MSC Dubai Cruises

Darcy15

Hi

I am booked on Fantasia next January for a UAE and Oman cruise

First time with MSC, have treated myself to Yacht Club :D

I have a few questions if that's ok

I arrive in Dubai around 7am - flights and transfers arranged through MSC - what time would I expect to be on the ship?

The ship departs at 11pm. Is it possible to leave the ship after embarking and see something of Dubai? I understand the need to be onboard for muster, what time might that be?

I would like to see the fountain show at the Dubai Mall. What would be the easiest and safest way to do this from the cruise port? I am a solo female, and much as I have done a lot of travelling this is my first time in this particular part of the world and admit to feeling slightly concerned about being alone.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Suron may be along soon and can tell you about embarkation as she's done this cruise before. Because this cruise overnights in Dubai you may find that you can get on pretty early. On other cruises we have been able to embark then leave for some sightseeing especially because sail away is so late. I think Suzanne said muster was after 10pm because she travels with her grandchildren and commented how tired they were. I'd have no hesitation jumping in a taxi to head for the Dubai mall which is where you'll find the fountains but if you're apprehensive try and buddy up with someone from your role call?

Enjoy and please report back EVERYTHING as we are doing a similar cruise in March but a slightly different itinerary xx

Have a wonderful cruise - I hope you enjoy the Yacht Club...... IMHO it's an amazing experience.

I'd hoped to do YC on Fantasia from Dubai but I'm solidly booked so will have to pass it up. It's the only YC out of the four Fantasia class ships that I haven't done yet. It's a great itinerary ........... best wishes for a wonderful cruise!

Have a wonderful cruise - I hope you enjoy the Yacht Club...... IMHO it's an amazing experience.

I'd hoped to do YC on Fantasia from Dubai but I'm solidly booked so will have to pass it up. It's the only YC out of the four Fantasia class ships that I haven't done yet. It's a great itinerary ........... best wishes for a wonderful cruise!

Thank you :)

I did thus cruise last year and got to the ship at around 6.30 am and cabins were ready by around 10. Once you have your cruise card there is nothing stopping you getting off again. Muster was very late at night . Going in December again too

I did thus cruise last year and got to the ship at around 6.30 am and cabins were ready by around 10. Once you have your cruise card there is nothing stopping you getting off again. Muster was very late at night . Going in December again too

Thanks very much :)

Did you enjoy the cruise?

We did a similar cruise last January on Musica, we actually embarked in Abu Dhabi but again landed ay 7am and were taken straight to the ship for breakfast, cabin was ready around 10am.

Muster for the people who got on in Dubai was immediately before second dinner sitting (9pm). I remember this as we didn't have to attend but were waiting for the dining room to clear from Muster before we could go to dinner!

We loved the cruise, we'd done a similar one previously on Costa and have also done land based holidays in the UAE. Although I've never travelled there on my own I've always felt very safe.

A line of taxis are available day and night at the cruise terminal, all taxis are clearly marked and metered and journeys are fairly cheap. There is a supplement from the cruise terminal but all taxis have a notice inside (in English) that explains the tariffs and says meters must be used. If the driver doesn't follow this (happened to us on previous cruise), point to the sign and say you will report them, they soon change their tune!

There are taxi ranks at all the malls so easy to get back.

Julie

We did a similar cruise last January on Musica, we actually embarked in Abu Dhabi but again landed ay 7am and were taken straight to the ship for breakfast, cabin was ready around 10am.

Muster for the people who got on in Dubai was immediately before second dinner sitting (9pm). I remember this as we didn't have to attend but were waiting for the dining room to clear from Muster before we could go to dinner!

We loved the cruise, we'd done a similar one previously on Costa and have also done land based holidays in the UAE. Although I've never travelled there on my own I've always felt very safe.

A line of taxis are available day and night at the cruise terminal, all taxis are clearly marked and metered and journeys are fairly cheap. There is a supplement from the cruise terminal but all taxis have a notice inside (in English) that explains the tariffs and says meters must be used. If the driver doesn't follow this (happened to us on previous cruise), point to the sign and say you will report them, they soon change their tune!

There are taxi ranks at all the malls so easy to get back.

Julie

Thanks so much Julie :)

Are there any issues being a lone female in a taxi?

....not safety as such, just don't want to offend any local customs :o

I think you'll be OK in a taxi, just make sure you are dressed respectably whenever you are out and about, Western clothes are fine, but no bare shoulders, low cut tops and make sure skirts or long shorts are at least to the knees. You only need to be fully covered to visit religious sights.

Most taxi drivers are not locals but expats from places like India or the Phillippines and they usually speak good English.

Everyone we've ever met while out and about has been pleasant and helpful, tourism is very important to them.

Julie

If you are worried about personal safety in a taxi in Dubai try the "Pink Taxi".

These taxis feature a pink roof and are exclusively driven by females for females/families.

Call 04 2080808 to book a pink taxi.

see http://www.dubaitaxi.ae/en/pages/LadiesAndFamiliesTaxi.aspx for details

Edited by AVACTION
additional information

Pink Taxi is pretty cool.

If I were to do an itinerary in that part of the world, I would probably only do group excursions through the cruise ship for safety reasons. I don't mind paying a bit more for piece of mind and traveling in groups is always safer than traveling alone, especially in that part of the world.

I just did the eastern med. and since we were only women in my travel group, I also only did ship sponsored excursions in group settings. I was very satisfied with their options.

The other option, as someone else suggested is try to find someone on your roll call that would be interested....I wouldn't do it completely alone...but that's just me.

