Tell me all about the Fascination!!

mitsugirly

mitsugirly

sorry about the wine comment haven't been on cruise critic for awhile, they have a trolley on just about every corner which will take you around OSJ free but we choose to walk around town DW loves to window shop. We will do the FORTS this trip did not have time last trip. I researched the BIOLUMINESCENT EXCURSION last cruise the people gave it a thumbs down, you have the navigate the boat without a guide on board they ran into the trees that grow into the water ( can't think of the correct name ) plus the boat overturned very scary. key in the excursion on YOUTUBE and watch for yourself. this was from a person on carnival forum. FASCINATION and OCEANVIEW will be a first for me I usually do BALCONY but we will see.

mitsugirly

sorry about the wine comment haven't been on cruise critic for awhile, they have a trolley on just about every corner which will take you around OSJ free but we choose to walk around town DW loves to window shop. We will do the FORTS this trip did not have time last trip. I researched the BIOLUMINESCENT EXCURSION last cruise the people gave it a thumbs down, you have the navigate the boat without a guide on board they ran into the trees that grow into the water ( can't think of the correct name ) plus the boat overturned very scary. key in the excursion on YOUTUBE and watch for yourself. this was from a person on carnival forum. FASCINATION and OCEANVIEW will be a first for me I usually do BALCONY but we will see.

We're doing the Biobay in electric boats, not the kayaks.

Edited to add: There is also a walking tour where you get to see the Biobay on foot. That is the one I really wanted, but it's not offered while we'll be there. It's called "Bioluminescence and Light Pollution".

Edited by lolavix

Curious how debarkation went. We have a somewhat early plane to catch (11:40) and hoping we don't run into any problems. Sure, anything can happen, but if there was no obvious delay, what time were you off?

Thanks.

I'm curious too so that I can plan when to book a flight out of SJ. How long does it take to get to the airport? Anyone know the cost for a taxi there?

carnival-fascination-1.jpg

I just meant the balconies look a little funny the way they stick straight out of the ship, but they are the exact same (wonderful!) balconies that are on the newer ships. :)

Also, we really like the decor, but that is a personal preference ;)

Oh, ok. I see now. I started looking at pictures to try to figure out what you were talking about and then seen a few of these. I seen a picture that looked like the back of the ship had been on fire or something and when I clicked on it to make it bigger, I seen they were actually adding these balconies onto the back of the ship. I assume that this ship was built without balconies in the beginning?

Hopefully they have their stuff together more so than when I was on, but I would get off as early as possible. It was a mess.... I had a later flight so I was in no hurry to leave, but even at the end it was not a well run debarkation.

they were taking us out the small area on level 3 which with luggage and stuff was VERY cramped. Hopefully they may have changed that.

Also consider that the airport can have very long lines through security.

We are thinking of doing self-debarkation, but I'm not sure we'll be able to do that with kids in tow.

I also know about the airport security. I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.

So what time is a good SAFE time to schedule for a flight out? (considering getting off the ship if it's a cluster flark, catching a taxi, the ride there, then security)

It seemed like there was always food available somewhere!! There was always a lunch buffet available until like two or 3..and then a "Grill" by the pool that was open until 5pm or 6pm....that is where we snacked a lot. Then of course there is a 24 hour pizza station in the bar a the back of the coconut grill. There is also a deli in the same area available 11am-11pm!

As for the ports...I used some of your reviews to help me decide on beaches!! So thanks to you I found some great snorkeling! You rock!!

Hmm, it kinda sounds like our last experience. LOL We are never back on the ship before 2-3, so we miss out on the lunch buffet. By the time we get to the room, shower and dressed, it's usually after 5pm, once again missing out on food. We were pretty much left to eat either pizza or sandwiches most days of the cruise, for dinner. It really sucked. You would think with them knowing that passengers are due back at X time, and they would be hungry, that more food would be open later on those days. :( We found the days we had to eat the pizza, the lines were so long it was so aggravating at times with a tired hungry child that just got out of the kids club and was hungry. She won't eat any of the things they have at the grill.

It was pretty smooth! We had two big suitcases we put outside the room the night before. They give you group tags and then you debark when they call your group. We were number 3 and we were off the ship by 9:15am and at the airport by 10am!! It all seemed pretty well organized. I think if you get a porter in the baggage area you get through customs faster. We took a Carnival bus to the airport.

