I will be in Marseille on Sunday (04/09) - need help

Binyamins

It is a first cruise for me and my dad who is 71 years old.

We both speeks only English.

What is recommended to do ?

We have those shore excursions offers form the ship:

1. A BOAT TOUR OF *LES CALANQUES*, THE FJORDS OF MARSEILLE - 44 euro per person

2. AIX-EN-PROVENCE - 50 euro per person

Other excursions are not interesting for us

Is there any other options for us ?

Since it a first time cruise I don't want to drag my father to rent cars or buses

Thank you !

It is a first cruise for me and my dad who is 71 years old.

We both speeks only English.

What is recommended to do ?

We have those shore excursions offers form the ship:

1. A BOAT TOUR OF *LES CALANQUES*, THE “FJORDS” OF MARSEILLE - 44 euro per person

2. AIX-EN-PROVENCE - 50 euro per person

Other excursions are not interesting for us

Is there any other options for us ?

Since it a first time cruise I don't want to drag my father to rent cars or buses

Thank you !

Hi

I am sure you are going to have a great time on your first cruise.

You probably need to give more information to support your question. You say that there are only two tours that are of interest to you - but they are very different tours, one is a trip on a coach to a lovely town ( I have been and loved it) and the other is to what is supposed to be lovely scenery but on a little boat ?(never been but it is on my wish list). So really we would need to know what interests you and why the other options do not suit. Recommendations of "best thing to do" varies so much - while one person likes sitting on a coach seeing views, another wants to get off that coach and wander around, yet another detests being on a coach with 50 other people!!

The Aix trip sounds somewhat expensive as you could get a train from Marseilles for much less, but if you are anxious about not speaking French and having your father with you then maybe DIY is not for you.

I would look at some reviews of cruises to see what others have done when in Marseilles. These have been my choices in Marseilles over the years. They have all been good.

I went to Aix on a ship tour (good choice)

I went to Avignon (loved it)

I just got the ship shuttle into Marseille and walked up to the Cathedral, and then did some shopping and bought some French coffee in the lovely port area.

Tks a lot for your comment.

DIY tour is not an option only in Barcelona where we have the HOHO bus

I heard good things about Aix - how much 44 euro is expensive ?

Should I look for other options in tripadvisor for the same trip ?

The boat may be cancelled as I prefer to take a boat in other locations.

Tks a lot for your comment.

DIY tour is not an option only in Barcelona where we have the HOHO bus

I heard good things about Aix - how much 44 euro is expensive ?

Should I look for other options in tripadvisor for the same trip ?

The boat may be cancelled as I prefer to take a boat in other locations.

This is what I said

The Aix trip sounds somewhat expensive as you could get a train from Marseilles for much less but if you are anxious about not speaking French and having your father with you then maybe DIY is not for you.

You can DIY in Marseilles. I have been there four times and the only time I took an organised tour was when I went to Avignon.

You can get a shuttle into the old port and wander around the city yourself with a map.

But to get to Aix you have to get yourselves to the Train Station - and then the short distance to Aix. I am sure you would find advice about how to do this on Trip Advisor.

You might want to inquire as to the amount of walking your tour will do in Aix vis-a-vis your fathers ability (and endurance) to handle walking around a city. Many Aix tours do involve significant walking.

Hank

Keep in mind that the shops will be closed on Sunday, as I have a tour booked for that day (Private) and that was one of the questions I asked. So walking in the town will have little opened.

We decided to book private as we are on the Carnival Vista (first for us as we are usually on Celebrity or Azamara):)

Regarding shopping on Sundays, there are some places where most shops are actually open. Our favorite place (in the region) on Sunday morning is the huge (2nd largest in France) outdoor market in the village of L'Isle sur la Sorque. Getting to this market (which starts to close shortly after noon) will require private transportation. We are not aware of any cruise ship excursion that goes to this market. Another good Sunday option is the town of Les Baux....where most of the shops (many are pretty touristy) are open.

We cannot over emphasize the market at L'Isle sur la Sorque which we personally find quite amazing and lots of fun. It is a combination food market, antique market and flea market and there are literally over 100 vendors. In addition, many of the local shops and antique stores are also open on Sunday (the market is actually throughout the center of the cute town). Whenever DW and I are staying in Provence, and the weather is good (the market is outdoors so no good in the rain) we will drive a long way to get to this place. But for cruisers it can be a challenge unless you have a private tour (with car/driver) or can somehow get a rental car on a Sunday morning (not easy).

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Several years ago we did the ship tour to Aix on a Sunday and thought that it was worth the money.

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/497

This year we did a private tour that included Arles, Avignon and Les Baux. Was more expensive but filled an entire day with three difference locations.