Will I stick out on the Pride in a Tux in July?

Rock_Dr

I own a Tux and don't get to use it much anymore. It doesn't take much to pack it as we are driving to Baltimore. Every year we cruise we see less and less but haven't been on Carnival since 2012.

Will I be alone? We have late seating if that makes a difference.

What about long evening gowns for my wife and daughter?

I own a Tux and don't get to use it much anymore. It doesn't take much to pack it as we are driving to Baltimore. Every year we cruise we see less and less but haven't been on Carnival since 2012.

Wear what you want - everyone else does. On my last cruise on the Pride, I did not see any Tuxes, but we had ATD - which appeals to a more informal crowd. As a matter of fact, I do only saw two or three suits. I usually wore a dress shirt, tie, and kakis and felt a little over-dressed.

Take it. Wear it. You probably WILL see a few others in a Tuxedo. Not a lot, but some, and I gtd you people will enjoy seeing you in it. Not many people dress formally anymore, even ashore. I always take my Tux, and in summer months, my white dinner jacket, in winter months, Velvet jacket. I am comfortable with others around in slacks, casual dresses, but it alwys sparks converstion, and I enjoy dressing up. I have noticed the women seem to go more draessy than the men. Have your wife and daughters wear their gowns.

Most will not have one.

Take it and wear it proud sir. Hopefully you will rub off on the dorks who show up in jeans or shorts on Elegant night

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

We just got off the Pride June 19, and both elegant nights we saw people wearing all sorts of attire from a Tux, to a sports jacket, to polo shirts, and even some shorts with tshirts.

Just wear what you are comfortable in, and dont worry about what everyone else is wearing. You will look FABULOUS and can get some great photos while your at it.

Hubby wore polos on casual nights and elegant nights wore suit and tie. But that is how he chose to dress, or should I say I chose. LOL!!

Have a GREAT cruise!!!:D

I think it's wonderful a family, a couple, a solo gets dressed up to make the effort to make the night more special as part of the cruise experience.

when we went on the pride we had seen people in tux and sports jackets and we had early dinning and seen a lot of that. when we seen people headed for your time dinning later in the evening not to many people were dressed all out. However when looking at photos the people that did dress up for the elegant pics they turned out beautiful!! Most of all have fun its a great experience:)

Yes, you will stick out. On the other hand, no one cares.

Even if someone cares, and some of us do, we can't do anything about it anyway.;)

Heather, please rearrange your cruise clocks. That long horizontal list causes all posts to go to a wide format instead of us simply being able to scroll down.

I have been wearing a tux to these elegant (previously known as elegant ) nights for my last nine cruises. You can find a ton of threads in regards to the dress in the MDR here on this forum. There is the "I am on vacation and I dress what I want ! " crowd .

Then there is the "yeah, but's it's formal night and everyone should dress up" crowd and about everything in between.

It's a dress code, and simply put, there are those who try to bend the rules. If a tuxedo were required you'll find those who want to get by with just a suit; if Carnival asks that you don't wear shorts, you can count on someone trying to wear them anyway.

Those cruisers who follow the dress code to the letter often complain of lax enforcement, and truth be told, Carnival seems loath to turn people away, especially for minor infractions.

There are plenty of stories on this forum where people in shorts and T-shirts got let in when at least a suit and tie is supposed to be required !

Carnival adds to this problem by varying these enforcement rules over the ships as at least on some ships, people do get turned away from the dining room and not on others for essentially the same wear.

Carnival has loosened the dress code over the years and now is saying that one can dress up if one chooses to:

On elegant nights guests may choose to dress more formally (suit and tie, tuxedo, and the evening gown).

So as long as you meet the carnival dress code guidelines, you will enjoy a fine meal with your fellow cruisers but be fully aware that you will see people in the MDR trying to dress as casually as they can get away with.

It is never a problem for us as we usually have our own table and we are all dressed up, but it could lead to some awkwardness if some are dressed in shorts and t-shirts and some in tuxes on the same table.

Just remember, you will not get turned away for looking too dressed up !

My wife wears shorter cocktail or formal dresses. I wear my tux as onboard ship I'm not paying for a wedding or being asked to write a check to a charity. :) Go for it. I doubt if you'll be alone and you'll be looking good!

Wear it! I always wear a full length gown on elegant evening, husband wears a very nice dark suit, white shirt, and tie. I love dressing up for the occasion. Who cares if others don't!?

We get our "annual" portrait done, too, while on our cruise all dressed to the nines.

I'd wear it. You may be among the few, but you'll also be the best dressed guy in the place. Nothing wrong with that. Don't worry about July - I was on the Pride in Mexico in June and people wore tuxes (and dark suits) on formal night. The ship has A/C after all.

As for long gowns, I think a cocktail dress is a better way to go especially in the summer.

Edited by Z0nker