Very 1st HAL trip to see Alaska - A few questions

axelskater

Just booked very 1st HAL cruise. I have been sailing one (or two) others lines pretty exclusively but neither line really does Alaska, so I decided to just jump in. Yesterday. On the spur of the moment - and now I am booked! I read these boards and googled the "HAL" and facts as recommended and spent a great deal of time looking at pix last night. That is a very nice resource :)

Can anyone perhaps tell me where I can find some more up to date programs? (not sure of the HAL name of the daily program?) I love printing them out and reading them!

Also - I researched the September weather and was thinking I just might have to switch to earlier in September if you want to use the verandah to lounge and watch the scenery? Does anyone have experience with this on a September Alaska voyage?

If someone around 65-ish wants to meet others and have people to chat with, would you recommend requesting a large dining table at a specific seating, or can you sit with large groups in "anytime dining". The HAL website just wasn't very clear on this, nor the woman with whom I booked yesterday.

The ships look very nice - and it looks like there are some interesting things, like a jazz club and cooking demonstrations. I couldn't quite see if and where dancing was offered (not disco!) - not formal ballroom dancing but something in between I guess. I am also excited to have classical music and a piano bar. I am nervous about branching out but I am also very, very excited. Thanks for any insight on my 3 questions. :D

Edited by axelskater

Weather can be hit and miss in September. Sometimes really nice and still rather warm. Other times absolutely terrible. No way to guarantee anything but if you follow the advice to "dress in layers" you ought to be good no matter what

Welcome to HAL!

I can't help with the weather question. Frankly, Alaska weather is a bit of a crapshoot. Go when it is best for you in terms of timing and budget. Just dress in layers and be prepared for rain and wind but take a pair of shorts along just in case it's balmy/hot.

You can choose a large table in Open Seating in the MDR. They'll ask you if you'd like to sit with others and will place you according to your wishes. It will probably be faster if you do choose to sit with others rather than a table for two. Open seating gives you more flexibility as to when you eat. I prefer fixed dining as we get to know our wait staff and they get to know our preferences.

The daily program is called On Location. Do a search for posts by Crew News. He did a recent Live From thread from Alaska. He posts programs on his website: https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/ plus additional information like menus. His photography is beautiful, too.

Enjoy your cruise! I doubt it will be your only cruise to Alaska!

Edited by Alberta Quilter

Also - I researched the September weather and was thinking I just might have to switch to earlier in September if you want to use the verandah to lounge and watch the scenery? Does anyone have experience with this on a September Alaska voyage?
I'm kinda sensitive to rain.... especially on days when I'm on port excursions.

After two rainy mid-August trips... my next AK trip will be mid July. Yep dry statistical weather costs more. There's a reason why September prices are discounted.

We have sailed Alaska in September -- weather was terrible.

Didn't use our verandah except to go out and watch arrival and departures for the ports. Did get to sit out a while for viewing the glaciers.

I would ask for Fixed Seating and a large table. That way you will get to know some people. Open Seating -- sometimes you luck out with a large table -- sometimes you don't. And then each night you spend more time introducing yourselves, etc.

On the Eurodam there are 3 specialty restaurants -- Canaletto ($10 per person), Pinnacle Grill ($29 per person) and Tamarind ($20 per person). Our favorites are Tamarind and Pinnacle Grill.

HAL doesn't have any dance hosts on these cruises.

It looks like your trip is from Seattle. Usually, this means the ship will take more of an "open-sea" route on the way to and from Alaska, so it will be a bit bumpy if normal September weather occur. But the HAL ports on your trip are superior (Glacier Bay and Sitka) to the standard Alaska itineraries on other cruises. Seeing your cruise history, I would expect a lower level of amenities and entertainment options on HAL compared to Disney and Cunard, but the service level on HAL should equally be top-notch. Alaska is all about the destinations -you should have a wonderful experience!

Edited by vicd1969

Daily activities are called "On Location" I believe. Google Roger Jett. The Seattle R/T itineraries are not my favorites except for Sitka which is the loveliest harbor n Alaska.

The stop in Victoria is mandated bu US law, But 6PM to midnight on the evening before disembarkation is my time to pack up and relax before they throw me off with the trash.

The Crow's Nest on the Vista class and, I think, also on the Eurodam offers a sheltered viewing place ,just arrive early to stake out a seat near the windows.

Plan to dress in layers and you'll be ready for anything. For example - We were there in early July and before joining our tour went on a private excursion to College Glaciers out of Whittier. It was freezing cold and we even wore earmuffs on the tour boat - while in Anchorage the net day we wore tee-shirts.

We took wind/rain resistant jackets and one sweatshirt with us. When in Alaska we bought some long-sleeve tee-shirts and sweatshirts as souvenirs that we wore on the trip as layers.

