Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

Thanks LOL

My dh will just have to deal with it and he said it stinks but nothing he can do now. My mom, who is traveling with us, also drinks ONLY Diet Coke and I haven't broken the news to her yet LOL

How can someone only drink ONE beverage all day long?:confused: I dont get how someone can suave on only one type of beverage and they will wither away if they dont have it for a week... I though Humans were adaptable :D

How can someone only drink ONE beverage all day long?:confused: I dont get how someone can suave on only one type of beverage and they will wither away if they dont have it for a week... I though Humans were adaptable :D

She doesn't ONLY drink Diet Coke but it's okay, you don't have to understand.

Thanks for the input and help.

Edited by js

I agree that they could have grandfathered everyone past final payment date. But even if they had, I'm sure there would still be complaints from people who already made flight arrangements, etc.

And this wouldn't address the problem from the people whose husband REFUSES to drink Diet Pepsi and MUST have his Diet Coke. These people would really cancel a cruise because of soda? It appears that many would

They wouldn't even have to grandfather people in if they used a date far enough in advance...Dec 1, for example. That would give ample time for everyone to be notified and for anyone to cancel if it was a make or break issue for them. You would still have some with complaints, like those who have already paid for flights, but it would have greatly minimized the problem.

The way they have done this was very unfair to those who are past final payment.

Sigh.

To repeat. IF THE SYSTEM IS PROPERLY MAINTAINED THERE IS NO SIGNIFICANT SODIUM IN SHIP PRODUCED DRINKING WATER. There may be some in water brought on from shore, but this is also unlikely as that water is still filtered and processed.

Yes, I am shouting, because this point has been made clear and documented over and over, and still people say it.

The ships use the exact same process used to produce most bottled water, which if you look, you will find is sodium free.

You quoted me, but I didn't say the ships water has or doesn't have sodium in the water. All I said was that the charcoal filter wasn't going to remove any sodium. And that is what people seem to be concerned about.

Personally I feel there is no need to carry around bottles with filters because I know that the water is filtered and I also know what the carbon filters can (and cannot) remove.

Last year I brought some sodium test strips on a Carnival cruise to test the water from the tap myself, but I forgot to do it because I was having too much fun. I'll look at the strips, and if they are not expired, I will bring them with me on the Pearl in August and see if I remember to test the water.

Maggie

Trust me it is super easy. Especially if you have peculiar taste preferences, etc. I for one am like that as I do have Asperger's syndrome and my taste preferences are pretty set. When something by either taste or texture isn't too my liking, I can't get past it and just manage to choke it down -which is essentially what I would be doing. You would be surprised how when something has an odd flavor to it, that taste can be horribly overpowering and hard to explain to someone who just doesn't get it. Only thing NCL has going for it right now is they sell Mtn Dew, but my mother will be disappointed as she drinks Diet Coke and she can't stand the taste of Diet Pepsi. She will however drink tea.

I dislike (or hate in fact) - coffee, tea, wine and beer. I drink Mtn Dew, I will if absolutely necessary drink a lemonade or Sprite. I don't drink Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, Rootbeer, nothing diet, Ginger Ale, 7-Up, Seltzer Water, Tonic Water, I don't like Apple or orange juice, I can manage Cranberry juice. Get the picture? I drink only whole milk (which is also horribly hard to find on cruises and it must be very, very cold which is basically unheard of).

So this pretty much leaves us drinking a crap ton of alcohol on the trip (as I can manage liquor), but not wine or beer.

She doesn't ONLY drink Diet Coke but it's okay, you don't have to understand.

Thanks for the input and help.

If she doesnt only drink “that” then what is the problem? what did humans do 30-40 years ago on the LOVE BOAT when no one ever carried on drinks and before the shysters learned to bottle tap water? did people survive on a cruise then?:cool:

It's SODA. Give me a freakin' break!

I'm glad they charge 500+% markup for wine & liquor.

It's just wine & spirits.

You pissed it away anyhow right money?.

Edited by OV8

Ever hear of GOOGLE ??? See below.

Aquafina Purified Drinking Water - 32/16.9 oz. Regular Price: $7.99

Special Price $5.35

Availability: In stock

Sodium-free, fat-free and gluten-free.

Now, is this condescending or patronizing? I can never tell!

If she doesnt only drink “that” then what is the problem? what did humans do 30-40 years ago on the LOVE BOAT when no one ever carried on drinks and before the shysters learned to bottle tap water? did people survive on a cruise then?:cool:
That's what I've been wondering all along.... 30 years ago when I was a kid there was no such thing as bottled water. How did people ever survive and stay hydrated when running errands or being out and about? From what I recall, people relied on public drinking fountains. "Funny" or metal taste? Oh well. At least it's water.

I think people were a lot more flexible and adaptable back then.

Forty years ago, nobody carried laptops on board, either.

Maybe NCL should start charging a laptop surchage, because people once got along just fine cruising without one.

Dumb argument.

Bottom line is that NCL changed something (and very abruptly) which has upset many passengers, in the name of profit. And the change isn't industry standard. And in the few cases in the industry where this is being done, reasonable alternatives (such as reasonably priced water) are being provided, while on NCL no such alternatives exist.

Forty years ago, nobody carried laptops on board, either.

Maybe NCL should start charging a laptop surchage, because people once got along just fine cruising without one.

Dumb argument.

