Carnival Vista MDR - Only 1 entree?

We were on the Vistas inaugural voyage and the food in the MDR was very good and yes you can order more than one entree with no additional charge. We never had a problem finding anything to eat and were very satisfied and we were on the ship for 13 days.

I think this is a case of poor service.

On our first cruise, Paradise in 2000, our waiter introduced himself then told us we could order one appetizer, one salad, one entree, and one dessert. Knowing that this was not true, we ordered what we wanted. Service was so bad that on the third night of the cruise we asked to be switched to a different table. Our new server was amazing! He was personable, professional, funny as hell, and loved practical jokes. He played some on us, we played some on him. We were so glad we switched.

Sounds like your first waiter was an all time lazy one. Would have asked the MD when this new policy started so as not to let him get away with that.

We were on the 6/3 Vista sailing and were given a second entree without a problem. Our server practically begged me to order the prime rib with my lobster.

As far as quality of find goes, I would qualify it as good to very good. I find it absolutely laughable when people say cruise food is hiring or inedible. Really??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were on the 6/3 Vista sailing and were given a second entree without a problem. Our server practically begged me to order the prime rib with my lobster.

As far as quality of find goes, I would qualify it as good to very good. I find it absolutely laughable when people say cruise food is hiring or inedible. Really??

Agree....most of the cruises I have been on, the food is "good". Is it a fine dining experience at a really good restaurant, absolutely not. I equate it to when you go to a catering hall for a wedding. On par with that

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

Flat iron CAN be a good steak, but in my experience, it is not in Carnival's MDR. Yes, what they serve is a steak, but it tends to be overcooked, tough, full of gristle, and tastes like the cheapest steak that Walmart carries. The last one I had, I only took one bite, and I regretted that one.

Now, the Indian vegetarian entree, on the other hand, is usually very, very good. I've actually had cruises where I had that almost every night I ate in the MDR, lol.

Ah, well true. I haven't had Carnivals yet. But the ones I grill are pretty good. Just have to cut out the thick membrane in the middle. The rest is great!

from john h facebook page:

John Heald

Name: Helena

Message: You have done it this time !! As brand ambassador. you have caused a lot of nervousness by posting the question about how many entrees people have ordered from the wait staff. There was a review posted on our Cruise Critic board who said that they were on the Vista. They asked their waiter for a second main course but were denied!! There are now thoughts by knowledgeable members that Carnival is about to have a small service charge for any passenger who wants a second main dish. Is this true because if it you can say goodbye to my business and I will be on of thousands!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I think its best to nipple this rumour in the bud. This is not true, we are not charging for any second, third or twenty seventh extra entrée. Please if someone can post this on Cruise Critic I would appreciate it so I don’t have to repeat myself through the day. I have no idea what happened with the guest who reported that they were unable to order a second emtree on the Carnival Vista so please do ask them to contact me here so I can investigate with the ship.

Cheers

I wonder if it is one of those situations where the guest wanted to order another entree after the serving team was well into the dessert round. If that is the case, the entre build line in the galley may be on to its next set of tasks and cannot put together another entre. I have seen this happen once or twice in my cruising life. That would be similar to a group coming to their 6:00pm dining time at 7:30pm and expecting to be served as if it were 6:00pm.

from john h facebook page:

And, another person running to JH making us all look like idiots.

Why is it that people will see ONE person write something that seems contrary to your own first hand knowledge, and, instead of thinking that person is probably wrong, that ONE report means that company policy has changed?

Seriously.

It would take a large number of people reporting it for me to believe it. A "one-off" doesn't have any credibility until confirmed by other numerous reports.

JH did ask the question of whether or not your ordered more than 1 entree in the MDR. Somebody probably took that to mean you can't order more than one. That's just how rumors start.

That's not how rumors get started. That's how changes get started. If JH says it's only a survey, bet on that horse.

