Alaska- Millennium FYI's

shellst

We had an amazing trip. It was our first time with Celebrity and first time in Alaska but our 9th cruise overall.

I thought I'd share a few things I wished I known...

Each state room has an umbrella for you to use. And a light weight bag like a reusable shopping bag for each person to use.

The Hubbard glacier day was COLD-hats and gloves and layers were needed to be outside. I suggest spending part of the viewing time inside but be dressed for the weather and definitely experience the outside viewing too. Eat lunch early and then find a good spot.

All the coffee and teas (with or without alcohol) are included in the regular drink package. We did upgrade on the second day and found the service and taste of our cocktails was greatly improved. Really enjoyed the freedom and convenience of the drink package. We like frozen drinks and the well drinks on the freeperk package were horrible. If we only wanted wine and beer, we would have been happy with the free drink package.

Juneau: We had a great whale watching tour that morning with Harv and Marv.. Our plan was to spend the afternoon at Mendenhall Glacier. We were in port for a long day so we figured we had plenty of time. Unfortunately the shuttles to the glacier stop running at 5pm. We had to really walk fast to see the falls and glacier and get back for the last shuttle to the ship. Had we known the shuttles stopped early we would have planned better. The trip to the glacier is worth it. The trail is easy. It's a view of a lifetime. Didn't have time to go into visitor's center. Did not think the shuttle was worth $30 for a 8 minute ride on a school bus but had no other choice. Would consider renting a car next time because of the cost for a large party to take the shuttle.

Icy Straight Point was so much better than we expected! I had read that it was not a great stop but it was our favorite. Newly built visitor's center. None of the typical cruise ship shops in this port. Only one ship allowed at a time. Very authentic village that is still controlled by the native people. If you are interested in whale watching- this is the best port to spot whales. Also the best zip line on the trip.

This cruise was nothing like a caribbean cruise. You are in port most of the trip. It's more about the destinations than the ship. The weather is always changing. It can be sunny but cold. Rain is expected daily and you need a raincoat with you anytime you get off the ship. However, the inside of the ship is pleasant- you won't be cold in the buffet or dining rooms. (I was colder in the dining rooms of caribbean ships.) I wished I would have packed less for dinner attire and more for our day time events. More long sleeves, more sweatshirts, more warm socks. Chic night was really all over the spectrum. Some in gowns in tuxes but most in just nice casual - like afternoon wedding reception. Most men didn't wear ties or jackets. We did use the indoor pool and hot tub. Most people wore robes to pool. Shoes- a good pair of walking shoes or two is important. Sandals are flip flops won't see much use. Other nights in dining room were casual. Jeans and nice shirts are fine. Few seemed to dress for dinner.

Vancouver- we stored our luggage at the port and had a late flight (10pm). Unfortunately. the storage area closed really early (4pm?) so we had to cut our time sightseeing in Vancouver short to collect our luggage. We barely had time to eat lunch and ride the hop on- hop off back to the cruise terminal. Complete loop on hop on- hop off took about 3 hours. Very informative tour of the city. However each bus is different. One had a recording playing over loud speakers while the other had ear bud ports that you had to plug into. After getting our luggage, with 8 suitcases among us, we had no choice but to head to the airport early. The public transit was great and took about 1/2 hour to get from Cruise terminal to airport. Airport was also wonderful- much better than most American airports. Not crowded at all.

For some reason customs was 'closed' in Vancouver so we had to collect our luggage at our connecting airport and go through customs at that airport rather than in Vancouver. Then recheck our luggage and go through security AGAIN to get to our final destination. Not fun at 4am.

It was one of our best vacations ever! I only mention some of the above complications so you can be prepared. Keep in mind that we went early in the summer so things may be different later in the season. It was a wonderful cruise! Our group included to older teens, my husband and I (in our 40's) and one of our parents(70's) We all loved it. BTW, food on Celebrity was some of the best of any cruise, And we thought Qsuine was really fun. The shows were all worth attending too. And the talks given in the theater by the naturalist were enjoyed by everyone.

Ketchikan has a great visitor's center with a gauntlet of paid tour employees trying to sale you tickets for everything. But bypass them and find the one visitor's center employee on the other end of the building and ask her for a map of the area and get her opinion on what to do. We walked a loop around the city with the main destination being the Totem Heritage center. It was really interesting. I think it was $5 admission. There is also a shuttle that will take you there. But if the weather is nice, then a walk will really allow you to see more of the area.

If the salmon are running, then Ketchikan is one of the best places to see this. We were too early in the season.

