Credit Card overcharged....Dispute it?

My credit card was overcharged for a booking also.

I booked a cruise while on board the ship. I always get a hard copy and also ask them to email a copy to me.

In checking my credit card charge, my account was billed for $100 more than the total amount. I doubled checked my invoice to see if the amount was wrong. Sure enough, the credit card was for $100 more that my invoice.

I called Visa to disputed the $100 over charge. They ask me if I had contacted the vendor, and I told them no. Visa then sent me a letter stating that they have started the dispute process. Visa did all the work for me. I did send them a copy of my invoice. My Royal Caribbean Visa card was credited back for the $100.

I am sadden to hear that Royal will reject that credit card in the future if you dispute any charges.

I am surprised that they have let me charge several more cruises on that same card... Does it make a difference that my Visa is a Royal Caribbean card?

Thanks to the poster who has started this thread.

Edited by Parrotheadtoo

When we've disputed things, the FIRST page on the CC dispute pages states clearly that I must do my own part in working it out with the charging party. If I haven't tried, the dispute process isn't appropriate. Since I'm not comfy lying to my CC company (which I would be doing if I clicked the button to say I'd done so when I hadn't), I backed out of the dispute and worked things out successfully.

Despite a concerted effort to present evidence to the company in regard to my overcharge, I got nothing but silence from them. I then forwarded my well-documented efforts to resolve the problem to my credit card company. No lying involved and the credit card company worked on my behalf to get my refund to me in a timely manner.

Edited by Bookish Angel

So finally the mystery is solved! Still no refund on my card and when I asked my TA for a 3-way conference I guess she calls Royal again instead. Turns out they applied the credit to my friends credit card! So it would have never showed up on my card.

I am having my friend check to make sure she received the refund and if so, I will settle up with her.

I am not only frustrated with RCCL about this, but also highly annoyed with my TA. I don't think she did a very good job and I will not be using her in the future.

So finally the mystery is solved! Still no refund on my card and when I asked my TA for a 3-way conference I guess she calls Royal again instead. Turns out they applied the credit to my friends credit card! So it would have never showed up on my card.

I am having my friend check to make sure she received the refund and if so, I will settle up with her.

I am not only frustrated with RCCL about this, but also highly annoyed with my TA. I don't think she did a very good job and I will not be using her in the future.

I agree, I'd be looking for a new TA. Glad you got the mystery solved and thanks for reporting back.

Why would Royal credit your friends card instead of yours? Even if you were travelling together in the same cabin, if you paid for your booking, the overcharge should have gone back to your credit card.

Why would Royal credit your friends card instead of yours? Even if you were travelling together in the same cabin, if you paid for your booking, the overcharge should have gone back to your credit card.

If the friend is travelling with the OP, perhaps the friend is considered the "lead" person on the reservation and that is why the refund when to him/her.

I had this kind of thing happen to me, I purchased OBC, but it ended up being put on my friend's account as she was considered the lead for the reservation.

Maybe they do the same thing for refunds.

Sounds like you got it figured out, but I generally agree with Merion_Mom's advice on this one. Don't be too hasty to file a dispute with your credit card, especially if a company is working with you to fix the issue. I would reserve a dispute for when you the company you're working with is uncooperative (not just because it's taking a little longer than you think it should).

I've only filed disputes twice. Once was when I had gotten promises of a refund, but never saw anything, and it was getting close to the time limit for filing dispute (which was 90 days in this case). The other was when a company went out of business without me getting what I had already paid for. I tried unsuccessfully to contact the company, then immediately filed a dispute.

Usually, though, both the credit issuer and the vendor prefer that you try to work any disagreements out with the vendor before resorting to filing a dispute.