Latest time allowed to board NCL Sun

trcfarm

We want to make the most of our visit to Alaska, and really do not want to board in Seward right away. We would like to go on a kenai fjords park excursion that leaves at 1130 and returns at 530. Since the ship doesn't leave port till 9 pm, is this ok? And has anyone ever gone on this boat tour? I called them, and they assured me they would be back at 530 and they would take us to the ship after dropping folks off at the train station. They said we would be at the port by 6.

The latest time to board the ship at a port stop is usually 30 minutes before it sails. As you leave the ship, a time for latest boarding will be posted as you exit. If it is initial boarding of the ship, it is usually two hours before it sails.

Edited by roger001

I presume that you are starting your cruise in Seward and not doing an up and back. If that is the case then you have to be on board 2 hours before departure time.

If an up and back and Seward is just the turn round port then it is the usual 30minutes before departure.

Yes we will be embarking from Seward. The NCL website says arrive at the pier 2-4 hours before embarkation. 9 pm is a weird time to leave, as it interferes with both supper and lifeboat drills. We should be there checking in at 6 pm, but I was wondering if they actually "slam the door" at 7 pm. Haven't booked the Kenai Fjords tour yet. I am hoping someone on these forums has done this so I can feel a little better about risking it.

but I was wondering if they actually "slam the door" at 7 pm.

Probably yes as they have to make sure all passenger baggage is on board and checked through the scanners. They also will want to get it to the cabins before too late in the evening, it will make extra work for thee stewards if lots of people turn up "late". The main reason is that they have to have prepared correct manifests before they leave.

The 9pm leave could be due to the fact that they know they have a late arriving train or plane with NCL booked passengers and they have to be got from Anchorage to Seward.

Dinner will go on as usual, there will still be places open to eat at 9pm. They will hold a make-up Muster Drill the next day.

• 3 weeks later...
We want to make the most of our visit to Alaska, and really do not want to board in Seward right away. We would like to go on a kenai fjords park excursion that leaves at 1130 and returns at 530. Since the ship doesn't leave port till 9 pm, is this ok? And has anyone ever gone on this boat tour? I called them, and they assured me they would be back at 530 and they would take us to the ship after dropping folks off at the train station. They said we would be at the port by 6.

You should be fine checking in that late, but they might be checking people in before your excursion too. We arrived in Seward by train at 1130 am and they had already started checking people in. Something to consider. Check-in would close by 7pm.

Seward is a calm port to disembark from. The check-in here is so much more simpler than other Pacific Northwest ports.

Lifeboat drill is at 830 pm, so there is time to go to dinner afterward. My DW and I went to dinner at a specialty restaurant after going to the lifeboat drill. Don't worry, you will be fine. It is Seward after all!

Starting a voyage in Seward is very different than starting anywhere else. Most passengers arrive by NCL transport around 6:00 p.m. Most independent travelers enjoy one of the Kenai Fjords tours before boarding. As long as you checkin from home by completing all the documents on line you do not need to arrive until an hour prior to sail away.

Luggage is handled a bit differently I that if you arrive by train you check it in Anchorage and it gets to the ship,long before you do because it is trucked down to Seward. The drive is only about 2.5 hours but the train takes about 5 hours. Even if you are not on the transfer, but the regular train younstillcheck your luggage through to the ship in Anchorage.

Personally I would go down the day before and take the longer Kenai Fjords tour as you have a much better chance of seeing whales plus you will visit at least one glacier.

Bottom line to OP is that lots of cruise passengers do one of the tours on the day of embarkation, and the timing is nothing to be concerned about.

We are arriving by train as well. Having cruised a good many times, there is no exact time for embarkation boarding. When the ship is ready, they let you on. While it is usually around noonish, one time we were stuck waiting until 3 pm. 2000 passengers waiting to board all at once was no fun. I am going to go ahead and take the Kenai fjords tour from 1130-530. I can't imagine being on the ship for 9 hours in port with such beautiful country to explore on a once in a lifetime trip. We cannot come down the night before and take the longer fjords tour. We will be traveling from Wrangell St Elias/McCarthy the day before and will be lucky to make it to anchorage by 10 pm. 45 days till departure for us...getting really excited!!

We have a 12:55 FLT from YVR and the Sun docks at 8am should we "walk off" or take the NCL AP Xfer? We have had poor experiences on other lines with exiting the ship quickly and would need to be at AP ASAP as we fly non-rev and extra time is needed at times.

Thanks for any suggestions we only have 2 rollabords so a walk off is easy ...usually..

• 3 weeks later...

On the flip side of the coin, how long after the official arrival time stated by NCL are passengers usually released into the wild at ports of call?

We have one trip that states it leaves half an hour after the ship docks, but we need to allow time to get to the departure point! I am expecting that this should be no problem but would hate to start our day with a forced march or jog to be on time! :eek: