Planning our first cruise

Krozulo

I did consider a shorter cruise, but with our schedule it's hard to get away any time of the week so we agreed that we'd just jump right in, 2 years from now.

I looked at overnight repositioning cruises to/from Vancouver/Seattle, but I have to wonder if it's worth it as far as getting a feel for being on the water. The waterway is protected from the open ocean by islands, so wouldn't it be much like taking the ferry from Vancouver to Victoria? Except a much bigger boat, and lasting slightly longer than 2 hours :D

I'm not worried about being bored. When we're not working, we're really, really good at doing nothing but relaxing, people watching, reading, eating, etc. My only worry is with motion sickness, which I've never had while taking the ferry to Victoria, but the water has been calm every time I've gone. An overnight sailing probably wouldn't be much more telling. Otherwise I'll make sure I pack some remedies (ginger, wrist band, drugs, etc).

I did consider a shorter cruise, but with our schedule it's hard to get away any time of the week so we agreed that we'd just jump right in, 2 years from now.

I looked at overnight repositioning cruises to/from Vancouver/Seattle, but I have to wonder if it's worth it as far as getting a feel for being on the water. The waterway is protected from the open ocean by islands, so wouldn't it be much like taking the ferry from Vancouver to Victoria? Except a much bigger boat, and lasting slightly longer than 2 hours :D

I'm not worried about being bored. When we're not working, we're really, really good at doing nothing but relaxing, people watching, reading, eating, etc. My only worry is with motion sickness, which I've never had while taking the ferry to Victoria, but the water has been calm every time I've gone. An overnight sailing probably wouldn't be much more telling. Otherwise I'll make sure I pack some remedies (ginger, wrist band, drugs, etc).

The joy of doing nothing is one of the reasons I enjoy cruising so much :)

This post helped, and I think you're in good shape. The longer cruise should be right up your ally! Go. Have fun. And then tell us about it :)

Thank you for the remedy suggestions! I only knew of Gravol (in Canada). I would rather try natural remedies like ginger, apples, or booze. :).

I buy a small package of candied ginger from Purdy's. Helps the tummy and tastes delicious at the same time. :-)

I looked at overnight repositioning cruises to/from Vancouver/Seattle, but I have to wonder if it's worth it as far as getting a feel for being on the water.

It would not be a good introduction to cruising as it would be a giant party boat instead of a normal cruise.

Thank you for the remedy suggestions! I only knew of Gravol (in Canada). I would rather try natural remedies like ginger, apples, or booze. :)

LOL! I imagine if the ship is spinning, I'll have bigger issues to worry about than feeling nauseated.

Gravol has a natural ginger remedy, in chewable or pill form. I use the chewable for a queasy stomach (not seasickness, don't get it) and they work beautifully.

I always book myself and then watch for any changes or price reductions. If you use a TA you will give up your ability to call Princess directly, they won't speak to you. Read the terms and conditions of any promo you book to see if the deposit is refundable or not.

I always book myself and then watch for any changes or price reductions. If you use a TA you will give up your ability to call Princess directly, they won't speak to you. Read the terms and conditions of any promo you book to see if the deposit is refundable or not.

I was planning on booking with a TA (a large, warehouse-style retailer) to get additional OBC. Is there any reason it would be better to deal with Princess directly instead of a TA?

I was planning on booking with a TA (a large, warehouse-style retailer) to get additional OBC. Is there any reason it would be better to deal with Princess directly instead of a TA?

Both are great I personally feel I can ask more questions with my TA and they love their job, and have saved us on every cruise we take, its fun to recieve the little bon voyage travel gift in the mail before we take off, and the gift book in our cabin when we board.

kxmxmom@cox.net if you ant more information

A good reason to use a "good" TA is that if there is a Princess problem, your TA would fight for you.

A Princess employee might not go that "extra mile" to resolve a Princess problem.

A good reason to use a "good" TA is that if there is a Princess problem, your TA would fight for you.

A Princess employee might not go that "extra mile" to resolve a Princess problem.

Earlier this month, we sat down with a TA at a travel place in a local mall and when I asked about what happens if the price drops, she didn't leave me with a good impression. I think she said something along the lines of, "Well, if it's a significant drop then I can call Princess and see if we can get you the lower price. I've only done that for a couple of customers in the past." But then I read about people who call their TA for a price drop of $50 and get it. Kind of makes me think that the lady I spoke with was not one of the "good" ones, at least as far as cruises go. Maybe her strengths are in air and hotel packages.

Hi, welcome to the cruise critic family. We have done the round trip Hawaii cruise 3 times, just love it. I do know what you mean about motion sickness, our daughter has dealt with it all her life. But, she does cruise. She takes the generic Bonnie it is meclizine, much less expensive, you get it over the counter, it works. Personally, I would recommend a cabin more towards the center of the ship, you feel less movement, even with the stabilizers you might feel movement in the front of the ship. The first couple days of the cruise going across the California current can be a little choppy.

Have a great cruise.

Cori

Earlier this month, we sat down with a TA at a travel place in a local mall and when I asked about what happens if the price drops, she didn't leave me with a good impression. I think she said something along the lines of, "Well, if it's a significant drop then I can call Princess and see if we can get you the lower price. I've only done that for a couple of customers in the past." But then I read about people who call their TA for a price drop of $50 and get it. Kind of makes me think that the lady I spoke with was not one of the "good" ones, at least as far as cruises go. Maybe her strengths are in air and hotel packages.

I didn't know that any travel agency was still in any mall. ;)

Knowing some people in the travel industry, the brick & mortar agencies such as at the mall have more expenses than online independent agencies/agents. I've read that some agencies/agents may also charge a change fee depending on the client because it does create extra work & a lower commission for them. Although in your situation I wouldn't use a TA who has "only done that for a couple of customers in the past. If the reduction is minimal, I don't request a change however I would contact my TA for a $50 drop which for 2 of us would be $100.

I've read posts that some online agents that you call & who do a lot of business with a cruise line will return part of their commission to their clients.

I'm happy with my TA who not only deals with a cruise line whenever there's an issue but has even helped reroute our flight affected by a strike that we booked directly using FF miles. We were on a European cruise with no real way to contact the airline & she stepped in to get us alternate flights home. There was no financial incentive for her & it's service such as this that keeps us loyal to her (a store agency I call) and her prices are always very competitive.

No one on CC knows for sure who gets the best bottom line price for every cabin booked There are pros & cons for any type of travel reservations & there isn't a right way that's best for everyone. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer