Tell me all about the Fascination!!

mitsugirly

I just published here on the forums my cruise review on Fascination ... or you can read it here:

https://imaginairie.wordpress.com/2016/06/30/on-board-the-carnival-funship-fascination-is-like-living-with-aladdins-lamp/

That was an awesome review of the ship and the ports. It sounds like you had a lot of fun and I'm so happy you got to do your first cruise and had such an amazing time. There's one thing that I have learned with cruising, read everything you can-the good and the bad, then do it yourself and form your own opinion. I heard the same things you did about (Carnival) them and had I listened, I would have never got the opportunity to have a blast on the ships I have been on so far. There hasn't been a bad one yet! :D I'm looking forward to our Fascination cruise and can't wait to get to the ports!

That was an awesome review of the ship and the ports. It sounds like you had a lot of fun and I'm so happy you got to do your first cruise and had such an amazing time. There's one thing that I have learned with cruising, read everything you can-the good and the bad, then do it yourself and form your own opinion. I heard the same things you did about (Carnival) them and had I listened, I would have never got the opportunity to have a blast on the ships I have been on so far. There hasn't been a bad one yet! :D I'm looking forward to our Fascination cruise and can't wait to get to the ports!

I agree and would only add that if I do read something bad the first thing that I ask myself is "would this bother me if it happened to us"? Most of the time the answer is, um, no not really:). Then if it were to be something that would bother us I try to 1) figure out how often it occurs to determine if it's just an anomaly or if it is something that happens frequently and 2) if it is an anomaly how would I deal with it to avoid it or address it. A lot of the time the bad is either something that wouldn't particularly bother me or is something that could happen just about anywhere (like having a dish dropped in your lap or that rare time when you get a server that isn't up to snuff).

I agree and would only add that if I do read something bad the first thing that I ask myself is "would this bother me if it happened to us"? Most of the time the answer is, um, no not really:). Then if it were to be something that would bother us I try to 1) figure out how often it occurs to determine if it's just an anomaly or if it is something that happens frequently and 2) if it is an anomaly how would I deal with it to avoid it or address it. A lot of the time the bad is either something that wouldn't particularly bother me or is something that could happen just about anywhere (like having a dish dropped in your lap or that rare time when you get a server that isn't up to snuff).

Excellent points to consider as well! :)

I just published here on the forums my cruise review on Fascination ... or you can read it here:

https://imaginairie.wordpress.com/2016/06/30/on-board-the-carnival-funship-fascination-is-like-living-with-aladdins-lamp/

Thank you. We are doing that cruise (but out of San Juan, not Barbados).

Question---are there beaches within walking distance of where the ship docks on any of these islands, or are they all far enough away that you need to either take a cab or an excursion?

Question---are there beaches within walking distance of where the ship docks on any of these islands, or are they all far enough away that you need to either take a cab or an excursion?

You pretty much have to take a cab or excursion. in St Martin you can take the water taxi to the beach in Phillipsburg, I would only recommend that beach if you like just sit on the beach or eat/drink. The water quality has a reputation of being iffy for swimming.

Some people say you can walk to one of the beaches in Barbados, I would take the taxi

On the map yes... They look like they are close but other than St Martin in reality no... You have to make your way to the beaches. Of course not to waste tome it's theyaxi. 😄 Have a great vacation and if "Kris with a K" is still on duty you will have a lot of fun! I know Ayu one of the headwaitresses she was going home for 2 months... Again enjoy n have fun.

carnival-fascination-1.jpg

I just meant the balconies look a little funny the way they stick straight out of the ship, but they are the exact same (wonderful!) balconies that are on the newer ships. :)

Also, we really like the decor, but that is a personal preference ;)

The balconies look strange because they were not on the original ship when it was first built; they were added in years later.

Call me paranoid, but I can't book one because I have a fear that they are unsafe due to being added on. I have it in my head that the balcony will fall off the ship. Completely irrational thinking, believe me I know, but oh well. I'm saving money anyway by booking a port hole interior for my November Fascination cruise! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The balconies look strange because they were not on the original ship when it was first built; they were added in years later.

Call me paranoid, but I can't book one because I have a fear that they are unsafe due to being added on. I have it in my head that the balcony will fall off the ship. Completely irrational thinking, believe me I know, but oh well. I'm saving money anyway by booking a port hole interior for my November Fascination cruise! [emoji4]

You would think they'd have fallen off already (but I am still not showing your response to DW:eek:, she wouldn't get any sleep:)).

Did this itinerary May 2015 and loved being the only ship in port. It really makes it nicer in the ports, beaches, etc. While some places may be busy, no overwhelming crowds.

Edited by aztekpm

LOL ... this put a smile on my face as I was stepping out (the very first time), I stopped a split second, then, I said we are the first balcony floor, so if anything I'll be in the water that I love swimming in ... so no worries :p

If you are up for a 20 minute walk, you can walk to a place called "The Boatyard" in Barbados. From the port, you walk into town, cross a bridge, and a block later you are there. With your admission you get two chairs and an umbrella, a couple of free drinks, access to their pier which has a rope swing and diving platforms and a free snorkeling trip to swim with turtles! Also, it includes a cab ride back to the port! It was such a good time, we stayed there the whole time. If it is really hot and humid, I would just take a cab over to it and skip the walk, though. We had been to Barbados twice and wanted to walk the streets again, so it was no big deal.

Absolutely ... that's so true ... many things don't bug me, and there would be one little thing and that would bug me.

But on this cruise 99.9% was more than excellent.. As I wrote in my review, I didn't really mind that they were unable to exchange the voucher at the shore excursions desk, I got irritated by the shrugging shoulder gesture (I know I'm detail oriented!). Being in customer service for years, that is one of the things I cannot stand. That's a pure disrespect...but, that girl is lucky, because she has many, many, many great co-workers having her back :) And, they are so awesome ... so wonderful, till this day, I miss their lovely smiles, and helpful approaches very much ...

Thank you again for the point ...