No prune juice in King's Court on QM2

Ms.Eva

Just came back from QM2, five day cruise. NYC-Nova Halifax Nova Scotia-Boston-NYC. All in all my mother and I had a lovely time; cool in Nova Scotia, very warm in Boston; we made great use of our balcony. I took a spa pass because I love the therapy pool and I've been having trouble with my knee lately.

As I said, it was a lovely cruise, but one thing struck me as odd. Yesterday morning, in King's Court, I asked one of the servers for a glass of prune juice for my mother, since it wasn't one of the selections on the juice machine. I asked three servers, none seemed to know what I was talking about. Finally, another passenger, a very nice lady, told me that I needed to go downstairs to the Britannia restaurant and they would have it. I went downstairs and asked the maitre d, who said yes, he would get me a glass of prune juice. After a short wait, a server came, with the glass of the precious prune juice on a tray and I took it up to my mother (after I thanked everyone of course).

But my question is, why no prune juice in King's Court? And why didn't any of the servers tell me that I had to go downstairs to Britannia? She's never had a problem getting prune juice on any of the other cruises we've been on.(NCL, HAL, Royal, Celebrity) This was our fifth time on QM2, the last time was in 2011, no problem with prune juice then.

Whilst sympathetic to you for the lack of information and direction given to you by the servers in the Kings Court (can't explain why), I would say this.

I've noted several things that are available in one restaurant on board, are sometimes not available in others.

Same with bars; quite often one particular drink is available in the Commodore Club, but not in the Golden Lion (and vice versa). One special Gin I know is only available in two bars on board. Draft beers is another example I believe.

I know that someone couldn't get Earl Grey tea in the Commodore Club a couple of years back, but could in the Chart Room, for example. That may have changed of course.

I guess the answer is to either frequent the place that you know does the item you require, or give the restaurant notice of what you want and when (I'm sure they'd be happy to oblige).

I take it that, other than the last morning, you both took breakfast in the Britannia Restaurant where prune juice was readily available?

As for being able to get something exactly the same, in the same place, five years later... Sadly some things change over time (often reflecting overall demand).

I well remember being told a story many years ago by a lady I knew who worked in a shoe shop. They no longer did the particular shoes a customer wanted. On being told firmly by the annoyed customer "But you used to do them!" my friend said "You're absolutely right madam, we used to do them" :D .

Best wishes for your next sailing on the wonderful QM2 :)

Just came back from QM2, five day cruise. NYC-Nova Halifax Nova Scotia-Boston-NYC. All in all my mother and I had a lovely time; cool in Nova Scotia, very warm in Boston; we made great use of our balcony. I took a spa pass because I love the therapy pool and I've been having trouble with my knee lately.

As I said, it was a lovely cruise, but one thing struck me as odd. Yesterday morning, in King's Court, I asked one of the servers for a glass of prune juice for my mother, since it wasn't one of the selections on the juice machine. I asked three servers, none seemed to know what I was talking about. Finally, another passenger, a very nice lady, told me that I needed to go downstairs to the Britannia restaurant and they would have it. I went downstairs and asked the maitre d, who said yes, he would get me a glass of prune juice. After a short wait, a server came, with the glass of the precious prune juice on a tray and I took it up to my mother (after I thanked everyone of course).

But my question is, why no prune juice in King's Court? And why didn't any of the servers tell me that I had to go downstairs to Britannia? She's never had a problem getting prune juice on any of the other cruises we've been on.(NCL, HAL, Royal, Celebrity) This was our fifth time on QM2, the last time was in 2011, no problem with prune juice then.

Did you go to the Chefs Galley

They still serve juices etc there in the Mornings

Cranberry Juice is no longer served in Kings Court, this has been swapped for Apple Juice. The Chocolate machines and sachets has also gone, replaced with a bowl of Instant chocolate.

On another note, the new Hot water machines which are similar to the other Queens, If they have not been used for some time the first few seconds the water is cold, so you have to run it for a few seconds for it to get hot.

The new Ice Cream Machines are not too good either, Two ended up Broken and the 3rd they had to place a steward by it to serve due to the machine being fierce ! It was very funny watching passengers trying to dispense the Ice Cream, most ended up with the cornet on the floor.

Edited by Pennbank

I wonder if the Chefs Galley do Eggs Benedict?

I can get Eggs Benedict at breakfast in the Britannia Restaurant most days, but I've never seen Eggs Benedict available at breakfast in the Kings Court.

I'll ask later this year :) .

Edited by pepperrn

I wonder if the Chefs Galley do Eggs Benedict?

I can get Eggs Benedict at breakfast in the Britannia Restaurant most days, but I've never seen Eggs Benedict available at breakfast in the Kings Court.

I'll ask later this year :) .

I did not see it in Chefs Galley as its the Healthy Option.

Corinthia lounge if I remember had something similar, however presently they are playing with the area to find what works. We had the Jazz band playing one lunchtime in the Corinthia Lounge and it was packed. So That works.

Actually I could get cranberry juice in King's Court this past cruise; they had apple juice too.

Thanks, I'll try Chefs Galley next time.

Thank you that is nice to know, must have re stocked.

Not on QM2 but have just returned from a cruise on QE and also one in May on QV and noticed prune juice was freely available in the Lido for both cruises. I tried a glass of it, tasted terribly sweet and syrupy.actually don't think it is a healthy choice.

LOL! You gotta love the fact that you could ask a question about prune juice and get so many answers! You gotta love CC to get any question answered!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not on QM2 but have just returned from a cruise on QE and also one in May on QV and noticed prune juice was freely available in the Lido for both cruises. I tried a glass of it, tasted terribly sweet and syrupy.actually don't think it is a healthy choice.

Might not be healthy but I am sure it does what prunes are supposed to do.:D

Our experience on the re-mastered QM2 from Hamburg to NY in Kings Court was that, while the interior design had been re-mastered, the food had not. It was the same old mediocre Kings Chaos buffet from the past. So the lack of prune juice is not a surprise. They just have the same stuff that all Cunard buffets have. I believe it's been standardized and is mass market cruise line Too bad.

I think prune juice would be the last thing I would want to drink. Can't say I have ever tried it. I'm surprised they had it at all, I really don't think it is something that is frequently requested.

I can understand that....I grew up in a New York neighborhood where prune juice was considered a staple. Mother always had a bottle in the refrigerator: nasty, thick, dark concoction:eek:. And yet oddly enough, a prune Danish is really worth trying, in my opinion. (If you find yourself in Grand Central Station, get a prune Danish from Zaro's bakery) Cheers, -S

Correct, and that's why you drink it. :D

Get into a habit of a mug of 'Hot water and lemon' first thing in the morning, that does the trick. And is far more heathy.

Now we have the in room kettles, that shouldn't be a problem ;)

Get into a habit of a mug of 'Hot water and lemon' first thing in the morning, that does the trick. And is far more heathy.

Now we have the in room kettles, that shouldn't be a problem ;)

...the kettle will get you hot water, but you'll need to scrounge for the lemon. Get a nice one from Kings Court, slice it and put in the room fridge. Should be good for a day or two. Or order hot water and lemon from Room Service...gawd these simple things get so needlessly complicated :)

Edited by Salacia