We always travel with just the 2 of us and always request a large table at Late Fixed Seating. We've met some really wonderful folks on almost all of our cruises. It's understood that they may not become our BFF's at home :D but we can always find some common ground for dinner conversation from "what did you do today" to "where have you traveled".

I've been to Alaska twice, once in early September when it was cold and rainy most of the time and last year we were on the last cruise of the season where we had a mixture of weather, but it was sunny and beautiful for Sitka and Glacier Bay. As others have said, it is a crap shoot on the weather.

Don't count on just the balcony for scenic viewing. Get out on the open deck where the view is much better. Spend time on the bow when it is open, go up on the observation deck, view from the aft pool deck, walk the promenade to see a 360.

We do Anytime Dining and we've only had to wait once in order to be seated with a group. Dinner isn't the only opportunity to meet people. Participate in your roll call (Alaska ones can be slow), talk to people in the Lido (share your table) and on the aft deck. Go to the Crow's Nest and talk to people. Participate in some activities. In the bars, sit at the bar rather than a table.

Have a fabulous time! Alaska is a wonderful experience.

You are so going to enjoy Alaska. HAL does it right! I have never booked a verandah cabin, but I am sure you will enjoy it. Grab a blanket and wrap up in it. LOL The weather is hard to predict. Last year, we left Seattle on May 31 for Alaska and we only had one and half days with no rain. But that did not matter, Alaska makes you forget about the weather. In 2008, we did the last cruise of the season out of Vancouver. Weather was totally awesome. not a drop of rain. Just be sure to have clothing that you can layer...and one water resistant jacket!

I usually do open seating. Great way to meet people. And you can ask for whatever size table you want. With fixed seating, what if you end up with a group you do not bond with? Then you go to open seating. So, just start off with open. And on one cruise, our open seating group decided we liked being together and always had the same table each night.

Enjoy.

Welcome to HAL!

We did AK in September. For me, I won't choose it again unless it is really cheap, or the only time we can go. We missed a lot traveling in the dark. We're "deck rats" and will go around the solstice so we get maximum light for cruising. If you like scenic, get out on deck early for Sitka. You can ask the Front Desk what the ETA is for entering the harbor. It's likely to be a couple hours prior to docking. The area off Icy Point (and is it North Passage) commonly has lots of whales. Not sure of your route, but Johnson Strait can eat quite scenic.

Due to a new job and resulting low vacation time for DH, my most recent cruises have been solo. I found Open Seating, large table worked well. It took one longer cruise solo to get over the fear of eating with a group in the MDR. The Lido was fine. (I'm shy). I've found the classical groups to be fabulous. The used to be trios or quartets, now duets. Still really good.

(Making assumptions here- congratulations on getting to Axel. I only got to the occasional Loop, and Flip in the harness. After 20 years as an adult with Fear of Falling. (It's ironic, but being out THERE, alone, was easier than the MDR solo.))

Just booked very 1st HAL cruise. I have been sailing one (or two) others lines pretty exclusively but neither line really does Alaska, so I decided to just jump in. Yesterday. On the spur of the moment - and now I am booked! I read these boards and googled the "HAL" and facts as recommended and spent a great deal of time looking at pix last night. That is a very nice resource :)

Can anyone perhaps tell me where I can find some more up to date programs? (not sure of the HAL name of the daily program?) I love printing them out and reading them!

The ships look very nice - and it looks like there are some interesting things, like a jazz club and cooking demonstrations. I couldn't quite see if and where dancing was offered (not disco!) - not formal ballroom dancing but something in between I guess. I am also excited to have classical music and a piano bar. I am nervous about branching out but I am also very, very excited. Thanks for any insight on my 3 questions. :D

Welcome to HAL.

Here is a link to the scanned On Locations (daily activities) for Alaska May 2016 Inside Passage on the Nieuw Amsterdam:

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/on-locations-specific-cruises/nieuw-amsterdam-alaska-2016-on-locations/

Here is a photo tour of the Nieuw Amsterdam to get you acquainted with the HAL standard of cruising:

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-board-images/

Not sure if it matters to you but you would have appx. 1 1/2 hrs to 2 hrs more daylight in early Sept vs later Sept. That plus it might be a tad warmers earlier vs later. Of course weather is fickle and anything can happen.

I see you've cruised a lot on the QM2. I'm presuming the Alaskan cruise on HAL will no doubt be a lot less formal (although I've never sailed on QM2 and don't know how formal that may be). There are only a couple of gala nights where some get dressed up. Most cruisers will stay informal. The 'classical music' venue is a pianist and violinist duo that play informally in a seating area (Rembrandt Lounge?). Nice but not like a concert hall.