A lot of people go to the lumber jack show. It has 4 showings and is also near the pier. No need to buy an excursion, just buy tickets at the visitor's center. The entire show is on youtube if you want to preview it. The same show is also done at other major tourist areas such as Pigeon Forge TN so we didn't think it was that authentically Alaska and decided not to see it.

All the locals were talking about how Celebrity's ship had taken out a pier while docking there the week before. You might want to watch that on you tube too so you are in the know.

Forgot to mention that the mosquitos were BAD in Anchorage - pack bug spray.

And I highly recommend the Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Seward.

We also recently returned from our Alaska cruise on the Millie and I will be posting a review shortly. I just wanted to add that the views of Hubbard Glacier from the helipad were phenomenal! But is a good idea to be ready to head out to the helipad by about 1:15 or 1:30, as it does fill up pretty quick!

<a href=Alaska%20Vacation%202016%20284_zpsb7fgfb

FYI: The CDS Baggage storage at the pier will - for an extra fee - transport your luggage to the airport where you can pick it up at their storage area there. They should have told you that.

As to Customs being closed, U.S. Customs has officers on duty from about 4:00 a.m. until they all go home at 8:30 p.m. Anyone flying out after that clears in their destination city. Canadian Customs officers do not leave until the last flight comes in for the day, usually around midnight. If there are International flights in the wee hours, they're here for those as well.

We also recently returned from our Alaska cruise on the Millie and I will be posting a review shortly. I just wanted to add that the views of Hubbard Glacier from the helipad were phenomenal! But is a good idea to be ready to head out to the helipad by about 1:15 or 1:30, as it does fill up pretty quick!

On the Hubbard Glacier day, if you keep the TV in your cabin on the channel that has the bow cam you can see when the glacier comes into view, when the helipad starts to fill up with people, and when it starts to empty out again.

We really dislike being out on the helipad when people are packed together there out at the railing like sardines and there isn't even room to move your arms.

There are other places on the ship that provide good views of the glacier without all that crowding.

People keep moving about to get the best views as the ship turns to provide viewing of the glacier from the front, from the back, and from both sides.

Out on the helipad, some passengers are very considerate of others, taking turns and stepping back to allow someone else to step up to the railing for a good view,

while there are others who just barge their way in and elbow others out of their way without so much as a "may I please" or "excuse me".

If anyone tries to say anything to them, they pretend they don't understand English.

I should have mentioned that the helipad was only open for about 15 minutes on our cruise. It was rainy and windy. I think that's why we experienced some over crowding in the lounge and other places that were prime viewing areas.

Good tip about your cabin TV! Can you hear the naturalist on your TV?

• 3 weeks later...
On the Hubbard Glacier day, if you keep the TV in your cabin on the channel that has the bow cam you can see when the glacier comes into view, when the helipad starts to fill up with people, and when it starts to empty out again.

We really dislike being out on the helipad when people are packed together there out at the railing like sardines and there isn't even room to move your arms.

There are other places on the ship that provide good views of the glacier without all that crowding.

People keep moving about to get the best views as the ship turns to provide viewing of the glacier from the front, from the back, and from both sides.

Out on the helipad, some passengers are very considerate of others, taking turns and stepping back to allow someone else to step up to the railing for a good view,

while there are others who just barge their way in and elbow others out of their way without so much as a "may I please" or "excuse me".

If anyone tries to say anything to them, they pretend they don't understand English.

We are in a royal suite on this sailing- is it necessary to go up to the helipad or should we just glacier view from our balcony?? Thanks for advice

We are in a royal suite on this sailing- is it necessary to go up to the helipad or should we just glacier view from our balcony?? Thanks for advice
Not necessary, but it is entirely up to you.

For people with limited mobility, staying on the balcony the entire time is fine and you get some wonderful views, but you only get the views of the glacier while your side of the ship is facing it.

There is no way to predict when the best calving will occur.

It is really not necessary for anyone to go up to the helipad as there are other locations on the ship in open areas that provide good views as well.

The helipad access is considered to be something special because it is only opened to passengers at limited times.

If you are on one of the M-class ships, deck 4 (the promenade deck, which has been described as the largest balcony on the ship),

provides views from both sides of the ship because you can move from side to side as the ship turns.

You can do that on the open upper decks as well.

Approaching the glacier, there is good viewing from the panoramic sky lounge up at the front of the ship, for those who want to remain indoors and don't mind taking photos through glass.

But it can get very crowded in there too, especially if the weather is bad and people don't want to be outside.

Then there are good views of the glacier from the back of the ship as you are leaving, and if you are back there you may get to see some additional calving as the ship is pulling away.

