MSC Dubai Cruises

Darcy15

Thank you so much for all the advice Suzanne - very much appreciated :D

I would love to spend some time in Dubai pre and post cruise, but unfortunately I work full time and just don't have any annual leave left

......just about managed to cobble together the time for the cruise :rolleyes:

If you want a day in DXB precruise, I would suggest the DXB Mall area but I would also include the Burj Khalifa Tower only because it is the World's tallest building - book your tickets on line though as walk up tickets are prohibitively expensive i.e 25€ versus €125 - something in that order.

We cruised that area with Costa - see link

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=266&t=9610

I think I would fancy my chances in a terrorist attack on tourists if I was a solo traveller rather than part of a group. That is one occasion were safety is not in numbers. In fact a bus load of tourists on tour are sitting ducks.

Quite clearly you have never been to 'that part of the world'. UAE and Oman are amazing destinations and I certainly would feel safer there than in any part of the USA.

I wasn't talking about a terrorist attack, as what you stated is the obvious.

I was talking about possible crimes like pick pocketing, assault, etc. As a single woman wandering around alone in a foreign city, one can't be too careful. Quite clearly, you're not a woman who practices safe travel.

If you want a day in DXB precruise, I would suggest the DXB Mall area but I would also include the Burj Khalifa Tower only because it is the World's tallest building - book your tickets on line though as walk up tickets are prohibitively expensive i.e 25€ versus €125 - something in that order.

We cruised that area with Costa - see link

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=266&t=9610

Enjoyed reading your review, thank you :)

I was talking about possible crimes like pick pocketing, assault, etc. As a single woman wandering around alone in a foreign city, one can't be too careful. Quite clearly, you're not a woman who practices safe travel.

But if you are in a group you are in a group so are a prime target for a terrorist attack so the difference is academic.

You are quite correct, I am not a woman who practices safe travel, I am man that does and with three small kids in tow - and one place where I would be most particularly attentive is not the middle East but the USA - recent events in Orlando and Dallas make the risk of travelling there at the moment too high, I therefore find it most of odd when US citizens go on high alert when talking about travelling abroad when all of this is happening on their own patch.

TBH, I'd prefer to be pickpocketed 1000 times than to even witness a bullet spraying attack. Then again risk is all about perception.

I also take it you have never travelled in the Middle East / North Africa.

Enjoyed reading your review, thank you :)

You welcome! This was my second visit to UAE and first to Oman. I have been to the Middle East / North Africa several times and no hassle. Actually the only hassle I have ever come across arising from travel there is trying to get into the US subsequently!!!

I was in Jordan in 2007 and went to Alaska on honeymoon in 2008. The Jordanians were most welcoming whereas the US border police were obnoxious! Odd thing with all their 'border protection' terrorists still get through!

Well I'm female and travel widely solo with a disability and agree with TomVet. I've never felt safer anywhere, including home, than I do in the UAE. You clearly have no experience of this part of the World. Crime is practically non existent there. You'd be so much safer there than at home. There is absolutely no need to use tours for safety. Taxis are plentiful, cheap, regulated and safe.

You clearly have no experience of this part of the World. Crime is practically non existent there..

No, I have no desire to visit a place where child brides and honor killings are culturally acceptable.

TomVet, your post made me laugh.

No, I have no desire to visit a place where child brides and honor killings are culturally acceptable.

TomVet, your post made me laugh.

I'm an delighted to read that I have been a source of merriment.

Oh dear - we are showing how little we know, we are talking about UAE and Oman here - not Pakistan, Iran, Afghanistan and Syria - not sure if I have ever seen a cruise call to any of these places. Well definitely not Afghanistan as it is landlocked - I am sure you knew that :p .

I feel exactly the same about visiting a country where there seems to be no regulation on gun control and where visiting a bar, taking your kids to school or visiting the Police Station which are taken for granted here are now an extremely hazardous activity in the US.

The subject is about personal safety. Clearly an honour killing is not something the average cruiser would face. However, terrorism is a reality and a terrorist attack is best avoided if not congregated in large numbers - therefore visit the sites as a solo after the tour buses have departed. I certainly felt safer in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Muscat than I would in Dublin, Paris, London or any US / Canadian city.