At any rate I hope you have a fantastic time.

Thank you - This has all been amazingly helpful. Well sort of, because I am at work and just spent an hour (plus) looking at the links from the gentleman who posts, menus, activities, etc. I think it looks great - and they really seem to do some special activities themed around Alaska.

Let's face it - I was in a rut with that QM2/Disney thing ;) but I am getting more excited about this.

The 65 year old question was for my single again mom who will be traveling with me and my husband. There will be nights when he and I will dine alone (Asian, for one) and I wanted to get the best idea of how she can meet people during the day, or even join a group for dinner if she wants to. She is extremely outgoing and friendly. She has made friends on Cunard. I will take the advice and join a roll call also. The dancing question was for the two of us (husband and I) who love to dance on the QM2 and it looks like we can get a little bit of it on HAL - though not the formal balls they have on Cunard which is just fine with me(again - breaking out of the rut!)

Yes Cunard is quite formal (jacket always required at night for men), I like it very much, but Disney is the complete opposite and I like that too. They both have excellent service!

Thanks for the weather advice. Though it is a "crapshoot" as mentioned, I have decided to pay a little more and book the 1st voyage in September on the Eurodam, instead. I like the idea of more daylight. I am going to research all the ports, too. And the restaurants - like the Pinnacle Grill (which someone said they ate breakfast in, but I can't find that listed anywhere) I also see they do a "Le Cirque" dinner - one night only it looks like.

Quick question - just curious but can anyone tell me the average age on HAL? just in general?

Thanks!!!:)

PS - Axelskater is an aspiration rather than a fact. I have all singles through lutz. I have not landed the dreaded axel yet, but I hope to. Working Adult Gold MIF, & Gold free. I skate 3x a week. And that's me in the avatar - on the outdoor ice rink at Christmas in front of the original Queen Mary in Long Beach! And yes - falling stinks!

We were in Alaska in 2007 the second week of September. Juneau was cool and damp but we still got our helicopter excursion in! Glacier Bay was cold and damp. In Sitka and Ketchikan we had blue skies and warm weather; after sail aways we had pool time and came home with a tan.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Suggest you get a good pair of shoes. If your feet are cold and wet, you are too. Something insulated with a breathable lining, think goretex or equivalent. Probably cost $100 plus.

Suggest you get a breathable but waterproof light jacket. GoreTex or equivalent. Not insulated but get a size or two larger so you can add layers under the jacket.

Check out Basspro.com or cabelas.com for specifics.

I am going to research all the ports, too. And the restaurants - like the Pinnacle Grill (which someone said they ate breakfast in, but I can't find that listed anywhere) I also see they do a "Le Cirque" dinner - one night only it looks like.

Quick question - just curious but can anyone tell me the average age on HAL? just in general?

Here is a link to all of my menus that will let you see what is available:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-specialty-restaurant-menus/

Thanks for the weather advice. Though it is a "crapshoot" as mentioned, I have decided to pay a little more and book the 1st voyage in September on the Eurodam, instead. I like the idea of more daylight. I am going to research all the ports, too. And the restaurants - like the Pinnacle Grill (which someone said they ate breakfast in, but I can't find that listed anywhere) I also see they do a "Le Cirque" dinner - one night only it looks like.

The PG breakfast is only for guests in a Neptune or Pinnacle Suite. That is one of the perks of those suites.

The average age on HAL depends on the length of the cruise and on the itinerary. Alaska, I find, tends to draw a much greater age range. You'll be fine on HAL.

Thank you. I would say I "frittered away" :D several hours this afternoon looking at your daily programs and a few other things while I was supposed to be working, but, I really don't feel like it was time wasted at all! I like to plan before I go, so it was time well spent.

PS - Axelskater is an aspiration rather than a fact. I have all singles through lutz. I have not landed the dreaded axel yet, but I hope to. Working Adult Gold MIF, & Gold free. I skate 3x a week. And that's me in the avatar - on the outdoor ice rink at Christmas in front of the original Queen Mary in Long Beach! And yes - falling stinks!

Dreams are good. When I was in my mid 40's I made embroidered sweatshirts for a more advanced friend and myself. Hers was "Axel Before Social Security", mine "Lutz Before Social Security". We got lots of chuckles from the coaches on our "smart" goals.;) (Got through, but didn't test Pre-Bronze and Bronze FSA, finished at ISI 3. This diversion is making me want to do a FS, but body is trained for mountain biking now. It's cheaper, so I can cruise.:D

Sorry for the thread drift folks! Now back to our topic.

Oh My Goodness - I can't believe you can have a Bento Box delivered to your room for dinner. I think I love HAL!
That's only on the ships with a Tamarind restaurant: Koningsdam, Nieuw Amsterdam, and Eurodam.