Do you want Celebrity to move your Turkey port

bogofman

Do you want Celebrity to move Turkey port destinations  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Celebrity to move Turkey port destinations

• Yes
    • No

What is really insensitive and just plain wrong is that the Ataturk airport was open 5 hours after the attack. So much for gathering of uncontaminated evidence. So much for respect for those who died, the injured and their families. Business as usual is the policy, lest they lose a few dollars by keeping it closed . Belgium kept the airport closed for two weeks.

Ataturk is almost three times the size (passenger load) and the attacks there never gained serious entry into the terminals.

Norwood.... you need a little time off my friend. :o

Our Reflection cruise for August 2017 has also switched out Kusadasi for Malta. For me, i've done Kusadasi twice but never Malta, so this is a welcome change. But i do feel for Turkey, i have been to Istanbul, Kusadasi and other holiday spots on the coast. Its such a beautiful country and their tourism is being impacted heavily. In fact, i am spending 2 weeks on the southern coast next month, people think we are mad but an attack could happen anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Malta is a wonderful substitute. Be sure to be up early to see the view in. I've been on a number of cruises where ports have been substituted. Missed Israel twice and Egypt once. Celebrity must be cautious.

Reflection Sailing on 18th July has replaced Kusadasi and Bodrum with Rhodes and Sicily, were on the 8th August sailing and as of now still going to Turkey, but would prefer not to.

Reflection Sailing on 18th July has replaced Kusadasi and Bodrum with Rhodes and Sicily, were on the 8th August sailing and as of now still going to Turkey, but would prefer not to.

I agree. I will be happy to have a change in our itinerary. The Canadian government has issued an "avoid all travel to turkey" which is their highest level. Although we are not going to cancel, I will need to actually read our travel insurance small print to see the consequences of traveling against the advisory. I would vote for Malta, Croatia or an extra sea day as alternatives. Even an overnight in Naples would be great - so many different things to see in Naples, it was hard to pick one.

See you soon!!

Mel

I'd want to avoid Istanbul this year, sadly.

Would probably be happy with Kusadasi next month onwards.

Quite different places.

Stuart

I agree. These are very different places. No different than avoiding the entire US due to riots in one city.

Our Turkey port was replaced by Cyprus for our July 2017 cruise on the Equinox. If it was due to safety issues, I'm ok. The Celebrity person I spoke with, though, said it was due to a lack of interest in the port. Think they were giving me the company line!

I actually think that it is possibly due to lack of interest. Reading these message boards a lot of people are not wanting to go anywhere in Turkey. Even Kusadasi which has never been affected by the problems in Turkey.

Just be aware that you are now probably only visiting EU ports. There is a price to pay. Be prepared to pay VAT of around 20% on purchases.

Malta is amazing.

Just be aware everyone wanting a change, when other lines dropped Istanbul as an embarkation port the airfare changes were on the passenger if you hadn't booked cruise air

And if your cruise was only to EU ports, the VAT of 20% is now a factor. Be prepared to pay more for onboard purchases.

I read the title of this post and thought "how silly, this is a no brainer obvious question..." and then I read the responses.

This country just went through a violent attempt to overthrow the government. Scores died, hundreds were arrested and in the wake additional arrests eroding the judicial and government infrastructure are underway.

Anyone who thinks that they can safely drop anchor and tour the area are out of their minds. And....just because it is done or was done under similar circumstances means you were lucky, not that it was safe. Changing a flight is an inconvenience. Nothing more.

I read the title of this post and thought "how silly, this is a no brainer obvious question..." and then I read the responses.

This country just went through a violent attempt to overthrow the government. Scores died, hundreds were arrested and in the wake additional arrests eroding the judicial and government infrastructure are underway.

Anyone who thinks that they can safely drop anchor and tour the area are out of their minds. And....just because it is done or was done under similar circumstances means you were lucky, not that it was safe. Changing a flight is an inconvenience. Nothing more.

The thread started in June

The thread started in June

Yes but the last post was only about 9 hours ago.

Been to Kusadasi twice and we loved the people we met. So friendly and funny and didn't hound us to buy things from them, just wanted to chat.

We're so sad this is happening to a beautiful country with so much to offer. It's unfortunate that their economy will suffer.

BTW, I thought I read on X's site that they were replacing it with Athens.

I'd be hesitant to go there right now as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes but the last post was only about 9 hours ago.

Been to Kusadasi twice and we loved the people we met. So friendly and funny and didn't hound us to buy things from them, just wanted to chat.

We're so sad this is happening to a beautiful country with so much to offer. It's unfortunate that their economy will suffer.