If I were to do an itinerary in that part of the world, I would probably only do group excursions through the cruise ship for safety reasons. I don't mind paying a bit more for piece of mind and traveling in groups is always safer than traveling alone, especially in that part of the world.

I just did the eastern med. and since we were only women in my travel group, I also only did ship sponsored excursions in group settings. I was very satisfied with their options.

The other option, as someone else suggested is try to find someone on your roll call that would be interested....I wouldn't do it completely alone...but that's just me.

I have booked ships excursions only - and always do, whatever the destination might be :)

The taxi question only involves embarkation day when there is a lot of spare time before the ship sails - and I would like to see the fountain show :D

I have booked ships excursions only - and always do, whatever the destination might be :)

The taxi question only involves embarkation day when there is a lot of spare time before the ship sails - and I would like to see the fountain show :D

Ah ok....I guess I misunderstood then....safe travels! :)

Hi

I am booked on Fantasia next January for a UAE and Oman cruise

First time with MSC, have treated myself to Yacht Club :D

I have a few questions if that's ok

I arrive in Dubai around 7am - flights and transfers arranged through MSC - what time would I expect to be on the ship?

The ship departs at 11pm. Is it possible to leave the ship after embarking and see something of Dubai? I understand the need to be onboard for muster, what time might that be?

I would like to see the fountain show at the Dubai Mall. What would be the easiest and safest way to do this from the cruise port? I am a solo female, and much as I have done a lot of travelling this is my first time in this particular part of the world and admit to feeling slightly concerned about being alone.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

You are lucky that I'm in Dubai right now visit in son and his family who are based here. As Jo say I have done the cruise from Dubai around the Emirates before (twice with MSC and once with RCI)

We are booked on Fantasia for Dec 17th from Dubai and the ship is scheduled to sail at 11.30 pm - the same at last year on Orchestra. We were able to board the ship late a.m and life boat drill did not take place until after sailing, it was compulsory for all to attend (Twin grandsons were so tired but perked up by the end of the drill and the did not want to go back to the cabin!!)

If you are docked overnight in Dubai on the return then you could plan some sightseeing but if time allows I personally would spend time pre and post cruise to take advantage of all the lovely sights.

If you plan to visit the Burj Khalifa then book this on line (At The Top is the website). It is cheaper to book in advance and will ensure you get a slot - turning up and taking a chance on the day will often lead to disappointment as you may not get a slot.

As for getting around Dubai I would recommend taxis which are so reasonable. If it makes you feel safer then go for the Pink Lady Taxis but I have travelled a lot from place to place during my visits to Dubai and have never felt threatened even when arriving on a flight at 3 a.m!

Mall of the Emirates - here you can see Ski Resort

Dubai Mall - Dancing Fountains, Burj Kalifa, Aquarium, Ice Rink

Gold Souk - very interesting for jewellery bargains

In fact all the malls are awesome

I will try and post again if I can find the link for you - do not have such info to hand here in Dubai at the moment

You will I feel sure love the UAE. Good luck with your plans

Suzanne

Suron may be along soon and can tell you about embarkation as she's done this cruise before. Because this cruise overnights in Dubai you may find that you can get on pretty early. On other cruises we have been able to embark then leave for some sightseeing especially because sail away is so late. I think Suzanne said muster was after 10pm because she travels with her grandchildren and commented how tired they were. I'd have no hesitation jumping in a taxi to head for the Dubai mall which is where you'll find the fountains but if you're apprehensive try and buddy up with someone from your role call?

Enjoy and please report back EVERYTHING as we are doing a similar cruise in March but a slightly different itinerary xx

Hi Jo!

Suzanne here. I am in Dubai at present - unexpected visit but although it is great to be with the family it is so hot - 45C yesterday. Had a lovely four days at The Atlantis on the Palm fabulous executive suite - really spoilt.

Have tried to give some information to the poster.

Would you believe we have just booked for JULY 2018 on the new ship Seaview. Got Super Family Plus - three adjoining cabins. Price based on the three cabins which can accommodate 10 not per person

Hope all is going OK for your plans

Suzanne

Edited by suron

Thank you so much for all the advice Suzanne - very much appreciated :D

I would love to spend some time in Dubai pre and post cruise, but unfortunately I work full time and just don't have any annual leave left

......just about managed to cobble together the time for the cruise :rolleyes:

The MSC Fantasia is a lovely ship and my favourite so far in the MSC fleet. The interior of the ship make a wonderful atmosphere and the YC is great in all aspects. It's a luxury enclave which combines all the offers of a megaship. The service is warm and personal from the point you meet up in the terminal to the disembarkation. The itinerary out of Dubai is also very interesting. YC and this itinerary, perfect match :)We did a cruise out of Dubai some years ago on RCI.

Here are some videos I made in the YC of MSC Fantasia, enjoy your cruise :)

The One Pool Deck :

[YOUTUBE]46Y-OMqi3vE[/YOUTUBE]

The Top Sail Lounge with fantastic views:

[YOUTUBE]sVVAFHRTP3g[/YOUTUBE]

Yacht Club Deluxe Cabin ( YC1 ):

[YOUTUBE]Od5VQ1jJADE[/YOUTUBE]

The Dubai fountains:

[YOUTUBE]g7jZloln_7k[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Norwegian Cruiser 73

I think I would fancy my chances in a terrorist attack on tourists if I was a solo traveller rather than part of a group. That is one occasion were safety is not in numbers. In fact a bus load of tourists on tour are sitting ducks.

Quite clearly you have never been to 'that part of the world'. UAE and Oman are amazing destinations and I certainly would feel safer there than in any part of the USA.