I think you need to get out a bit more or at least buy an Atlas! There is a whole world outside the borders of the great U.S. of A!

Neither do I. Thought we were talking about UAE and OMan though?

To the OP and those with a cruise booked in this region. It is a wonderful place where manners and civility are very prevalent, crime almost non existent and some wonderful things to see and do. The only there at is to your credit card balance! Have a wonderful time.

To the OP and those with a cruise booked in this region. It is a wonderful place where manners and civility are very prevalent, crime almost non existent and some wonderful things to see and do. The only there at is to your credit card balance! Have a wonderful time.

Thank you :)

I'm sad that my happy holiday thread is being turned into a bit of a political debate - never, ever my intent :(

Thank you :)

I'm sad that my happy holiday thread is being turned into a bit of a political debate - never, ever my intent :(

I am sure it was not but sometimes people post far from reality without having the facts and these must be rebutted for the benefit of (a) other travellers and (b) the destination.

THe mere mentioning of honour killings mandated a rebuttal.

You will have a fab time in DXB et al.

Tom, your review is excellent and has given me much food for thought in relation to our upcoming Dubai cruise. Thanks, Ken.

you welcome Ken, you will have a fab time. Are you flying direct from Dublin with Emirates?

you welcome Ken, you will have a fab time. Are you flying direct from Dublin with Emirates?

Yes. Arriving in Dubai about 7am. We flew Emirates to Dubai many years ago so hoping it's still an enjoyable experience. We will not take ship tours but local taxis. I am trying to pick one mosque to visit and you've convinced me to choose Abu Dhabi. Not sure now what to visit in Muscat. We are 4 adults. Ken

I went to Dubai for a weekend last year with another female friend, we stayed over in the Dhera area and have never felt safer. We took taxis or walked everywhere and had an amazing time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Point taken. To OP, sorry for injecting some uncalled-for remarks...my apologies.

I'm an delighted to read that I have been a source of merriment.

Oh dear - we are showing how little we know, we are talking about UAE and Oman here - not Pakistan, Iran, Afghanistan and Syria - not sure if I have ever seen a cruise call to any of these places. Well definitely not Afghanistan as it is landlocked - I am sure you knew that :p .

I feel exactly the same about visiting a country where there seems to be no regulation on gun control and where visiting a bar, taking your kids to school or visiting the Police Station which are taken for granted here are now an extremely hazardous activity in the US.

The subject is about personal safety. Clearly an honour killing is not something the average cruiser would face. However, terrorism is a reality and a terrorist attack is best avoided if not congregated in large numbers - therefore visit the sites as a solo after the tour buses have departed. I certainly felt safer in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Muscat than I would in Dublin, Paris, London or any US / Canadian city.

I think you need to get out a bit more or at least buy an Atlas! There is a whole world outside the borders of the great U.S. of A!

Believe it or not, I have traveled extensively outside of the US...and I know geography very well. :)

Enjoy your cruising!!

Yes. Arriving in Dubai about 7am. We flew Emirates to Dubai many years ago so hoping it's still an enjoyable experience. We will not take ship tours but local taxis. I am trying to pick one mosque to visit and you've convinced me to choose Abu Dhabi. Not sure now what to visit in Muscat. We are 4 adults. Ken

The Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi is stunning - good choice!

What sort of things do you like to do? The Souq is walking distance from the port I Muscat and so is the Corniche which is really nice for a stroll and to watch the dhows. They also have a wonderful mosque and the opera house is meant to be beautiful too. I sometimes just grab a taxi to the Shangri La at Barr al Jissah and get a day pass to enjoy their beach, pools spa and many restaurants.

The Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi is stunning - good choice!

What sort of things do you like to do? The Souq is walking distance from the port I Muscat and so is the Corniche which is really nice for a stroll and to watch the dhows. They also have a wonderful mosque and the opera house is meant to be beautiful too. I sometimes just grab a taxi to the Shangri La at Barr al Jissah and get a day pass to enjoy their beach, pools spa and many restaurants.

