MSC Dubai Cruises

Darcy15

Another question re visas!

I have read MSC's FAQ's about Embarkation United Arab Emirates (Dubai/Abu Dhabi):

The following notes refer to cruises to, from or within the UAE, and transiting Oman. All passports must be valid for at least 6 months on arrival for stays of up to three months.

The above is clear, but then it gets confusing. The next statement appears to be contradictory.

Guests holding passports of the following countries do not need a Visa prior to the arrival to Dubai/Abu Dhabi or to the United Arab Emirates. Europe: France, Italy, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Portugal, Ireland, Greece, Finland, Spain, Monaco, Vatican City, Iceland, Andorra, San Marino, Liechtenstein, United Kingdom

But then it says:

Visa procedures related to cruises embarking/disembarking in Dubai/Abu Dhabi or any other port in the UAE: All Guests arriving by air in Dubai/Abu Dhabi or any other airport in the UAE to embark or participate in a pre-cruise hotel program prior to joining the ship should produce a valid Visa while checking-in in their home countries. Airlines will deny boarding to passengers who are not in possession of a valid UAE Visa.

Is the above only for those staying in a hotel prior to boarding, or does it relate to those from a country not listed above that don't need a visa prior to arriving in Dubai?:confused:

I'll watch this thread because we are 2 nights in Dubai before joining the cruise. We stayed in Dubai for 2 days on the way back from Australia last year and it was just visa on arrival but that may have been because it was classed as a stop over I'm not sure?

Liverpool Jo xx

Thanks Jo, but I don't have a Nationwide account so would incur charges if I withdrew money abroad. I assume credit cards are widely used though aren't they?

Sometimes sterling and change over there is best, we do that in Kuala Lumpur but not Singapore as the rate is worse in Singapore, maybe Suzanne can tell us what she does as she goes to Dubai frequently?

Liverpool Jo

We've been to UAE several times and never needed a visa, I think its referring to people from countries that require a visa for UAE (IE.those not on the list).

We always take dirhams, we've never got any rial for Oman. We've only spent small amounts, in the souk, for a drink etc and they have taken euros. Not sure if taxis would do this too. For large items use a credit card.

In the UAE there are always currency exchange booths in shopping centres, I've checked before and the rate is usually a bit better than I get in M and S at home. You could probably get rials there too if you have time.

Julie

We've been to UAE several times and never needed a visa, I think its referring to people from countries that require a visa for UAE (IE.those not on the list).

We always take dirhams, we've never got any rial for Oman. We've only spent small amounts, in the souk, for a drink etc and they have taken euros. Not sure if taxis would do this too. For large items use a credit card.

In the UAE there are always currency exchange booths in shopping centres, I've checked before and the rate is usually a bit better than I get in M and S at home. You could probably get rials there too if you have time.

Julie

Thanks Julie, that's what I thought about the visas. Good advice about currency too, thanks

Sometimes sterling and change over there is best, we do that in Kuala Lumpur but not Singapore as the rate is worse in Singapore, maybe Suzanne can tell us what she does as she goes to Dubai frequently?

Liverpool Jo

Hi There! My visits to my son and his family who are based in Dubai are usually for a month. On entry to the UAE at Dubai Airport your passport is stamped with a visa valid for 30 days from the day you enter.

I always tend to take enough Dirhams for the majority of my stay (unfortunately the exchange rate has plummeted recently though). Credit cards are accepted almost everywhere and in Oman they are happy to accept Dirhams, US Dollars and even Euros.

I have both a Santander Zero Credit Card and an HSBC one and these do not make conversion charges and I can withdraw cash without penalty.

Hope this helps

Suzanne

Hi There! My visits to my son and his family who are based in Dubai are usually for a month. On entry to the UAE at Dubai Airport your passport is stamped with a visa valid for 30 days from the day you enter.

