Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

This is neither here nor there but on a recent cruise with Princess I pre-ordered water, I think 2 12paks were something like $13usd and it was nice having them in the cabin when we arrived.

Doesn't NCL not offer something similar?

Yes, but at a substantially higher price ($73 plus 18% service charge -- and I'm not sure if that's 24 1-liter bottles or 12).

This is neither here nor there but on a recent cruise with Princess I pre-ordered water, I think 2 12paks were something like $13usd and it was nice having them in the cabin when we arrived.

Doesn't NCL not offer something similar?

Yes - for approximately six times that price. That's what people are upset about.

I got a phone call from NCL today in response to my email to the VP. The person was polite and friendly and answered my questions about the quality of the water. He also let me know that they are looking into the price of the bottled water but that no decision had been made yet.

Regardless of whether they change the policy or the price in the end, I appreciated the personal response. I certainly encourage other people to write to senior people about this if they feel strongly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Glad to hear you got a call. I'm betting

your professional email was one of the reason why you received a call back.

OK.... I'll bite. What kind of bottled water do you require? It never occurred to me that some bottled waters are undrinkable to some. Not trying to be rude, but I just didn't know if there's a difference between good old Ice Mountain / Poland Spring / Arrowhead or distilled water or Evian or Fiji or whatnot in terms of health reasons.

I don't think you're being rude at all. :)

Yes, actually there are some differences in bottled water. I can only drink Nestle Pure Life. My doctor can explain it way better than I can, but it has to do with the extra additives that are added to a lot of the bottled waters. I can't drink ship water either. I try to drink it on every cruise line I sail, but I swell up like the Michelin man and according to my doctor, it's the sodium in it.

But most passengers do bring back their daily unused drinks on the ship after visiting a port. That is where **** will hit the fan if you ask me. You'll start to see angry passengers refusing to give up the bottles of water they were saving for the next port.

I'm sure there will be plenty of notifications onboard. In the dailies and signs at the gangways as passengers get off to visit ports. They will know they can't being beverages back.

There will always be the ones who don't pay attention. Like the ones who miss the ship at ports.

I'm sure there will be plenty of notifications onboard. In the dailies and signs at the gangways as passengers get off to visit ports. They will know they can't being beverages back.

There will always be the ones who don't pay attention. Like the ones who miss the ship at ports.

has anyone found out if this policy applies to the crew?

Who cares? What difference does it make?

And it likely does not.

Well I would hope it applies to the crew

Btw didn't Ncl say it was a security issue as to why they weren't allowing water any longer?

I'm surprised you would think a security issue would only apply to pax and not crew

Also ....what difference does it make?

Really?

Edited by luvtheships

I'm not sure "I couldn't bring water onboard" would be considered a service issue, which is why you can adjust the DSC. You were told ahead of time - it's on the FAQ on their website, people are getting emails - so it's not a service issue.

I'm pretty sure that's the criteria.

Nope you can reduce...remove...or even increase dsc...for any reason you want

The crew have been thoroughly vetted security wise so they aren't quite the security risk on the surface unknown (to an extent) patrons are.

OTOH, crew have access to a lot more vulnerable and target rich areas so if anyone might be a threat to endanger the ship.

So if the rules don't apply across the board then it's surely not a safety precaution.

Edited by Hunwolf

The crew have been thoroughly vetted security wise so they aren't quite the security risk on the surface unknown (to an extent) patrons are.

OTOH, crew have access to a lot more vulnerable and target rich areas so if anyone might be a threat to endanger the ship.

So if the rules don't apply across the board then it's surely not a safety precaution.

Agreed

You're kidding, right???? I can go to my local baseball stadium and be charged $6 for a crappy cup of beer. Is that ever on the news?

You either pay it or you don't. They are providing free water which is incredibly pure. At the baseball stadium, I can't bring in any type of bottle - empty or not. If I want the free water, I have to find a drinking fountain and hope it works.

20 oz Aquafina is $3.25, liter Aquafina is $5.50. (As of June 2016).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Assuming that pricing is correct, 12 of those 1 liter Aquafinas will cost $66.00. NCL allows you to have a 12 pack of 1 liters delivered to your stateroom for $47.14...including the 18% service charge. Much better value than buying them at the bar.

20 oz Aquafina is $3.25, liter Aquafina is $5.50. (As of June 2016).

