Does the direction of the ship vary each time in port?

NoJolt4U

I was curious about the direction a ship is facing when pulling in to ports. For example, when pulling in to Cozumel, does the ship always pull in facing forward or will it sometimes back in to a port as well. Also do ships normally pull in to the same pier each time. Say there are spots for 4 cruise ships to pull in, will the same ship typically be assigned the same pier each time? I was just curious if my room will normally be facing the shore or the water when in port. Wasn't sure if it was pretty much the same every time or if it changed on a regular basis. Anyone been on the same boat with the same itinerary multiple times and had the same pier or mooring facing the same direction?

I was curious about the direction a ship is facing when pulling in to ports. For example, when pulling in to Cozumel, does the ship always pull in facing forward or will it sometimes back in to a port as well. Also do ships normally pull in to the same pier each time. Say there are spots for 4 cruise ships to pull in, will the same ship typically be assigned the same pier each time? I was just curious if my room will normally be facing the shore or the water when in port. Wasn't sure if it was pretty much the same every time or if it changed on a regular basis. Anyone been on the same boat with the same itinerary multiple times and had the same pier or mooring facing the same direction?

I believe it is an individualized choice based on the current day's tides, weather, winds, other ships in port etc. I've been to ports on the western itineray like Coz and Roatan maybe a dozen or more times, and can remember being bow in as well as stern.

Not being privy to the bridge discussions, I'm guessing the decision is made by the Captain with input from the harbor pilot.

Edited by evandbob

I've been on ships into Cozumel half a dozen times and four of those times we went in the larger dock (the one with four spots,) one time we were scheduled to go to the new dock, and one time we were scheduled for the larger dock but ended up going to the new dock at the last minute for some reason I don't remember. To the best of my recollection we have always gone in facing forward.

• 2 months later...

On Splendor, the ship backed in in Cozumel. I think sometimes it has something to do with the inventory timing. If the next port is far away it saves a little bit of time to pull right out instead of backing out and turning around. Just my theory

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Doggielover68

On Splendor, the ship backed in in Cozumel. I think sometimes it has something to do with the inventory timing. If the next port is far away it saves a little bit of time to pull right out instead of backing out and turning around. Just my theory

Itinerary* I'm telling ya, I need a cruise right about now before I completely lose my mind LOL

In Cozumel we've gone nose in every time but it's usually next to another Carnival ship on the same dock. Whichever one gets there first is usually docked port side.

I don't know if this is why but they are on the East side this way, which in the morning means they are casting shade on the dockworkers. Then in the evening the other ship will be shading it.

At some ports they do life boat drills with new crew members or lower some of the boats to see if they are working ok.. so at one port you might be one way the next port the other way to work on the boats on the other side..At nassau its who leaves first or leaves last,first out is backed in so it can go straight out and last out will spin around ....