New to Cunard - 1st sailing on QM2 New England - Observations from a newbie so far

mtsublueraider

I'm getting off the kennel discussion to ask a question since our first QM2 cruise will be next June as a westbound TA.

We will be sailing Britannia class. If we don't dress up properly on an informal night or on a formal night exactly where will be able to go on the ship? We would have to eat at the buffet restaurant but would we be able to see the show in the theater or go to any music venues?

My DH has a black dress sport coat that he pairs with nice black dress slacks. Would this be ok to wear any night? I don't have any evening gowns but do have a couple little black dresses. Would these work with some glittery accessories?

Before we board the QM2 we will have sailed to Europe on a Norwegian ship followed by a Celebrity Russia and Baltic cruise. DH doesn't want to fly to Europe so this is my alternative way to get to see St. Petersburg!

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Depends on whether the powers that be think it's appropriate for Britannia passengers to look down upon the Grills guests. ;)

...or for Grills passengers to look up to Britannia passengers :eek:

Edited by Salacia

I'm getting off the kennel discussion to ask a question since our first QM2 cruise will be next June as a westbound TA.

We will be sailing Britannia class. If we don't dress up properly on an informal night or on a formal night exactly where will be able to go on the ship? We would have to eat at the buffet restaurant but would we be able to see the show in the theater or go to any music venues?

You can eat in the buffet, and relax in the Carinthia Lounge (I think. The rule was written when it was the Winter Garden). But you're not supposed to be in the theater or other lounges (it happens, though).

My DH has a black dress sport coat that he pairs with nice black dress slacks. Would this be ok to wear any night? I don't have any evening gowns but do have a couple little black dresses. Would these work with some glittery accessories?

You'll be fine. There's a thin line between a black suit and a black sport coat with black slacks. Are they the same fabric? Does it look like a suit?

(I expect no one would turn your husband away in that, but he would be considered underdressed by many if he's not at least wearing a suit.)

...or for Grills passengers to look up to Britannia passengers :eek:

It's never really bothered me either way: being watched or doing the watching.

It may even have been a source of amusement to some to witness a Grill's passenger wandering up to the Boardwalk Cafe and returning with a good old burger for his lunch.

Ever the Philistine.

Not the only Early Birds Richard

Here is a pic of The remastered Grills Deck area before the deck staff have placed the steamer cushions out. Deck 11 also hosts a Brand New Shower head !

Note the Larger Dog Walk area Above which used to be a viewing area for all guests.

...and with dogs onboard John...

16978993029_2c59639220_z.jpg

17164555231_2c34c34096_z.jpg

This:

QM2 ...the outside area of the kennels...

Remains one of my favourite photos of outside the kennels.

Like he's a beggar being asked to "move on"... "You can't sit there!" :D

The juxtaposition of world's most expensive liner, "hoody", "begging" bowl, dog, and authority... just tickled me at the time! Maybe it's just me :o

Best wishes to all four-legged passengers in the Deck 12 Suite :)

Edited by pepperrn

This:

www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/4662672318/in/album-72157623936817859/

The juxtaposition of world's most expensive liner, "hoody", "begging" bowl, dog, and authority... just tickled me at the time! Maybe it's just me :o

Yes, very funny! :D

Regarding the formal wear question: We are just off the QM2 July 1. My formal outfit was a black blazer, black slacks, black shoes, white shirt and a conservative tie. I was allowed into all areas of the ship and no one gave me the evil eye nor forced me to walk the plank. A simple black cocktail dress with accessories for the lady would be just fine and would probably look better than many of the "formal gowns" worn on board.

Regarding the formal wear question: We are just off the QM2 July 1. My formal outfit was a black blazer, black slacks, black shoes, white shirt and a conservative tie. I was allowed into all areas of the ship and no one gave me the evil eye nor forced me to walk the plank. A simple black cocktail dress with accessories for the lady would be just fine and would probably look better than many of the "formal gowns" worn on board.

It's not true formal, but it meets the standard to a degree.

Good afternoon from me.

My wife and I did this itinerary a few years ago as part of a back to back Atlantic crossing.

The full itinerary can be found in the review I wrote on my cruise blog...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/03/21/queen-mary-2-grand-new-england-and-canadian-wonders-cruise/

There are plenty of pictures and of course there are new carpets now: but the basics remain.

You are in for a treat.

I thought of a question.... On the "sea" days on this route are you close enough to shore to see the fall colors? What about the seaway? Thanks!

I thought of a question.... On the "sea" days on this route are you close enough to shore to see the fall colors? What about the seaway? Thanks!

Not really. We did see the colours while at anchor at Bar Harbour and of course sailing down the St Lawrence River...

27574419663_ebb8b273b0_z.jpg

28111957301_dc543795c4_z.jpg

Sorry, not sure about 'seaway'.

This:

QM2 ...the outside area of the kennels...

Thanks for sharing! The owner could well be begging with the increase in fees since the refit! The cheapest kennel (upper) is $800 USD ...a $300 increase since last summer....but the pets do indeed receive good care.

Edited by Cancun01

Not really. We did see the colours while at anchor at Bar Harbour and of course sailing down the St Lawrence River...

27574419663_ebb8b273b0_z.jpg

28111957301_dc543795c4_z.jpg

Sorry, not sure about 'seaway'.

Love the pictures! Thanks! Yeah I mainly wondered what the views would be like while cruising and not just in port. Thanks for the heads up.