Plus, for one's convenience - either add-on 18% restocking fees if taken from stateroom's mini-bar. Or, 18% service charge from the bar. Tipping for your server is strictly optional for exceptional services, on top of it all.

"Security surcharge, administrative and environmental fees" for beverages might just be next over the horizon :eek: - never say "never" with NCL is the Takeway motto under this regime.

Pre-order in bulk - the sales pitch, and you save as much as 30% to 55% off the onboard prices. :rolleyes:

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13439131_10154386345339617_652782598893398588_n.jpg?oh=b25aaceb69dbbd6460669671ca0f1c05&oe=57E9013E

Edited by mking8288

You're kidding, right???? I can go to my local baseball stadium and be charged $6 for a crappy cup of beer. Is that ever on the news?

You either pay it or you don't. They are providing free water which is incredibly pure. At the baseball stadium, I can't bring in any type of bottle - empty or not. If I want the free water, I have to find a drinking fountain and hope it works.

My Texas Rangers allow plastic bottles of water and coolers with healthy snacks.

Across the street at Jerryworld no way. I tried same. Poured out my Ozarka. They took away my empty bottle too.

I've been saying this all along.

If Celebrity can include water in the package why can't NCL without raising the price?

Celebrity's package is $10+ cheaper' date=' they include the gratuities, plus top shelf premium liquors, specialty coffees, juices,[b'] unlimited amounts of bottled water.[/b]

I don't expect NCL to just add coffees, bottled water and canned soda without raising the price that consumers pay oop even if taken as a perk. I'm ok with that. I just don't want to be given something that says its ultimate when it's a very substandard product. Charge me more but at least include these things so that I don't look at the perk as a joke. Let's be honest. The UBP if purchased oop would benefit very few at this point. Since it's already priced so high that very few purchase oop why not just go higher and include these drinks. At least they get away from the nickel and dime label that people can't stand.

It made Fox News, which correctly called NCL out for the lie that this "brings it in line with what its competitors are doing:"

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/07/05/norwegian-cruise-line-bans-almost-all-carry-on-beverages.html

However, the report is flawed since you can't bring beer on now (which is stated) and there are other drinks besides tap water that are included in the fare.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Crazy rule, you can't bring any water but wine is ok. For real I don't drink alcohol I just want to bring my own water. I rarely sail with NCL but this decision will move us back.

It's no mystery.

They can monetize your bottle of wine with zero cost to them. It's a no brainer.

I just don't want to be given something that says its ultimate when it's a very substandard product. Since it's already priced so high that very few purchase oop why not just go higher and include these drinks. At least they get away from the nickel and dime label that people can't stand.
Spending more just to have water is hard to swallow.

How you spend your money is up to you, I have better uses for my money.

I would like them to include it in the BP.

I'm not prepared to spend more on a package just to get water and I am sure other cruisers would agree.

Ok...

Princess

12 pk 16.9 oz @ $3.90: 202.8 oz, $0.0192 per oz.

NCL

24 pk x 33.8 oz @ $ 70.74: 811.2 oz, $0.0872 per oz.

Just to expand on this into terms people can more easily relate to.

Princess, Bottled water:

$2.45 / gallon

Norwegian, Bottled water:

$11.16 / gallon

Now, I don't know where you shop for gas, but...one of these things is not like the other.

ncl-water-price-sign.jpg

Edited by triptolemus

Just to expand on this into terms people can more easily relate to.

Princess, Bottled water:

$2.45 / gallon

Norwegian, Bottled water:

$11.16 / gallon

Now, I don't know where you shop for gas, but...one of these things is not like the other.

ncl-water-price-sign.jpg

Princess beverage package $49/day plus 15% gratuity ($56.35/day)

Includes ALL bottled water products sold aboard AND speciality coffee / tea

NCL beverage package $79/day plus 18% gratuity ($93.22/day)

EXCLUDES all bottled water products and speciality coffee / tea

Fo a 7 day cruise NCL beverage package would cost $258.09 per person more than Princess :eek: and is far less inclusive! And Princess' drink prices are SIGNIFICANTLY less than NCL's to begin with.......

I know that many will argue that Princess is more expensive than NCL but I have seen many a good fare with Princess this year that even factoring in NCL's "free" drinks promo makes Princess competitive, or slightly less than NCL even if you buy the Princess drinks package.