Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

This is crazy. You would honestly leave a cruise line over a case of water? Sorry to say but many of the other cruise lines already have this policy in place. I think you are going to be disappointed where ever you go.

I have Not used NCL for some time now over their actions and I am not disappointed at All.

Life goes on with out them. :cool:

If you think people are leaving NCL over a case of water, you aren't seeing the big picture.

I have diverted a major portion of my cruise budget to other lines because of the numerous money grubbing tactics NCL has done since the management change.

Since I cruise six to eight times per year, I have had the opportunity to see what some of the other lines offer, and I am pleased with their terms and service as opposed to NCL.

NCL now leaves me with the feeling of "Waiting for the other shoe to drop" and I can assure you it will as long as the present management of NCL maintains the attitude that their customers are "fish" waiting to be hooked.

I also cruise many time per year, and i do see the big picture. The issue is that the changes are echoed throughout the industry from for-fee dining to drink packages to gratuity increases and are not isolated to NCL. I am fine with everyone choosing as they wish and if this is the straw that broke the camels back then I respect that, but those loyal to one brand should be aware that the other lines are not that different. The comment I responded eluded to the drink ban only, not the other previous changes.

Royal Caribbean's published policy

Q: Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard?

A:

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor, fortified wines or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use on boarding day or while in port. Alcoholic beverages seized on boarding day will not be returned.

This policy is rarely if ever enforced . Please find a direct quote of this happening lately

Carnivals published policy

Bringing Liquor and Beverages Onboard - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages onboard that are packaged in bottles.

You can bring cans, but flat water in cans is increasingly difficult to find, so essentially a ban.

Some people have had no issues bring water on, but in doing so they are violating the policy. That being said each line has the right to determine the level of enforcement they are going to exhibit.

They offer cheap water . End of story . They allow cans . End of story .

Just to add they allow a bottle of wine PP , no $15 fee . Their drink package is better and cheaper etc etc .

What other lines ban outside drinks totally? I'm looking at other lines, because of this policy among many other reasons, & I haven't run across one yet. As a matter of fact, a few let one bottle of wine per person on board, with no corkage fee.

Many do not have total bans, but that has evolved over time. RCCL did have a total ban, then allowed wine with a corkage fee, then no fee. New policies take time to evolve in what the customers will allow, and many are tweaked over time. My response was toward a comment over leaving for this ban (no other reason listed), which I feel is crazy.

I also cruise many time per year, and i do see the big picture. The issue is that the changes are echoed throughout the industry from for-fee dining to drink packages to gratuity increases and are not isolated to NCL. I am fine with everyone choosing as they wish and if this is the straw that broke the camels back then I respect that, but those loyal to one brand should be aware that the other lines are not that different. The comment I responded eluded to the drink ban only, not the other previous changes.

The other lines I have cruised THIS YEAR handle things a LOT differently.

Defend NCL's actions if you feel the need, but please be truthful in your comparisons.

This policy is rarely if ever enforced . Please find a direct quote of this happening latelyThey offer cheap water . End of story . They allow cans . End of story .

Just to add they allow a bottle of wine PP , no $15 fee . Their drink package is better and cheaper etc etc .

Choosing to enforce or not does not change the policy. This follows with dress code in the MDR, smoking on balconies, chair hogs, and many other things. It is still prohibited whether you get caught or not and whether it is enforced or not.

I saw a couple lose 2- 12 packs of Mountain Dew 3 weeks ago in Port Canaveral on Freedom of the Seas. Security simply told them it was not allowed to be brought on the ship.

Sounds like Carnival should be your new line of choice.

We have never, ever had our water or sodas taken from us when sailing RCCL or Carnival. RCCL is our favorite line and our most repetitive line and we've never been told we couldn't take our drinks on. Granted, we didn't sail Carnival this year or last year, (and never will again due to a horrible last cruise with them) but at least when they did ban bottled water being brought onboard, they lowered the price of theirs to make it reasonable.

The other lines I have cruised THIS YEAR handle things a LOT differently.

Defend NCL's actions if you feel the need, but please be truthful in your comparisons.

I am not an NCL cheerleader, I prefer RCCL any day to NCL. I simply support their right to change policies, since it is there business. I also support a consumers right to choose the product that best suits their desires. I hate when people feel they can write their own rules. My opinion (and I fully support everyone else to theirs) is that i think that most lines are not that different and it is crazy to me to switch lines over such a small item.

I am not an NCL cheerleader, I prefer RCCL any day to NCL. I simply support their right to change policies, since it is there business. I also support a consumers right to choose the product that best suits their desires. I hate when people feel they can write their own rules. My opinion (and I fully support everyone else to theirs) is that i think that most lines are not that different and it is crazy to me to switch lines over such a small item.

Nobody sez you gotta switch. Ya can JUst Say NO.

If I don't like what they are selling and how they sell it I ain't Buying.

Choosing to enforce or not does not change the policy. This follows with dress code in the MDR, smoking on balconies, chair hogs, and many other things. It is still prohibited whether you get caught or not and whether it is enforced or not.

I saw a couple lose 2- 12 packs of Mountain Dew 3 weeks ago in Port Canaveral on Freedom of the Seas. Security simply told them it was not allowed to be brought on the ship.

Sounds like Carnival should be your new line of choice.

Huh ? If they choose " to enforce or not " then of course the policy is changed .