I want to know why every time someone comes up with something that is clearly refuted here, someone (the same or different someone) runs to JH as though ALL of CC agrees with that person and make a big deal out of something asinine. ARRRGGGGHHH

I want to know why every time someone comes up with something that is clearly refuted here, someone (the same or different someone) runs to JH as though ALL of CC agrees with that person and make a big deal out of something asinine. ARRRGGGGHHH

FWIW, here is the full post on JH's FB page (emphasis mine):

Message: You have done it this time !! As brand ambassador. you have caused a lot of nervousness by posting the question about how many entrees people have ordered from the wait staff. There was a review posted on our Cruise Critic board who said that they were on the Vista. They asked their waiter for a second main course but were denied!! There are now thoughts by knowledgeable members that Carnival is about to have a small service charge for any passenger who wants a second main dish. Is this true because if it you can say goodbye to my business and I will be on of thousands!!

FWIW, here is the full post on JH's FB page (emphasis mine):

I read the post. I understand what she posted. I also understand that she makes it sound like everyone at CC believes this and that we are all petty and super critical. Every time something comes up on CC, even if no one here agrees with it, it appears on JH face.... as though we are all in agreement and everyone at CC is basically anti-Carnival. While I am not a Carnival "cheerleader" (there are many things that I would like to see changed), I am no about taking small comments out of context, making them into supposed huge issues, and posting them out there for the world to see. Statements like "because if it you can say goodbye to my business and I will be on of thousands" and "thoughts by knowledgeable members that Carnival is about to have a small service charge for any passenger who wants a second main dish" makes all of us on CC look bad. Just who are these "knowledgeable members" and how do they know? It's all conjecture!!!

Edited by Schoifmom

I read the post. I understand what she posted. I also understand that she makes it sound like everyone at CC believes this and that we are all petty and super critical. Every time something comes up on CC, even if no one here agrees with it, it appears on JH face.... as though we are all in agreement and everyone at CC is basically anti-Carnival. While I am not a Carnival "cheerleader" (there are many things that I would like to see changed), I am no about taking small comments out of context, making them into supposed huge issues, and posting them out there for the world to see. Statements like "because if it you can say goodbye to my business and I will be on of thousands" and "thoughts by knowledgeable members that Carnival is about to have a small service charge for any passenger who wants a second main dish" makes all of us on CC look bad. Just who are these "knowledgeable members" and how do they know? It's all conjecture!!!

Well said.

Arghhh, I do have to agree with her that some people come onto CC claiming to have inside information or I know this person who knows this person that is the personal friend of so and so at Carnival.

During the whole Dancing of the Ships thread last year when everyone was speculating on the Miracle and Splendor. I came off the Miracle and reported I had been told by crew on board the Miracle was relocating to China in 2017. Someone came and blasted me telling me how they knew someone and basically I was an idiot Carnival was never going to China. We all know how that turned out. The Splendor is going to China in 2019 and originally the Miracle was going in 2017.

To the rest of her response to JH, if this is the thread she is referring to she couldn't be more wrong and embellishing more then has been posted on here by a long shot.

The review had nothing to do with the steakhouse, or any upcharge menu, they simply said they tried to older more than 1 entree in the MDR and were told they were not allowed to do so anymore.

I agree, there would be a revolt if that were the case. I would find it wildly offensive. I wonder if the case above was just a bad server?

Anyways, thank you Jimbob for reporting in that is not the case as you are on the ship now. Have you been eating in the MDR or Specialty, or some combination? Any further comments? By chance are you in the Havana area? I have another thread that has gained no traction on that. Do enjoy.

Best-

Steve

Having a great cruise, love the ship, MDR so far but Cucina tomorrow and steakhouse Friday. Couple new things on he menu, will do a full review. Seen the Havana area, one in our party is staying in a Havana cabana room - love it. Havana bar area real nice as well. Will have pics on all in my review.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having a great cruise, love the ship, MDR so far but Cucina tomorrow and steakhouse Friday. Couple new things on he menu, will do a full review. Seen the Havana area, one in our party is staying in a Havana cabana room - love it. Havana bar area real nice as well. Will have pics on all in my review.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Looking forward to your photos and thoughts.

Best-

Steve

The lamb chops are only offered on Elegant nights. I just went through my American Table/Feast menus.

The lamb chops were great. Everything I've tried off of the Steakhouse Selections menu has been well worth the $20 up charge.

Several times on Vista I ordered more than one entree without a problem. We had no problems with the service or the food.