I always tend to take enough Dirhams for the majority of my stay (unfortunately the exchange rate has plummeted recently though). Credit cards are accepted almost everywhere and in Oman they are happy to accept Dirhams, US Dollars and even Euros.

I have both a Santander Zero Credit Card and an HSBC one and these do not make conversion charges and I can withdraw cash without penalty.

Hope this helps

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne, many thanks for your feedback. much appreciated. I assumed the visa section was for those not from the countries which are eligible for visa upon arrival.

Hi Pete. Thanks for highlighting the visa issue. While EU citizens do not need to pre-arrange a visa, we must have 6 months remaining on our passports on date of arrival! This means we will need to renew ours 5 months before we travel. Good to know! Ken

Hi Ken ................ isn't it a pain that you have to renew your passports before their expiry date. It means they're effectively only valid for 9.5 years at most and not the 10 that you pay for :mad: DH had to renew his last December for a trip to Asia although it had another 7 months on it!

Hi Ken ................ isn't it a pain that you have to renew your passports before their expiry date. It means they're effectively only valid for 9.5 years at most and not the 10 that you pay for :mad: DH had to renew his last December for a trip to Asia although it had another 7 months on it!
I have just renewed mine and when you renew a UK passport the Passport Office will add up to 9 months onto the expiry date.

I needed to renew mine for a cruise in October 2016 as mine was due to expire in March 2017, so there would only be 5 months validity as we sail.

It took only 8 business days for my renewal to be processed and I now have a passport that was issued on 28th July 2016 but expires in March 2027, 10 years and 8 months from date of issue.

For our Dubai cruise in March 2017 my partner will have to renew once we return from the October cruise as there will only then be 2 months validity when we sail in March 2017 so needs to be done before we sail.

I have just renewed mine and when you renew a UK passport the Passport Office will add up to 9 months onto the expiry date.

I needed to renew mine for a cruise in October 2016 as mine was due to expire in March 2017, so there would only be 5 months validity as we sail.

It took only 8 business days for my renewal to be processed and I now have a passport that was issued on 28th July 2016 but expires in March 2027, 10 years and 8 months from date of issue.

For our Dubai cruise in March 2017 my partner will have to renew once we return from the October cruise as there will only then be 2 months validity when we sail in March 2017 so needs to be done before we sail.

That's really decent of the UK Passport Office, Pete.

Losing 7 months on DH's old (Irish) passport left a feeling of being ripped off. Having any 'lost' months added to a new passport would make a lot of sense - after all, they've been paid for. Otherwise it's not really a 10 year passport at all, which is ridiculous. I mean, who renews their passport months before expiry except when needing that 6 months validity in place - unless you're ultra scared that the passport office will be crazy busy at the time of renewal. We have an express system through the post office which guarantees you will receive your passport within 10 working days so there's no real reason why you'd apply more than a month out.

Sure is Bea! I've emailed PPO to ask if there is any consideration for early renewal but l think you would have said if your hub's passport had been extended.

I've emailed PPO to ask if there is any consideration for early renewal but l think you would have said if your hub's passport had been extended.

No extension, Ken, just the bare 10 years! Isn't it interesting that they'll add the extra in the UK?

Can anyone recommend a medium price hotel in Dubai which offers a shuttle bus to the cruise port.

We will be staying two nights in Dubai pre-cruise and I am just overwhelmed with the sheer number of hotels to choose from.:confused:

We are a couple in their early sixties and will have a lot of luggage so would prefer a hotel with a shuttle bus to the port, a swimming pool and a bar but no noisy nightclub.

Thanks in advance for any useful advice.

Can anyone recommend a medium price hotel in Dubai which offers a shuttle bus to the cruise port.

We will be staying two nights in Dubai pre-cruise and I am just overwhelmed with the sheer number of hotels to choose from.:confused:

We are a couple in their early sixties and will have a lot of luggage so would prefer a hotel with a shuttle bus to the port, a swimming pool and a bar but no noisy nightclub.

There are a whole price range of hotels but even though I make very few reservations for Dubai, I'll take a look. It will depend on your budget.

I do know that taxis are relatively inexpensive in Dubai so even if there isn't a shuttle, it won't cost too much to get to the port.

There are a whole price range of hotels but even though I make very few reservations for Dubai, I'll take a look. It will depend on your budget.

I do know that taxis are relatively inexpensive in Dubai so even if there isn't a shuttle, it won't cost too much to get to the port.

Fortunately we are using frequent flyer point to fly business class with Emirates form Australia to Dubai. Thus we will have four large cases + two "carry-ons" and other stuff. So most taxis will not be able to carry us and our luggage.

Our budget is around $150 to $200 per night for a 'decent" hotel.

Fortunately we are using frequent flyer point to fly business class with Emirates form Australia to Dubai. Thus we will have four large cases + two "carry-ons" and other stuff. So most taxis will not be able to carry us and our luggage.

Our budget is around $150 to $200 per night for a 'decent" hotel.

Obviously it all depends on your travel dates, but there are a great many hotels to choose from. I can see hotels that offer shuttles from/to the airport but not the cruise port.

The Hyatt Regency is pretty typical of the mainstream chain hotels in Dubai with rates around AED 630 per night (approx AUD225, USD 176.00. GBP 130.00).

Although you have 4 large bags, I'm sure there are taxis that can accommodate you. Example prices for a one-way transfer from the airport for 2 people with 4 medium bags is around AUD 25.00

Are there laundries on Msc ships? Self serve or not?

Tia

There are no self-serve laundries on MSC ships. There is, however, a laundry service. You can avail of a package - 20 items for €30 over the course of the cruise.

Easy solution - stick to one case each and use the laundry if you have too :/

Yep that would be a solution. Only one of the cases is for me. It's an 18 night cruise and horror of horrors if my dear wife had to wear the same outfit more than one night!:)

On our last cruise we had a mini bus from Sao Paulo to Santos all to ourselves (and our luggage)IMG_0010_zpsbmkb3r07.jpgIMG_0011_zpsuzojx0vj.jpg

Yes we use the laundry service and have a discount of 30% on this cruise, so I am taken care of.

Ive stayed in different hotels all of the place and I've never noticed shuttle services to the port from them. They have shuttles to the beach from city centre hotels, shuttles to the Malls from beach hotels and the port but not to the port.

Honestly just get a normal taxi, they are heavily regulated, reliable, plentiful and really, really cheap (no tax on fuel).

Dubai Creek is a lovely area to stay before a cruise. Short ride from the airport and to the port. I stayed in the Hilton and was happy with it. A healer alternative would be the Arabian Courtyard beside Dubai Museum and near the Abra station.

Ive stayed in different hotels all of the place and I've never noticed shuttle services to the port from them. They have shuttles to the beach from city centre hotels, shuttles to the Malls from beach hotels and the port but not to the port.

Honestly just get a normal taxi, they are heavily regulated, reliable, plentiful and really, really cheap (no tax on fuel).

Dubai Creek is a lovely area to stay before a cruise. Short ride from the airport and to the port. I stayed in the Hilton and was happy with it. A healer alternative would be the Arabian Courtyard beside Dubai Museum and near the Abra station.

Thanks for the advice. Just booked the Hilton, got a great deal as I am an HHonors member.

• 11 months later...

Its good to know that females who went solo, felt safe. I am a solo cruiser as well, and would like to book a Dubai cruise. I see that MSC has one from Dubai as well as Abu Dhabi, so now I just need to decide where would be best to embark from. Either way, I would like to stay a few days in one of the cities either before or after a cruise.

you welcome Ken, you will have a fab time. Are you flying direct from Dublin with Emirates?

We've just been looking at this itinerary, do MSC offer flights from Dublin? One date suggested they do but nothing showing for any others on the Website. Getting to Dubai from Ireland is looking challenging to say the least!