Alaskan Cruise May 6-13, 2017 just booked

Hislamb12

Dh and I went our very first cruise, a short 4 day trip to Bahamas in January of this year. It was heavenly and so relaxing, we celebrated our 25th there. We have 11 children at home, 6 with disabilities and we just desperately needed some time alone.. So..I came into a small inheritance from my grandparents both passing this last winter and I received enough to book our next cruise to Alaska. This has been a dream we have had for 25 years so I can hardly believe it. We finally settled on Princess on the Ruby. We got a great deal with a balcony even and OBC...

Is there anyone else going on this cruise? Also, beginning to look at what excursions to do. would love to do some of them.. but whoa the cost..

I did want to ask how important is it to buy travel insurance. I mean $300 for both of us ??

April

As far as others on this particular cruise, you should look in the Princess Roll Calls section. This area is for general Princess discussion, not per-cruise chatter.

Travel insurance can cover a lot of things (but do read the fine print). Depending on the coverage level you pick, you can get reimbursed if perhaps a dependent needs medical care that would require you to skip the cruise. It can also provide medical coverage and air evacuation coverage if needed. Not cruise-related per se, but there was a recent story of a Seattle-area cop who was on vacation in Hawaii, surfing, and got knocked over/under by a wave. CPR, sand in lungs, etc., but he was alive, though he needed treatment not available in Maui. His health insurance wouldn't cover the air evac or at least wouldn't pre-pay the deposit being required by the air carrier to do so, so a local radio station did a campaign and raised the money.

Excursions are pricey, but to us they're an essential part of an Alaska cruise. Several have been far more memorable than the cruising itself.

We are a group of four couples going on this cruise too! We are all getting together this weekend to talk about shore excursions so we have an idea of who is interested in certain types of excursions. This will be our fifth trip. We love it so much and can't wait to go back. This is our first trip to Alaska on the Ruby, but it will be our third on princess. We were lucky to get the sip and sail promo. Please let me know if you have any specific questions. There is a roll call started for this trip, so feel free to check tha out as well :):):):)

DON'T skip the insurance!! Check InsureMyTrip.com and TraveInsurance.com (there are others) to find a plan that works for you.

With all those kids, your main worry would be if something happens and you have to cancel or leave the ship early. If you don't have insurance, you'll be out a lot more than $300.

Be sure to get "cancel for any reason" coverage.

Is there anyone else going on this cruise? Also, beginning to look at what excursions to do. would love to do some of them.. but whoa the cost..

I did want to ask how important is it to buy travel insurance. I mean $300 for both of us ??

April

Come and join our Roll Call group:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2295466

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed that you already did. Welcome.

Edited by ar1950

Dh and I went our very first cruise, a short 4 day trip to Bahamas in January of this year. It was heavenly and so relaxing, we celebrated our 25th there. We have 11 children at home, 6 with disabilities and we just desperately needed some time alone.. So..I came into a small inheritance from my grandparents both passing this last winter and I received enough to book our next cruise to Alaska. This has been a dream we have had for 25 years so I can hardly believe it. We finally settled on Princess on the Ruby. We got a great deal with a balcony even and OBC...

April

After you book your cruise, get off the phone and book your travel insurance. Don't put it off. Go to insuremytrip.com and you can see different policies offered there. We always book with Travel Guard purchasing the Gold Plan for the both of us. It has medical/flight/lost luggage, etc. Do not get your insurance through Princess, you can find better deals else where. There's plenty of information on CC about insurance. Read the horror stories of both people who had insurance and those that did not.

We go to Alaska every year but we haven't looked at any cruises yet. The Ruby is a lovely ship and we wouldn't hesitate to cruise on her again. One thing about Alaska, you will be amazed at the beauty and wildlife. As time goes by you'll learn a lot about cruising Alaska on this Princess board. As far as excursions go, they are expensive and we don't book them. We'd rather spend the money on a future cruise deposit and a wine package. You can also book private tours and not go through Princess. I'm sure there will be a roll call started for your particular dates and you will meet fellow cruisers- maybe even some that will get a private tour together that's affordable.

April

It will be cold but then again you are from Colorado.