Thanks for the info. To be honest, I think minimal exertion in the heat, perhaps a stroll to the souk and the corniche will do. May use it as a part sea day onboard. I had felt I would visit the mosque but after Abu Dhabi, I'm not so sure. Maybe the opera house. Ken

Thanks for the info. To be honest, I think minimal exertion in the heat, perhaps a stroll to the souk and the corniche will do. May use it as a part sea day onboard. I had felt I would visit the mosque but after Abu Dhabi, I'm not so sure. Maybe the opera house. Ken

Hope you have a fabulous trip on this itinerary, Ken - I'm sooo envious and have added it to my wishlist. It looks like Splendida will take over in 2018 so I'll be tracking pricings for her.

Emirates are excellent (I might be biased as my son works for them and is based in Dubai!!). Have just been visiting my son and the family and it was so hot - reached 48C on one day.

I have done the cruise from Dubai around the Emirates three times and there is so much to see and do and lots of,places I want to re-visit.

I would definitely opt for the mosque in Abu Dhabi. You could agree a price with a taxi driver for him to take you to,the mosque, wait and then take you on elsewhere - my choice would be the Emirates Palace Hotel - awesome.

In Muscat I did the Magical Muscat ships tour and on another occasion took the HOHO bus.

If you would like to see my reviews these can be found at

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=217006

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=253499

www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=27028

When did my first cruise from Dubai I was travelling solo and like AmoAmondo I never felt threatened and even on my visits to my son I have no qualms about going to the Mall, going sightseeing using taxis which are so reasonable, or riding the excellent metro system.

Good luck with your plans

Suzanne

Edited by suron
Spellin

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking ahead, I assume the best currency to use on a cruise from Dubai to Abu Dhabi and Sir Bani Yas is the AED as they are all in the United Arab Emirates.

With regard to Muscat and Khasab, as these are in Oman, I assume I then need to exchange my GBP to Omani Rial (OMR).

Is it better to exchange before I leave the UK, or exchange when I'm there?

Thinking ahead, I assume the best currency to use on a cruise from Dubai to Abu Dhabi and Sir Bani Yas is the AED as they are all in the United Arab Emirates.

With regard to Muscat and Khasab, as these are in Oman, I assume I then need to exchange my GBP to Omani Rial (OMR).

Is it better to exchange before I leave the UK, or exchange when I'm there?

If you have bank with nationwide and have a debit card for the flexplus account overseas withdrawals are free so just take enough dirhams to get started and then withdraw from a cash machine which is what we do anywhere we travel.

Liverpool Jo xx

Another question re visas!

I have read MSC's FAQ's about Embarkation United Arab Emirates (Dubai/Abu Dhabi):

The following notes refer to cruises to, from or within the UAE, and transiting Oman. All passports must be valid for at least 6 months on arrival for stays of up to three months.

The above is clear, but then it gets confusing. The next statement appears to be contradictory.

Guests holding passports of the following countries do not need a Visa prior to the arrival to Dubai/Abu Dhabi or to the United Arab Emirates. Europe: France, Italy, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Portugal, Ireland, Greece, Finland, Spain, Monaco, Vatican City, Iceland, Andorra, San Marino, Liechtenstein, United Kingdom

But then it says:

Visa procedures related to cruises embarking/disembarking in Dubai/Abu Dhabi or any other port in the UAE: All Guests arriving by air in Dubai/Abu Dhabi or any other airport in the UAE to embark or participate in a pre-cruise hotel program prior to joining the ship should produce a valid Visa while checking-in in their home countries. Airlines will deny boarding to passengers who are not in possession of a valid UAE Visa.

Is the above only for those staying in a hotel prior to boarding, or does it relate to those from a country not listed above that don't need a visa prior to arriving in Dubai?:confused:

If you have bank with nationwide and have a debit card for the flexplus account overseas withdrawals are free so just take enough dirhams to get started and then withdraw from a cash machine which is what we do anywhere we travel.

Liverpool Jo xx

Thanks Jo, but I don't have a Nationwide account so would incur charges if I withdrew money abroad. I assume credit cards are widely used though aren't they?