Livorno --> Florence or Cinque Terre?????

laurenucla

I have a question for all experienced Europe visitors out there:

Our ship docks in Livorno next month. Having visited both destinations previously, would you prefer to visit the Cinque Terre or Florence again? Cinque Terre appears to be a longer trek via private tour vs. private tour to Florence/Pisa.

I am so torn because I LOVE both places! My husband and I are traveling with another couple who has never been to Florence. That being said, they HAVE to take the trip into Florence and we are fine splitting up. My husband and I have seen Florence (albeit 10 years ago) and love it. He has never seen the Cinque Terre. From what I've heard, it's not like it was 15 years ago - much more crowded now and touristy. What are everyone's thoughts? It will be hot and crowded in both places!

I have a question for all experienced Europe visitors out there:

Our ship docks in Livorno next month. Having visited both destinations previously, would you prefer to visit the Cinque Terre or Florence again? Cinque Terre appears to be a longer trek via private tour vs. private tour to Florence/Pisa.

I am so torn because I LOVE both places! My husband and I are traveling with another couple who has never been to Florence. That being said, they HAVE to take the trip into Florence and we are fine splitting up. My husband and I have seen Florence (albeit 10 years ago) and love it. He has never seen the Cinque Terre. From what I've heard, it's not like it was 15 years ago - much more crowded now and touristy. What are everyone's thoughts? It will be hot and crowded in both places!

We just went to ct last week. In retrospect, I wish we would have gone to Florence. We did an amalfi coast tour as well and I found both to be beautiful and very similar. It tour was very expensive as well and lots of people in all of the villages.

We just went to ct last week. In retrospect, I wish we would have gone to Florence. We did an amalfi coast tour as well and I found both to be beautiful and very similar. It tour was very expensive as well and lots of people in all of the villages.

Thanks for your reply. Have you been to Florence previously?

Having been to both on a land vacation and having recently cruised into Livorno I would suggest Florence might be the better option. Both are relatively long days from Livorno but most of our fellow cruisers who went the CT route were disappointed. Not in the quaintness of the towns but with the travel time, the crowds and the fact that things had to be skipped to get back to the port in time.

Florence while also a long ways allows for a few more timing options especially if you elect to do it on your own. Also for those who have never been, Florence is a beautiful city to behold.

Having been to both on a land vacation and having recently cruised into Livorno I would suggest Florence might be the better option. Both are relatively long days from Livorno but most of our fellow cruisers who went the CT route were disappointed. Not in the quaintness of the towns but with the travel time, the crowds and the fact that things had to be skipped to get back to the port in time.

Florence while also a long ways allows for a few more timing options especially if you elect to do it on your own. Also for those who have never been, Florence is a beautiful city to behold.

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate the info. I thought both places were relatively equidistant from Livorno?

I'm in the same situation, and I decided to go to Lucca instead to see something new. I would love to see Florence and CT again, but I'd want to go off season like I did before. So much more peaceful.

Cinque Terre is now a tough call. The problem is that once the Italians opened up La Spezia to cruise ships (including very large ships), the crowds of cruisers (which can number in the thousands from a single ship) started adding to the already overflow crowds at Riomaggiore and the other villages. Things have become so overcrowded that the Italian government has talked about closing the access road on crowded days (not sure if this has actually been implemented). We were back in Cinque Terre this past April, and even though it was not even the high season, we did find some of the previous charm of the villages was missing due to the hoards of visitors. And the damage from the land/mud slides a few years ago have still not been totally repaired...adding to the problems. Personally, if in the high tourist season we would probably recommend Florence over Cinque Terre...because Florence can better handle the large summer crowds.

Hank

Cinque Terre is now a tough call. The problem is that once the Italians opened up La Spezia to cruise ships (including very large ships), the crowds of cruisers (which can number in the thousands from a single ship) started adding to the already overflow crowds at Riomaggiore and the other villages. Things have become so overcrowded that the Italian government has talked about closing the access road on crowded days (not sure if this has actually been implemented). We were back in Cinque Terre this past April, and even though it was not even the high season, we did find some of the previous charm of the villages was missing due to the hoards of visitors. And the damage from the land/mud slides a few years ago have still not been totally repaired...adding to the problems. Personally, if in the high tourist season we would probably recommend Florence over Cinque Terre...because Florence can better handle the large summer crowds.

Hank

Thanks for the reply. Now definitely leaning towards Florence again rather than CT.

I'm in the same situation, and I decided to go to Lucca instead to see something new. I would love to see Florence and CT again, but I'd want to go off season like I did before. So much more peaceful.

A great choice. This is what we did last month. Lucca is one of my favorite italian cities. It is completely walled and very easy to just wander through.

Do not know your plans but I will say that it was quite easy to do OYO, which is one of the reasons we elected to go back for a second visit. The ease of getting to it makes the day much less rushed.

If you go to Lucca, you can rent a bicycle and ride around the entire perimeter of the city - pretty nice ride and then ride through the streets to see the little city...

A nice change from Florence and easy to get to on the train.

eclue:rolleyes:

On our first trip to Livorno we chose Florence. It was an easy choice. This year, rather than going to Florence again, we are planning to go to CT. Another month or so and I can give you a better answer.

We also like Lucca, San Gimignano, Volterra, and even Colle val d'Elsa (we have spent significant time in the region). But all those places pale by comparison to Florence. Yes, Lucca is cute and has those amazing walls. But when you start comparing to the shopping, world class museums, Arno River, restaurants, gelato, markets, etc etc. Lucca is just a very nice Italian town....and Florence is a world-class treasure. We do go to places other then Florence when on cruise visits, but that is only because we have already spent many days/nights in Florence.

Hank

Hank

We also like Lucca, San Gimignano, Volterra, and even Colle val d'Elsa (we have spent significant time in the region). But all those places pale by comparison to Florence. Yes, Lucca is cute and has those amazing walls. But when you start comparing to the shopping, world class museums, Arno River, restaurants, gelato, markets, etc etc. Lucca is just a very nice Italian town....and Florence is a world-class treasure. We do go to places other then Florence when on cruise visits, but that is only because we have already spent many days/nights in Florence.

Hank

Hank

Totally agree. I was just reenforcing the idea that especially for those who have been to both the CT and Florence before, Lucca is a very good option and an easy connection. If I were a newbie Florence would definitely be #1 on the list. It is still my favorite city in Italy