It basically comes down to a combination of personal choice and physical mobility.

Edited by fleckle

Thanks for the report. You gave us some great tips. We are doing the same ports with Infinity in September. Did you do anything in Ketchikan?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't laugh, but if you are remotely inclined towards snorkeling, I highly recommend a snorkeling trip in Ketchikan. Sounds crazy I know, but we did it several years ago on our Millennium tour, and it is the best snorkeling experience I have had....which includes Hawaii, Barbados, etc.

I booked directly with a snorkeling outfit. They supplied everything, including the wetsuits. Pulling on the wetsuits was a struggle, but they keep you suprisingly warm. The color and abundance of the sea stars, jellies, urchins, and a wide array of other invertebrates was amazing. Those cold waters are very rich in nutrients and it was reflected in the variety and size of the animals. And we were then in may, so lots of newly spawned salmon that had been released from a fishery. If nothing else, it's worth it to get all of the looks from your friends as they think how insane you were to snorkel in Alaska! :D

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I am glad that so many of you love Alaska on the Millie. For the second time, we visited Alaska on the Millie. After being on all the S Class ships, it just didn't have that same feel; we also added the tour and were quite disappointed with our tour guide, along with some of the people on the tour who were always late. However, the staff on the Millie were exceptional! Many people love Alaska and could go every year and never tire of it; it is the same way I feel about Europe. However, you need to at least experience it for yourself one time! If you enjoy bus tours and enjoy large groups of people and don't want to be bothered with the planning, then add the tour with Celebrity. Otherwise, look at planning it yourself...and spending enough time in the places and doing what you want to do by yourself...I am genuinely happy for those who enjoy their vacations no matter how you choose to do it. The most important thing is to get out there and travel! I also think experiencing Alaska with family is a great way to enjoy it. Thanks for the review!!!!!

Edited by Lastdance

We sailed on the Millie Northbound last July and loved it. Yes, the S class ships are newer and nicer but the itinerary on the Millie is so much better. As others have said, Icy Point Strait was really cool. We did their little nature walk on our own and then took the $5 shuttle bus into "town". Very cool place, friendly people and a tree full of nesting eagles with babies. We saw the Hubbard Glacier from our veranda on deck 7 and had a great view for over an hour. Once they started to make the turn around we were going to move to the sky lounge but the new views were so impressive that we just stayed put and ordered room service breakfast. It was a foggy, cold morning, the bay had a lof of icebergs but the captain got us right in there, right up the the legal half mile limit. Saw a lot of calving, heard all the "thunder". Just amazing. I made a 6 frame panorama picture that now hangs in our NJ home. The rest of the trip was just as great. If you have the chance, GO!... and do the Denali part on your own. The drive is easy and it is so much better to be able to go where you want when you want.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the information re: Alaska on the Millennium. This will be our 1st Alaskan cruise although not our 1st cruise. We are doing the land tour/ cruise SB on June 12th with 14 friends, several of them are 1st time cruisers. We are very excited but have many questions re: excursions..can we do them on our own or best to book through Celebrity? Clothes are are big topic when we get together as well as foot wear.There have been some reviews (not so good) about the accommodations in Denali, has this been your experience? I tend to take reviews with a grain of salt but do read them all. We know that food is not included on the land tour what kind of options are there? How long is the bus trip from Denali to Seward and is it narrated? We have an avid golfer in our group, are there any opportunities to golf? Any and all info or tips would be appreciated. Thanks:D

We took the same cruise June 2016. Our land started in Fairbanks. Nice town. Do not recommend the salmon bake pushed by most lines. Just a large overrated buffet. Pick a Restaurant downtown and enjoy a served good meal. Train trip to Denali is great. Lodging at Denali is average at best. Restaurant at the lodging is over priced and average at best. Take the shuttle downtown to your choice of good places to eat. Bus ride to Seward is long with a short stopover in Anchorage. Embarkation was easy at the port. On board the Martini bar is great. All excursions seem to be enjoyable. Recommend the crab feast and sea plane ride. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We took the same cruise June 2016. Our land started in Fairbanks. Nice town. Do not recommend the salmon bake pushed by most lines. Just a large overrated buffet. Pick a Restaurant downtown and enjoy a served good meal. Train trip to Denali is great. Lodging at Denali is average at best. Restaurant at the lodging is over priced and average at best. Take the shuttle downtown to your choice of good places to eat. Bus ride to Seward is long with a short stopover in Anchorage. Embarkation was easy at the port. On board the Martini bar is great. All excursions seem to be enjoyable. Recommend the crab feast and sea plane ride. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for comments appreciate your input.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app