The "50% off" 2nd guest promotion

Jeez, these promos are really garbage, aren't they? I've been tracking the price points for a cruise on either Allure, Oasis or Harmony. The price before the sale was leaps and bounds better. Just wanted to vent.

Edited by Doc2725
Words

Jeez, these promos are really garbage, aren't they?

Yep. Just a promotional gimmick for novice cruisers who don't know better. Ignore the marketing, get to the final price and make your decision to buy or pass.

I booked a Harmony cruise for Feb, 2018 back in April and the price has never changed more than $10 for any of these 'deals' (including any obc). I don't get how it went from 50% off to 60% off second guest a few months ago and the price didn't go down more than $5.

Seems strange how that works....lol. And Harmony was included on those deals.

RCCL pricing and sales reminds me of a furniture place we have here in CT.

Pilgrim Furniture, they always advertise 50% off all prices, the problem is when you go into the store the regular price is in almost all case double what you find at another furniture store. So the end result is the price is the same as the other retailers.

Strikingly the same as RCCL! Funny they must have a partnership.

Jeez, these promos are really garbage, aren't they? I've been tracking the price points for a cruise on either Allure, Oasis or Harmony. The price before the sale was leaps and bounds better. Just wanted to vent.

Yes, these are, and always have been, marketing gimmicks. The actual pricing depends on market supply/demand. Sailings that aren't selling well will go down in price as needed to fill the ship. Sailings that are selling well will go up over time, as the ship fills up.

Your goal will be to try to pay as little as possible; their goal will be to try to get as much revenue as possible.

Edited by Paul65

Agreed....we booked our Oasis cruise while onboard Freedom. Then Royal had their last WOW sale and the price went up $1,300 more than we booked it for. Now I see the price is up an additional $100 on top of that with the new sale. Doesn't sale mean the price is better ?

Every time there is a new sale, the price goes up. The trick to getting the best price is to book as soon as the cruise dates are released, or keep an eye out on less popular ships and sailings whose fares will decrease as the sail date gets closer and the ship is still empty.

Actually the cost of my cruise (Ovation 2017) has gone down each of the two sales. A couple of days ago, it went down $100 and we rebooked. It went down by some amount again yesterday but because the new sale is only for US/Canadian residents, we were not eligible. So it's not always a false sale. ;)