Bottom line is that NCL changed something (and very abruptly) which has upset many passengers, in the name of profit. And the change isn't industry standard. And in the few cases in the industry where this is being done, reasonable alternatives (such as reasonably priced water) are being provided, while on NCL no such alternatives exist.

No its not a dumb argument. forty years ago we all drinks from the hose of the hearest neighbors house when we were playing for the day. Im sure almost every one on here remembers their mom saying dont come home till the street lights come on.

So dont say its dumb argument because you happened to become accustomed to the false lie of bottled water being healthier.

Dont be so ignorant at your age.

Life survived on this planet for hundreds of millions of years without the invent of the plastic bottle...

anyways... good luck with your life.:D

No its not a dumb argument. forty years ago we all drinks from the hose of the hearest neighbors house when we were playing for the day. Im sure almost every one on here remembers their mom saying dont come home till the street lights come on.

So dont say its dumb argument because you happened to become accustomed to the false lie of bottled water being healthier.

Life survived on this planet for hundreds of millions of years without the invent of the plastic bottle...

Many of us also stood up straight & learn a few things too besides dragging knuckles.

But hey you believe what you want to believe & other will do as they please.

We don't need your well wishes gramps.

Just got this .

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy .

I love how the title of the post http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=50484260&postcount=2009 with these comments, was "Offered without comment". Not only comments, but took the time to re-size the comments to make them stand out.

:D

Stephen

Edited by sjbdtz

And this wouldn't address the problem from the people whose husband REFUSES to drink Diet Pepsi and MUST have his Diet Coke. These people would really cancel a cruise because of soda? It appears that many would, but I think that seems a bit extreme. If they need a Diet Coke fix, drink one while in port.

why not. people have cancelled cruises over more trivial things.

I drink "my" brand of tea at home. I don't like Lipton and I think the Fields and Select brand that NCL also carries tastes like soap. I like my snacks that I have at home that aren't available on NCL. And the toilet paper they have onboard just feels so cheap and rough against my sensitive rear.

how things effect you doesn't matter to anyone else just as how things effect anyone else doesn't seem to matter to you.

He's not saying it's a dumb argument because he is "accustomed to the false lie of bottled water being healthier."

He is saying it's a dumb argument to say we are ok with giving up choice just because we lacked those choices in the years before.

Science progresses, Medicine progresses, in general we as a society progress. Your argument is that it's ok if we regress because we made do without it before.

We used to use asbestos for insulation. Then we progressed cause we learned about it's harmful effects. This is progress. If someone tomorrow tried to sell you a house with asbestos in it would you be willing to buy it simply because humans have been using it since the ancient days of Rome and they seemed to do alright?

Edited by bazil501

She drank Tab and didnt cruise lol

That's what I've been wondering all along.... 30 years ago when I was a kid there was no such thing as bottled water. How did people ever survive and stay hydrated when running errands or being out and about?

From what I recall, people relied on public drinking fountains. "Funny" or metal taste? Oh well. At least it's water.

I think people were a lot more flexible and adaptable back then.

214ebf4e9abf8c7d95a82791fa93e45d.jpg

Now we can't do that due to the toxins.

dMG1U6.jpg

Can't do this anymore due to the germs and bacteria.

Which you will lose if you can even find an attorney of any repute to take a very clear case of NCL being right. You cancelled after final, unless you have the proper insurance you get nothing back. It isn't difficult! The CC company will investigate and you will end up still paying the bill.

However he might get his money back via the credit card dispute because...

He paid for one thing

The company he paid changed what they offered him initially which made him book

So

The company...Ncl... Is no longer going to provide what he expected from them

The pax actually has a very good case and credit card companies do tend to take care of their customers in disputes

Fwiw Ncl really should have offered those past final payment to opportunity to cancel risk free...or....

Start the new no water nonsense 90 days from now AND grandfather in current pax already booked

Edited by luvtheships

Are you looking at buying online? That would be expensive due to the shipping costs. We can buy a 1.5L bottle loose, for 97cents and that's half a litre more and in USD, it would be 75 cents?

I don't believe you will see a 1 liter bottle of Aquafina water for .97 unless it's on sale. The cheapest sale prices I'm seeing on Google Shopping are $1.25 a bottle, or $23 for 18. NCL's price is $58.95 with the 18% gratuity. That's 2.6 times the cheapest price I can find. If I walked into a convenience store in Miami to pick up 1 L bottles of Aquafina to take on board I bet I would pay closer to the $2 mark.

I'm not comparing different sizes or brands, or sale prices. I'm trying to make the comparison fair in an apples to apples sense.

Now it may be that I would never buy Aquafina on land because it is an overpriced, premium brand of bottled water, but I can't slam NCL for "one thousand percent markup" when I'm comparing a different brand and size of water. If I went out to buy 18 liter bottles of Aquafina near the port I would probably pay just under half the amount that NCL is charging. That's quite a bit different than my initial thought that I would pay 10 times as much on board.

Now it may be that I would never buy Aquafina on land because it is an overpriced, premium brand of bottled water, but I can't slam NCL for "one thousand percent markup" when I'm comparing a different brand and size of water. If I went out to buy 18 liter bottles of Aquafina near the port I would probably pay just under half the amount that NCL is charging. That's quite a bit different than my initial thought that I would pay 10 times as much on board.

There is no excuse or reasonable explanation for the exorbitant price point NCL has set for water. Period.