OK...I HAVE TO ASK. Since we were just in SJ a few months ago, I remember the dock well. But where/how do they do this when you are leaving from this port? Like usually you are in a building checking in and all and then there's just this pier.

Was it the building beside the dock? This place?

P3290584%20copy-L.jpg

mitsugirly

Oh, no need to be sorry about the wine comment. When you said that, I knew you didn't know the joke on me around here about it. No worries.

Oh yea, I do remember the talk about trolleys in OSJ. I will have to check that out. Does it go all the way to the forts? Does it cost to get in to the forts? Although I'm not a "fort" or "history" type of person/family, I think I might decide to go just to kill some time during the day and I think it would give me the opportunity to get some fabulous shots from up there.

Yep, I know about about the navigation. You are in a kayak, so there wouldn't be any room for a tour guide in there with you. But they are in one of their own and you follow the little lights. I have read up extensively on the tour by kayak and you have to go through an area with mangroves, which is where the roots sticking up comes from. I'm a pretty laid back person and would probably get a kick out of this failure to control the kayak. LOL Just saying... it's like being drunk without having anything to drink type of thing.

HERE'S THE FUNNY PART...just a background, I'm a nurse and I'm currently back in school to get another degree. Well, I had a writing class that (I just finished up yesterday) and I had to do a descriptive essay. I decided to do one on biobay. I mean what could be more descriptive than that? :p I did so much research, read reports, looked at pictures, read up on the tours, and read several blogs describing the entire trip. Then I had to write my essay as if I had actually done this trip. :p:o (Because it was actually supposed to be an essay on something you have experienced before, only I hadn't really experienced this...yet). So, honestly I feel like I have done it already, but I haven't. So, now I just HAVE to. :D

We're doing the Biobay in electric boats, not the kayaks.

Edited to add: There is also a walking tour where you get to see the Biobay on foot. That is the one I really wanted, but it's not offered while we'll be there. It's called "Bioluminescence and Light Pollution".

I can't imagine how you would get to really experience it by doing a walking tour? :confused: I know that you used to be able to even swim in it and several years ago they stopped allowing that (see above how I know this lol) because the these one-celled micro-organisms (dinoflagellates) only illuminate when they are disturbed....or otherwise excited, and they started to go away and not be very bright. They figured they had been disturbed too much and decided not to allow people in the water and they eventually came back. (Once you excite them that night, they can no longer light until the following night). So unless you are actually in the water with something (like a boat or kayak) then you wouldn't be able to excite them. So I'm confused. I believe there's only 1 motorboat company that are allowed to do this tour if I remember correctly? They have a have an engine that only uses gas before getting to the bay and then switch to electric going into the bay.

There's so many interesting facts about this (as I said, see above...I did a paper on it) and I just have to experience it one way or another.

(The conditions have to be perfect for this natural wonder to even occur and it's crazy...they need specific nutrients in the water, red mangroves must surround the bay to provide a bacterium with vitamin B12 in large quantities, the temps must stay warm and fairly constant and it must be a fairly calm area with a lot of sunlight during the day. (The calm water allows the salt to sink to the bottom and be carried back out to the ocean by undercurrents because they don't like salty water). :D

I mean who wouldn't want to experience this natural wonder?

we were on the Valor 2014 for the San Juan cruise never had a food problem but when the lines were to long back to the cabin call Room Service worked fine.

Oh gosh...I always forget about room service. :o I have never used it before and maybe I should start! :)

Following along since we'll be on the Fascination in a few months. We'll be flying in the day before and out the day after and are booked in the Howard Johnson. We are really looking forward to the itinerary and I've read nothing that really concerns me about Fascination itself.

OK...I HAVE TO ASK. Since we were just in SJ a few months ago, I remember the dock well. But where/how do they do this when you are leaving from this port? Like usually you are in a building checking in and all and then there's just this pier.

Was it the building beside the dock? This place?

P3290584%20copy-L.jpg

That would be the place

So what time is a good SAFE time to schedule for a flight out? (considering getting off the ship if it's a cluster flark, catching a taxi, the ride there, then security)

I had people who I gave my zone 2 luggage tags to, they missed their 10:00 am flight.

