in 2009 on the Eurodam we also docked in Warnemunde.

The "Rostock" port facility...which is not nearly as convenient as Warnemunde...is generally used only when Warnemunde is full (too many ships).
HAL says the Zuiderdam will be at Rostock on Jul 5th.

cruisetimetables.com says it will be at Warnemunde with no other ships. (No info about Rostock.)

cruisett.com says it will be at Warnemunde with the Norwegian Star, and nothing will be at Rostock.

http://www.rostock-port.de/en/cruise-shipping/port-calls.html says:

Warnemünde cruise port stays at the top

The 2016 cruise season starts at Warnemünde cruise port on 28 April with the arrival of the cruise liner AIDAdiva at the newly built berth P7. All told, 185 port calls by 34 cruise liners are expected this year, more than in any other German port. 165 times the vessels will berth in Warnemünde and 20 times at the overseas port. Four vessels will be heading for the mouth of river Warnow for the first time: Koningsdam and Zuiderdam of the Holland America Line, Viking Sea of Viking Ocean Cruises and Monarch of the shipping company Pullmantur.

and Warnemünde (German pronunciation: [vaʁnəˈmʏndə], literally means Mouth of the Warnow)

Take your pick! :D

Edited by jtl513

Free shuttle from the industrial port in Goetenburg to center of town. Most things walkable from there. Good city signage. Be sure to try the pickled herring at the "Fish Church" even if you think you don't like it. Yum - fresh and tasty - we liked the "curried" version best.

The city art museum visit was a very worth while tip from our location guide and it is superb - stunning Impressionists and late 19th Century artists as well as equally stunning Nordic artists who capture the light and scenes that can only exist in this part of the world.

Still haunted by the large canvas of the rugged Nordic fisherman and his fierce young daughter facing the elements in an open boat, capturing these faces of survival in this austere part of the world, well before North Sea oil dramatically changed their economics.

This was what we found on out 29th May sailing...

Warnermunde - Docked at berth P8 a short distance from town center.

Tallinn - Cruise port is about 1.5 km from the start of the old town and the shuttle bus drop off point. Shuttles are usually provided free but HAL did not have any laid on. The #1 and #2 trams from near the port exit were not operating and I believe this is the case until the end of August.

St. Petersburg - Docked at Marine Facade berth MB-4 about 10 km from the city center. No shuttles as you can only go ashore on organised excursions provided by HAL or other local operators unless you have a visa.

Helsinki - Docked at Oceankajen berth LMA of the West Terminal. This is about 3 km from the city center and the shuttle bus drop off. Shuttles provided by a local company for €5 each way. Alternatively, the #6T and #9 trams go from the Länsiterminaali stop about 1 km from the ship.

Stockholm - Docked at Frihamnen berth F638 about 5 km from the city center. This was the only port of call where chargeable shuttles were laid on by HAL at $9 single $17 day pass. Local buses run from stops near the port exit and tickets can be bought with credit card in the cruise terminal (there's also a credit card ticket machine at the bus stop for single tickets.

Kiel - Docked at Ostseekai berth LP27 a short distance from city center.

Gothenburg - Docked at Arendal berth 751 about 12 km from the city center. Free shuttles were laid on by the port authority.

Helsingborg - Tendered to pier a short distance from town center.

Copenhagen - Docked at Oceankaj berth C330 about 8 km from city center. Buses 25/27 go from next to the quay to Osterport Station during the daytime where you change to the 26 bus (or catch a train). No cruise line shuttles provided but an independently run one was available for €10 single. NOTE that buses 25/27 do not operate in the evenings so if you want to go into the city on the night before disembarking then you'd need to walk 4 km to Færgeterminal Søndre Frihavn to catch the 26 bus.

Edited by clivep