If a bar doesn't check for ID but their policy is no minors , then hello , that is their policy .

And BTW , so it is with dress code in the MDR, smoking on balconies, chair hogs, and many other things .

I have no idea what your new line of choice should be nor do I care .

This is crazy. You would honestly leave a cruise line over a case of water? Sorry to say but many of the other cruise lines already have this policy in place. I think you are going to be disappointed where ever you go.

It's cumulative. I don't have a dog in this fight. I don't drink soda, and if I want a bottle of water, I will pay for it. However - with all of the changes, it adds up. Our next vacation is Sandals Grenada. It is more expensive, but when you add in top shelf liquor, no gratuities allowed, and 5-star dining that is all included, plus being 1000% more upscale, it actually is less money. Less for way more. We are using points for airfare, so it is a win-win for us. I'm certainly not saying we are leaving NCL, or leaving cruising, but it's the recent issues that caused us to look elsewhere. I fully understand people's frustration.

Obviously you haven't followed all the "small" changes that have taken place since FDR took over. Someone has the list of all the changes, and it's an eye opener. So..it's not just about water.

This cruise line is an absolute joke. You would be out of your mind to consider ever cruising with them. This policy is a ridiculous money grab. Take your business elsewhere and watch the policy manically change when they have empty ships.

Edited by Brad1185

THIS is RCCL's policy that I just copied/pasted from their website:

Q: Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard?

A:

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor, fortified wines or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use on boarding day or while in port. Alcoholic beverages seized on boarding day will not be returned.

Guests wishing to bring personal wine and champagne onboard may do so only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports of call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

It doesn't specifically state that water or soda can be brought onto the ship, however, if Security is going to inspect them than it stands to reason it would be at the gangway. I know for a fact that RCCL has changed their policy because in Oct. 2013 we had a case of water taken away from us on the Enchantment and by Sept. 2014 the policy had changed and is still enforce (bottled water allowed).

Also, RCCL and CCL each allow you to bring 2 bottles of wine onboard for personal consumption - no corkage fee charged (that right there is a savings of $30).

NCL used to treat its passengers as valued guests and that was the one thing that made them stand out. Now, not so much and this latest change is just further evidence of that. They have lost what goodwill they had built up with me and now if they want my business they'll have to do it by price alone.

This new policy is being implemented a week before I board the Breakaway. I don't appreciate the callousness in the way it is being implemented for those of us who have booked and are unable to cancel without substantial penalty. The high cost of water and beverages on board usually was a non factor for me when traveling with Carnival because I would bring the allowaable amounts onboard. I am only trying NCL as an alternative to Carnival but am already regretting my choice to do so and would find a Carnival alternative to my cruise with NCL if it was feasible to do so. It"s not necessarily the policy change it is not knowing that the policy would change when I booked in October of 2015. To me and my family it is not being able to opt out at this point as our cruise is too close to do so. A total buzz kill!

Corkage is an industry standard. It is done all the time in the restaurant business. $15 as it goes is cheap for a 750ml. As a collector of fine wine, I gladly pay corkage on cruises as well as restaurants to drink my wine.

I am in favor of the ban. I believe it will curb illegal booze, and minimize people getting sick, which happens far too often on NCL. Their cruise fares are low with the hopes of making up money on people's bar tab.

Its great all that booze the slobs on the UBP are guzzling down doesn't make people sick, no wonder why NCL charges for the UBP gratuities to cover the cost of the non sickening booze!

God, do you people really believe what you write?

This is money grabbing by NCL, not security, not long lines, but GREED plain and simple

Edited by bjlaac

This cruise line is an absolute joke. You would be out of your mind to consider ever cruising with them. This policy is a ridiculous money grab. Take your business elsewhere and watch the policy manically change when they have empty ships.

It's actually a really good cruise line. The service is outstanding, the entertainment is great, and the food is pretty good. I get the frustration, but the ships will not sail empty, and the cruise line will not go bankrupt. They have a good product, no matter how annoyed people are right now.

THIS is RCCL's policy that I just copied/pasted from their website:

A:

Guests wishing to bring personal wine and champagne onboard may do so only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports of call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

It doesn't specifically state that water or soda can be brought onto the ship, however, if Security is going to inspect them than it stands to reason it would be at the gangway. I know for a fact that RCCL has changed their policy because in Oct. 2013 we had a case of water taken away from us on the Enchantment and by Sept. 2014 the policy had changed and is still enforce (bottled water allowed).

Also, RCCL and CCL each allow you to bring 2 bottles of wine onboard for personal consumption - no corkage fee charged (that right there is a savings of $30).

Thanks for posting this.

NCL used to treat its passengers as valued guests and that was the one thing that made them stand out. Now, not so much and this latest change is just further evidence of that. They have lost what goodwill they had built up with me and now if they want my business they'll have to do it by price alone.

BINGO !!!! I will go one step further and will curtail my onboard spending if I do find a bargain price on an NCL ship.

It's actually a really good cruise line. The service is outstanding, the entertainment is great, and the food is pretty good. I get the frustration, but the ships will not sail empty, and the cruise line will not go bankrupt. They have a good product, no matter how annoyed people are right now.

Bingo

Have you looked at their basic financials lately ?? The debt equity ratio is pretty scary.

Maybe Sheehan shouldn't have ordered all those ships...

Well, this new policy won't get them an additional dollar from me, so they'll have to try something else.