Toll Roads in Southern FL

debshomespun

We will be flying into FLL airport and renting a car to drive over to Naples for a couple days. We will be traveling on I595 and I75. I know these are toll roads. Can we use cash to pay for these tolls, as opposed to renting a platepass that will add about $10./per day to the rental. The toll is $3.00 for I75 each way, and I'm not exactly sure on the I595. I prefer to just pay cash. We will be arriving on a Tuesday morning, leaving about 10:30AM, then returning on a Saturday morning, returning the car by about 10:00AM. TIA.

I never noticed there were toll booths where you could pay with money between FLL and Naples because I was always in the Fast Pass Lane, but yes, you can pay with cash but only between those two cities.

If you stay out of the hot lanes, I think you can avoid the tolls on 595.

PS It's South Florida not Southern Florida :D

Edited by BlueHerons

I never noticed there were toll booths where you could pay with money between FLL and Naples because I was always in the Fast Pass Lane, but yes, you can pay with cash but only between those two cities.

If you stay out of the hot lanes, I think you can avoid the tolls on 595.

BlueHerons,

It is odd and remiss of me that I had not thought about tourists attempting to vacation and traverse our Florida toll highways and by-ways. I would have thought our state, which is so tourist dependent, would have found a way to make it easier for visitors to access the SunPass system. Hmmm ... Food for thought. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BlueHerons,

It is odd and remiss of me that I had not thought about tourists attempting to vacation and traverse our Florida toll highways and by-ways. I would have thought our state, which is so tourist dependent, would have found a way to make it easier for visitors to access the SunPass system. Hmmm ... Food for thought. [emoji4]

One big scam in which the state and car rental companies are in legal cahoots. After experiencing how difficult it was to access the MIA area w/o tolls (or paying for them to avoid being charged a huge marked-up amount by the CarRentalCo later), I've decided to actively avoid Florida.

BlueHerons,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You would think. I guess collecting tolls didn't cover enough for the toll workers, pensions, etc.

One big scam in which the state and car rental companies are in legal cahoots. After experiencing how difficult it was to access the MIA area w/o tolls (or paying for them to avoid being charged a huge marked-up amount by the CarRentalCo later), I've decided to actively avoid Florida.

A scam huh? Considering ALL of the major car rental companies (Avis, Dollar, Sixt, Hertz, Budget, Dollar, etc) are all headquartered outside Florida, how is this a Florida scam? The state only gets what they charge, what we all pay, no more, no less.

It is very possible to traverse Miami without getting on toll roads.

Between Miami and Fort Lauderdale, you will not find anywhere with more cruises, that is kind of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Edited by BlueHerons

Have you used Silvercar rental yet? Audi A4 with GPS, WiFi, sat radio. Tolls are added to your bill with NO additional service charge. $25 off if you use my referral code SMAYNARD1

Quite off topic but I totally CRINGE when I hear someone refer to SOUTH FLORIDA as southern Florida. Kinda like when tourists refer to San Francisco as 'Frisco'.

Quite off topic but I totally CRINGE when I hear someone refer to SOUTH FLORIDA as southern Florida. Kinda like when tourists refer to San Francisco as 'Frisco'.

I gently correct and make allowances for non-locals [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueHerons,

Bought a portable SunPass transponder years ago and it has more than paid for itself. Whenever friends head down to Florida (or any other place that has SunPass reciprocity. Atlanta will have it soon.) I give them our SunPass to use. It's perfect.