Cheap calls from overseas

We live in a new estate with just cable for internet access and television so all "landline" telephone calls are made via the internet using Voip (Voice over IP) services. While our internet provider has a Voip service we use an independent Voip service from MyNetPhone (there are many providers in Australia). We have a Voip Cordless phone that connects to our Voip provider via the internet and calls are free/cheap depending on the plan you are on.

The beauty of a service like this is that you can install a Voip Software Phone (e.g. Zoiper or 3CX) on your mobile, notebook and/or tablet and once configured you can make phone calls when you are connected to the internet either direct or via wifi (don't use mobile data). My Voip plan includes 280 free untimed calls to Australia and 80 other countries and 50 free SMS per month. So if I'm in Noumea and connected to the free wifi at the Information Centre I can make calls to standard phones in Australia or 80 other countries free. Calls to other countries cost from 1.9c/minute and calls to Australian mobiles about 20c/minute.

Depending on the satellite speed on the ship I guess you could call home via the ships wifi but I've never tried it.

Certainly prevents bill shock when you get home from a cruise or any overseas travel.

We live in a new estate with just cable for internet access and television so all "landline" telephone calls are made via the internet using Voip (Voice over IP) services. While our internet provider has a Voip service we use an independent Voip service from MyNetPhone (there are many providers in Australia). We have a Voip Cordless phone that connects to our Voip provider via the internet and calls are free/cheap depending on the plan you are on.

The beauty of a service like this is that you can install a Voip Software Phone (e.g. Zoiper or 3CX) on your mobile, notebook and/or tablet and once configured you can make phone calls when you are connected to the internet either direct or via wifi (don't use mobile data). My Voip plan includes 280 free untimed calls to Australia and 80 other countries and 50 free SMS per month. So if I'm in Noumea and connected to the free wifi at the Information Centre I can make calls to standard phones in Australia or 80 other countries free. Calls to other countries cost from 1.9c/minute and calls to Australian mobiles about 20c/minute.

Depending on the satellite speed on the ship I guess you could call home via the ships wifi but I've never tried it.

Certainly prevents bill shock when you get home from a cruise or any overseas travel.

I've called on Facebook messenger while at sea. Cost me nothing as I used my free internet mins.

I've called on Facebook messenger while at sea. Cost me nothing as I used my free internet mins.

But can you call a home phone or mobile from Facebook?

Edited by linanles

I just Googled phone calls from Facebook and it appears that it is similar to Viber and Skype. The other person has to have a Facebook account, and Facebook Messenger installed and running as does the person you are calling. You can't call phone numbers whether they are landline or mobile as you can with true Voip.

It may surprise some people but not everyone has or wants a Facebook account and not all of those with an account are using it 24/7.

I just Googled phone calls from Facebook and it appears that it is similar to Viber and Skype. The other person has to have a Facebook account, and Facebook Messenger installed and running as does the person you are calling. You can't call phone numbers whether they are landline or mobile as you can with true Voip.

It may surprise some people but not everyone has or wants a Facebook account and not all of those with an account are using it 24/7.

Not suggesting anyone should get it. Merely pointing out you can do it for free if you have wifi or free ship minutes. I thought I had called mum who only has a landline, maybe not, but did call Pete on it while in Europe and Asia in the middle of the ocean too. Sometimes connection was really good other times it dropped out. Don't think you need the ap open 24/7 just installed on your devices.

Thank you for sharing. Your situation is quite unique but could become more common with many new estates opening up.

At the moment we just use messenger as a free service when we call our overseas cruise friends. With the current many Telstra outages, other networks are offering cheap phone deals including free minutes overseas.