In a dilemma, Stuck between two cruises

glituner32

Stuck between two cruises. So here is the dilemma. My wife and I have a newborn she’s 3 months now. We plan on taking a family cruise when she’s either 8 months old in December. My parents will also be coming on the cruise so we will have help. My choices are to either keep it local or fly to FL. We live in DC area.

Choice 1: Take Carnival Pride out of Baltimore 7 day cruise, port canaveral, Freeport and Nassau. This would be the cheaper option.

Pros: Don’t have to fly, Cheaper. Drive to port.

Cons: Ports are okay , 7 day long cruise not sure if it might to be long for the baby.

Choice 2. RCCL Allure of the seas. 5 Day cruise, FLL, Ports Nassau and Cozumel.

Pros: Better ship, more things to do.

Cons: cost more, have to fly.

I’m mostly not worried about the cost of the trip but for if you guys had an infant which itinerary would you choose.

Thanks

Stan

I like your option from Baltimore. Frankly, I don't think a baby knows the difference of being at home or away as long as you can keep to a schedule and have food and familiar toys.

I think you two will enjoy relaxing on a longer cruise with help from family. :)

I like your option from Baltimore. Frankly, I don't think a baby knows the difference of being at home or away as long as you can keep to a schedule and have food and familiar toys.

I think you two will enjoy relaxing on a longer cruise with help from family. :)

LOL, my thoughts exactly, what does a baby know between cruise versus home. I guess they could get seasick, that would suck. I would choose the Pride also. Love that Boat.

I would do the Baltimore cruise. Not having to do the flying, hauling of suitcases (to airport, to hotel, to port, back to airport), finalizing the logistics of it all would make it so much easier when you have a little one in the mix.

My only hesitation for the Baltimore cruise would be the weather. You mentioned cruising in December. It will likely be very cold until you get much further down the coast. Even Port Canaveral may be on the chilly (for FL) side that time of year. Of course flying out of Baltimore in December also comes with it's own set of challenges.

I agree with the others who say that 7 days wouldn't be too long for the baby. We took our 14 month old on an 8 day cruise last fall and she did great!

I vote pride too... Less travel hassles, less chance of airline winter cancellations and finally, the Allure has soooo much to do, and (even with help) you will be limited with how much you can participate in and might feel like you are "missing out" on many of the Allure amenities. Keep it as simple as possible with a baby in tow.

I'd vote for the Pride. It's a good size ship to take an infant on. My youngest's first cruise was a 7 day on the Miracle - the same class as Pride.

Lots of quiet areas to sit with the baby, easy to take a stroller all over the ship since you could walk from one end of the ship to the other on all decks. And not having to take a baby on the plane is a bonus. (Changing pampers on the plane was an experience I'm thrilled to never have again!)

Have fun, whatever you decide.

Jennifer

Another vote for the Pride. I would rather worry about 7 nights on a cruise with a baby vs. 5 nights on a cruise with a baby AND flying to the port. So long as all of the people caring for the child are familiar the change in the surroundings will have little impact, however, flying with an 8 mo. old could be a challenge (plus the hassle of schlepping all that stuff through the airport).

If you will have family along to help I would take the extra 2 nights (even if you need to be inside some of it due to weather) and enjoy the time off, as I'm sure you definitely deserve it :)

Also, don't worry about bringing enough baby supplies with you. If you run short you could take the shuttle at Pt. Canaveral to Cocoa Beach and they have a supermarket there. I know this because we did that to restock on soda.

Post this on the Royal forum too and you will likely find the majority steering you towards Royal :cool: Its just the way these boards work.

For myself, I have decided that I can no longer do a cruise shorter than 7 days as my only cruise for the year. For an in between cruise it might be ok but no way would I fly for a 5 day cruise. Not to mention, that 5 days is in no way long enough to get the full Oasis class experience.

Id have to pick Pride. Longer cruise, less expensive and no flying involved.

Edited by ryano

Stuck between two cruises. So here is the dilemma. My wife and I have a newborn she’s 3 months now. We plan on taking a family cruise when she’s either 8 months old in December. My parents will also be coming on the cruise so we will have help. My choices are to either keep it local or fly to FL. We live in DC area.

Choice 1: Take Carnival Pride out of Baltimore 7 day cruise, port canaveral, Freeport and Nassau. This would be the cheaper option.

Pros: Don’t have to fly, Cheaper. Drive to port.

Cons: Ports are okay , 7 day long cruise not sure if it might to be long for the baby.

Choice 2. RCCL Allure of the seas. 5 Day cruise, FLL, Ports Nassau and Cozumel.

Pros: Better ship, more things to do.

Cons: cost more, have to fly.

I’m mostly not worried about the cost of the trip but for if you guys had an infant which itinerary would you choose.

Thanks

Stan

I think driving to Baltimore would be the better option. Babies need a lot of extra stuff and driving with baby stuff would be easier than flying with it. And the money saved by driving can be spent on other fun things.

Have a great cruise with your family! Sounds like you're starting that baby on her way to platinum!

I would vote for the 5 day. Sure you need to fly with the baby but people do it everyday. maybe you will be lucky and have a peaceful flight. On the Pride, you will barely have any warm days to sit on the deck and soak up the sun. You will be cruising for the majority of the time in cold weather where you will be inside the ship. Especially the time it takes to go down and up the Chesapeake Bay to get to the ocean from Baltimore.

Something to take into consideration.

Enjoy either cruise you decide on!!

LOL, my thoughts exactly, what does a baby know between cruise versus home. I guess they could get seasick, that would suck. I would choose the Pride also. Love that Boat.

We are taking our then 9 month old on the vista in December, our pediatrician told us the likelihood of a baby under 2 getting sea sick is very slim, they enjoy being rocked still so it is soothing. He suggested having Benadryl on hand just in case though, as it is the only thing they can take for motion sickness at this age.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Pinterest has lots of great ideas on cruising and flying with a baby under 1 if you want to be extra prepared. Keep in mind they have nothing available for babies on the ship, you will have to bring everything. If you will not have time to shop near the port for your bulk items, flying will be even more difficult. We are flying to Miami the day before our cruise in December to buy the things we don't want to fly with like 8 days worth of diapers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Although the Allure is my favorite ship, I was all set to vote Pride. 7 days beats 5 anyday, and there will be less hassle getting to the port. But then I read you want to cruise in December, which can be mighty cold. If I were making the choice I would find a 7 day out of Port Canaveral. But if those are the only two options, I would still vote Pride, but only by a hair.