BTW, I thought I read on X's site that they were replacing it with Athens.

I'd be hesitant to go there right now as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Constellation Kusadasi port has not been changed to Athens and we will call at Athens anyway so that would not be a replacement. Would be interests if you had a link to what you have read.

Anyone who thinks that they can safely drop anchor and tour the area are out of their minds.

Thank you for that carefully-argued rational contribution to the debate, based, no doubt, on your personal knowledge of the current situation across the whole of Turkey.

Insulting people who disagree with you is commonly the sign of a lack of more substantive argument, and this post is no exception.

Stuart

Thank you for that carefully-argued rational contribution to the debate, based, no doubt, on your personal knowledge of the current situation across the whole of Turkey.

Insulting people who disagree with you is commonly the sign of a lack of more substantive argument, and this post is no exception.

Stuart

Well put.

Cannot wait to hopefully visit Turkey on our cruise in October. Regarding the recent government turmoil in Turkey, we are not worried nor would never plane to cancel over this. Especially with the events being far away from where we will be visiting and for the fact that this event and the people involved are not after tourists. I have been in other countries during government issues and though while it can be an inconvenience, we are not involved.

In regards to the recent attacks from extremist, this can happen anywhere at any time. I certainly would not cancel a trip to France, Orlando, Belgium, or any of the other places and locations that these horrible events have occurred.

Well put.

Cannot wait to hopefully visit Turkey on our cruise in October. Regarding the recent government turmoil in Turkey, we are not worried nor would never plane to cancel over this. Especially with the events being far away from where we will be visiting and for the fact that this event and the people involved are not after tourists. I have been in other countries during government issues and though while it can be an inconvenience, we are not involved.

In regards to the recent attacks from extremist, this can happen anywhere at any time. I certainly would not cancel a trip to France, Orlando, Belgium, or any of the other places and locations that these horrible events have occurred.

For what it's worth, here is my opinion. I personally feel that until Turkey settles, all port calls should be cancelled. There has been more trouble today, with one of the town Mayors being shot dead. There is trouble at the airport also. There was trouble in Kusadasi in the afternoon of Friday past, when the coup was beginning. I would prefer Celebrity to cancel, as this is not a good time for visiting the country.

I am hoping that, on our upcoming cruise, we visit Turkey.

Erdogan appears to have shut down his opposition swiftly. The coup was staged by a small part of the military and opposed by the Turkish population, so is unlikely to be repeated in the near future in my opinion. Even if it were, the chances of unrest on the scale of that seen in Istanbul and Ankara out in Kusadisi and Bodrum are slim.

The UK Foreign Office are not advising people to reconsider travel, nor are they advising not to travel to Turkey, other than the area near to Syria for obvious reasons.

As for terrorist attacks - they can happen anywhere, at any time and statistically you're more likely to be run down crossing the road.

Of course, all this is just my opinion - and others will disagree.

I am hoping that, on our upcoming cruise, we visit Turkey.

Erdogan appears to have shut down his opposition swiftly. The coup was staged by a small part of the military and opposed by the Turkish population, so is unlikely to be repeated in the near future in my opinion. Even if it were, the chances of unrest on the scale of that seen in Istanbul and Ankara out in Kusadisi and Bodrum are slim.

The UK Foreign Office are not advising people to reconsider travel, nor are they advising not to travel to Turkey, other than the area near to Syria for obvious reasons.

As for terrorist attacks - they can happen anywhere, at any time and statistically you're more likely to be run down crossing the road.

Of course, all this is just my opinion - and others will disagree.

I guess the question is how long will it take to get things back to normal and do they have enough security to put the minds of Cruise Lines and travelers at ease. The following is from Reuters today

"A senior security official told Reuters that 8,000 police officers, including in the capital Ankara and the biggest city Istanbul, had been removed from their posts on suspicion of links to Friday's coup bid.

Thirty regional governors and more than 50 high-ranking civil servants have also been dismissed, CNN Turk said. Annual leave was suspended for more than 3 million civil servants, and those already on leave were ordered back to their posts.

In the latest violence, an unidentified assailant burst into the office of the deputy mayor of a district in Istanbul and shot him in the head.

Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said 7,543 people had so far been detained, including 6,038 soldiers".

Edited by janewe

6000 soldiers is just over 1% of their forces...probably less than the UK lost when they reduced the Armed Forces budget.

8000 police is around 2%....probably less than our new PM cut from the UK police force during recent austerity cuts.

I'm sure the Cruise lines will take the best decision they can on the information they have to hand. But numbers need to be put into context to be meaningful....I learnt that after all the scaremongering our own Government put about recently during our EU referendum :)