From cruise to airport

lolmerry

I know this as been asked before but i am still not sure,What do others do? arrive back off cruise at manhattan cruise terminal,new york and fly from Newarke airport,I have not got a transfer booked yet,Am i best to wait till we come out of the cruise terminal and just hail a cab?or are we best to sort out a transfer before we go and if so which are the best transporters? we dont fly untill evening what time will we be able to stay on the breakaway untill?Hope some of you can answer my questions,I would be very gratefull for any advice,thanks

They will ask you to leave the ship beginning around 9-930am-ish, it depends.

To EWR, or any airport really, the only options I would consider, in order, are Uber or NJ Transit (EWR), LIRR (JFK). To LGA, Uber only.

Generally speaking - not knowing OP's details - with the BA, the last group by color tag is around 10 AM for leaving the ship via one of two gangways.

They do asked guests to vacate the staterooms by 8:30 AM so that crews can proceed with their turnaround. Full hot breakfast served until 8:30 to 9 AM in the buffet and (where we always do ours in) the (shorter menu choices) MDR - cont'l breakfast thru 9:30 AM.

It appeared likely you are flying overseas/TATL on evening departure , then, allow extra time to reach EWR & clear TSA security, etc. & go airside - otherwise, there is no reason to spend 7 or 8 hours+ airside, unless you have club/lounge access. A $50 day pass can be a "smart" choice (check to see if your credit card has complimentary privileges ... although food/snack/beverage is nothing to write home about, it's at least complimentary & free WiFi, etc.)

Otherwise, I second the recommendation of taking a quick taxi ride (about $10 to $12 + tips) over to Schwartz Luggage storage (it has elevators) on W. 37th Street & 9th Ave. $10 for larger luggage all day & $8 for smaller ones - short term rates available by the hour - details here. (MCT - you will exit at street level on W. 48th & 12th Avenue ... some will walk their luggage over, too far for others & not when it's 90 degree outside like today with the humidity, etc.)

You can do a little shopping at Macy's on 34th Street, walk north to Times Square and explore other POI nearby, have a nice lunch in midtown Manhattan - before returning for your luggage & work your way over to EWR. If you can manage luggage, frugal option A is to walk 3 blocks south not to NY Penn Station - really close enough (NJT trains to EWR trains). Or, take a car service directly over to EWR (do NOT hail a yellow taxi as that's much more expensive)

There is another frugal option via NY Waterway ferry nearby, take that with luggage across the Hudson to the Jersey side for transportation to EWR - viable for lightly packed travelers. East Coast departure forum under N.A. Homeports have numerous post answers - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2366433

Send via Nexus * on Fi Network or WiFi, VPN secured

Edited by mking8288

To EWR, or any airport really, the only options I would consider, in order, are Uber or NJ Transit (EWR), LIRR (JFK). To LGA, Uber only.

I am a regular user of Uber...but haven't been to NYC since using them. Why do you place them ahead of Taxis? cost? cleanliness? I have a female friend who is visiting NYC in August (sightseeing not for a cruise) and hasn't ever been comfortable with the subway so would like be taxi-ing a good bit - would you also recommend Uber instead?

TIA