Very 1st HAL trip to see Alaska - A few questions

axelskater

My wife is reading MItchner's Alaska again for the third time. She says it enhances her excitement for our upcoming August cruise. I'm so excited I really don't need anything to pump me up! : )

I'm with you. I'm so excited it's all I think about and it's 11 months away! The reading and researching helps me deal with the excitement, though.

• 2 months later...

Until I leave for the airport.

We choose the northbound in September because of the possibility (remote) of seeing the northern lights, the cost, and the fall colors. I know the weather will probably rainy. We are going to wait until we arrive on the cruise before choosing our excursions, we know what we want, but the weather will dictate which activity we choose (biking down a mountain sounds fun, in the rain not so fun).

I know we will lose daylight, but viewing things in the dark gives a different perspective. One of the most beautiful sites I have seen in my travels was the Grand Canyon at night in the full moon.

I may have a different view of things in 3 weeks.

Until I leave for the airport.

We choose the northbound in September because of the possibility (remote) of seeing the northern lights, the cost, and the fall colors. I know the weather will probably rainy. We are going to wait until we arrive on the cruise before choosing our excursions, we know what we want, but the weather will dictate which activity we choose (biking down a mountain sounds fun, in the rain not so fun).

I know we will lose daylight, but viewing things in the dark gives a different perspective. One of the most beautiful sites I have seen in my travels was the Grand Canyon at night in the full moon.

I may have a different view of things in 3 weeks.

Looking forward to seeing your review!

Axelskater

Just perusing the boards and found that we are on the same ship/itinerary next year and then read you are in NC, also - small world!

My DH and I are on the same cruise. He's 72 I'm 52. Think about taking my son who is 21 and DD and boyfriend who are early 30s.

I highly recommend "The Alaska Cruise Handbook, A Mile by Mile Guide" by Joe Upton. It includes a map with all of the mile markers (used in the book) so you can figure out where you are. They used to sell it in the shop onboard; I'm not sure if they still do. When I bought mine onboard, in 2009, the Captain even referred to the mile markers in his daily briefing.

I'll enthusiastically second that. We bought it onboard last year and it really added so much to our understanding of what we were seeing. Our captain also referred to it in his briefings.

Hello - My dh and I did a cruise to Alaska in August on the MS Amsterdam. I've never cruised to Alaska in Sept., so I can't comment on the weather during then.

There was a good age range of people, but I would say it was mainly 40 to 70 for the most part. Not too many 20 to 30. Not many teenagers.

Every time we went to dinner - and we did Anytime Dining - we were asked if we wanted to dine with others. We never did, but the choice was there. I saw people being seated, and then they would keep adding to the table with other folks. They all seemed very happy visiting and getting to know each other.

Yes, there is a Wonderful Culinary Arts Center. They usually had around two demonstrations each day. The Center is great, with wonderful, comfy seating. They have a chef demonstrating cooking various dishes. It's great fun and great learning. Plus, they go around and give each person samples. And recipes.

At the end of the cruise there was a time you could go and they had a big portfolio of recipes from dishes cooked on the cruise. You could get those recipes, plus we were told if there was anything you ate on the ship that you would like a recipe for, just ask and they would get it for you.

There are a lot of computer classes. How to use Windows 10, how to take great vacation pictures, how to use photo editing program. Really fun, informative.

I went to a seminar about Tea. All of the health benefits, and all about the different types of tea. They took your Cabin # and delivered a packet of information to my cabin a couple of days later.

Your mom will have a super time, even when out and about by herself. My dh has Chrons, and quite a few times he was resting in the cabin watching movies. But I would go out and about to different activities, by myself.

I went to an art auction -- not to buy, just to watch. I was fun to watch and really interesting to learn of the various artists.

Karoake night was a blast! It was amazing that so many folks were fantastic singers!!

There are quite a few talks about Alaska -- history of the Gold Rush, etc.

On Glacier Day, Dutch Pea Soup is served. So very, very good. Don't miss out!

The Crows Nest at the front of the ship had huge windows all across the front and down the sides. Super comfy seating all around. If the weather is chilly or rainy, it's a perfect spot to view the scenery or watch for whales. In the evening, they had a wonderful singer and band. Some folks danced.

I went to a sing-along, computer classes, cooking classes, craft classes, watched Pictionary, art auctions, etc. All by myself. Your mother will love it. I found that folks loved to visit! There are always great spots to sit and just people watch.

Have a Wonderful cruise! And report back when you get home.