I actually was one of the last off the ship, so I got off at 10:00 and was at the airport by 11:00. I had just heard that it was crazier getting off early since everyone is in such a rush to get off. I also was on second trip out of three so hopefully they have gotten their act ( along with US Customs) together. 3 custom agents were just not enough.

getting Taxi at my time was easy peasy, just go out to the street , and taxis lined up to the left. They give you a ticket with the price so there is no hassle on price when you get to the airport. My fare was $22, $21 for fare and $1 per bag.

On Sunday the trip to the airport was fast, I came in on Friday night which was longer due to rush hour.

I was on American airline which I think is the biggest airline there, so other terminals may not be as busy. I had about a 20 minute wait through security on the TSA Precheck line, the other line was longer.

I would not schedule anything before noon just to be on the safe side, but then again I am never in a hurry to get home from vacation.

Following along since we'll be on the Fascination in a few months. We'll be flying in the day before and out the day after and are booked in the Howard Johnson. We are really looking forward to the itinerary and I've read nothing that really concerns me about Fascination itself.

Have you stayed at the Howard Johnson before? Can you tell me more if so? How close to the port is it?

you will love the itinerary haven't been on the Fascination but the positive reviews outweigh the negative, plus 7 day cruise with 6 ports love-it.

Awesome! I don't take things too seriously and like to experience things for myself no matter what others say, but this is good to hear. :)

That would be the place

Awesome. Now I know what that place was. LOL

I had people who I gave my zone 2 luggage tags to, they missed their 10:00 am flight.

I actually was one of the last off the ship, so I got off at 10:00 and was at the airport by 11:00. I had just heard that it was crazier getting off early since everyone is in such a rush to get off. I also was on second trip out of three so hopefully they have gotten their act ( along with US Customs) together. 3 custom agents were just not enough.

getting Taxi at my time was easy peasy, just go out to the street , and taxis lined up to the left. They give you a ticket with the price so there is no hassle on price when you get to the airport. My fare was $22, $21 for fare and $1 per bag.

On Sunday the trip to the airport was fast, I came in on Friday night which was longer due to rush hour.

I was on American airline which I think is the biggest airline there, so other terminals may not be as busy. I had about a 20 minute wait through security on the TSA Precheck line, the other line was longer.

I would not schedule anything before noon just to be on the safe side, but then again I am never in a hurry to get home from vacation.

Awesome. Thanks so much for the info. I'm never in a hurry to get off either most cruises and hang around as long as I can. :D

Have you stayed at the Howard Johnson before? Can you tell me more if so? How close to the port is it?

Awesome! I don't take things too seriously and like to experience things for myself no matter what others say, but this is good to hear. :)

We haven't stayed in this particular one before so it will be all a new experience for us. I believe the last time I was in San Juan was in the late 70's when it was a port of call for my first ship in the Navy. I am sure it's changed a little since then:).

Here is something I loved about this itinerary, especially in summer. You are basically the only ship in every port. I even checked for the week after Thanksgiving and maybe share with the Jewel or this other small ship on some ports. Places that are usually crowded like Megan's Bay were an absolute delight.

Here is something I loved about this itinerary, especially in summer. You are basically the only ship in every port. I even checked for the week after Thanksgiving and maybe share with the Jewel or this other small ship on some ports. Places that are usually crowded like Megan's Bay were an absolute delight.

Oh my gosh! You are so correct. I knew that we are supposed to be the only ship in port in St Thomas, but I hadn't check the others until now. We are the only ship in every port! (Well, except for St Kitts, which I can not find??? :confused: What are they listed under?)

Just checked....only ship in St. kitts also in August

Thanks! :)

On the cruise embarking on 8/21, we are the only ship in port except for the disembarkation day. And that does not really count since the other Carnival ship does not arrive before we disembark.

We are the only ship the day we are there too. :D

It also makes time in OSJ so much more enjoyable since there were no ships in for the day on Saturday (except AOS, but that is there turnaround day and they are across the bay) Nice not having 3 ships of passengers all trying to do the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...
Thinking about booking this ship out of San Juan.

Tell me your thoughts-good or bad, about the ship. The must see's, the shows, how did you like the water park? Any hidden secrets?

Of course if you took it out of San Juan, how did you like it? Must see and do there and even a good place to stay if so. :)

I just published here on the forums my cruise review on Fascination ... or you can read it here:

https://imaginairie.wordpress.com/2016/06/30/on-board-the-carnival-funship-fascination-is-like-living-with-aladdins-lamp/