What to do in Rome

templandgirl

Cruisemom42 - you always have such wonderful info, I was wondering if you have any experience with entering the Roman Forum from Palantine Hill and getting the tickets there too. Another board member suggested that as a less congested entry when I had asked about buying tickets in advance. I know the tickets include the Colosseum but we did that last time. Thanks.

Sorry, I just saw this.

The Palatine Hill entrance is definitely less crowded than the other entrances. Unless you get there just after a busload of tourists has been dumped out, there is not usually much of a line.

I enjoy the park-like atmosphere of the Palatine Hill. Be sure to take some notes or guidebook with you as signage is minimal (you will find some directional signs to various areas but not much explanation). In addition to the main remains of the palace, some things not to miss include the Cryptoporticus (look for original, tiny mosaic stones that remain, here and there) which is thought to be the place where Caligula was murdered. You may be able to see the remains of the iron-age hut that was lovingly tended by the later Romans as the home of Romulus and Remus, the founders of the city. Advance reservations are generally required to see the House of Augustus and the House of Livia (well worth it). And there is a small but interesting museum that many people miss.

After touring Palatine Hill, you can walk down into the Forum.

Sorry, I just saw this.

The Palatine Hill entrance is definitely less crowded than the other entrances. Unless you get there just after a busload of tourists has been dumped out, there is not usually much of a line.

I enjoy the park-like atmosphere of the Palatine Hill. Be sure to take some notes or guidebook with you as signage is minimal (you will find some directional signs to various areas but not much explanation). In addition to the main remains of the palace, some things not to miss include the Cryptoporticus (look for original, tiny mosaic stones that remain, here and there) which is thought to be the place where Caligula was murdered. You may be able to see the remains of the iron-age hut that was lovingly tended by the later Romans as the home of Romulus and Remus, the founders of the city. Advance reservations are generally required to see the House of Augustus and the House of Livia (well worth it). And there is a small but interesting museum that many people miss.

Thanks so much for your guidance! A couple more questions please - First, we know we will be getting a ticket that covers both the forum and colosseum. I'm assuming we don't have to go to the colosseum at all. Second, when I went to the site to order tickets for the items you mentioned I saw this statement - "It's possible to visit the Augutus' House and Livias' House only with accompanied or guided tour for fee. ". Is it just meaning the extra fees to enter these or something else again. It does state that you can't order tickets for these unless you get the forum/colosseum tickets. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks

Thanks so much for your guidance! A couple more questions please - First, we know we will be getting a ticket that covers both the forum and colosseum. I'm assuming we don't have to go to the colosseum at all. Second, when I went to the site to order tickets for the items you mentioned I saw this statement - "It's possible to visit the Augutus' House and Livias' House only with accompanied or guided tour for fee. ". Is it just meaning the extra fees to enter these or something else again. It does state that you can't order tickets for these unless you get the forum/colosseum tickets. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks

It's not a dumb question, it can be a little confusing.

The ticket covers 3 places: Palatine Hill, the Roman Forum, and the Colosseum. You can visit any or all of these -- you don't have to re-visit the Colosseum if you don't want to.

For the last couple of years, you can visit Augustus' House and Livia's House only be reserving in advance to do so. As the site says, you have to also purchase the overall Palatine Hill/Forum/Colosseum ticket in order to reserve these visits (which makes sense, as that's how you get in to the area).

For either of the two houses you can choose EITHER a tour with a guide, which is more expensive, or just an accompanied visit -- which means an employee will walk with you, unlock the door(s) and wait while you look around on your own. They will not give you any information about what you're seeing. The choice is up to you.

Edited by cruisemom42

It's not a dumb question, it can be a little confusing.

The ticket covers 3 places: Palatine Hill, the Roman Forum, and the Colosseum. You can visit any or all of these -- you don't have to re-visit the Colosseum if you don't want to.

For the last couple of years, you can visit Augustus' House and Livia's House only be reserving in advance to do so. As the site says, you have to also purchase the overall Palatine Hill/Forum/Colosseum ticket in order to reserve these visits (which makes sense, as that's how you get in to the area).

For either of the two houses you can choose EITHER a tour with a guide, which is more expensive, or just an accompanied visit -- which means an employee will walk with you, unlock the door(s) and wait while you look around on your own. They will not give you any information about what you're seeing. The choice is up to you.

Thank you so much! You are a wealth of info. and such a help for all of us to enjoy Rome!:)

We will be in Rome on the 30th of September and are looking for advice on the best way to do the biggies on our own.

We will have purchased a BIRG ticket to get from Civitavecchia Port so will have access to the local transport systems for the day.

Ideally the Big ones for me to see and do is probably the Colosseum, Pantheon, the Forum and the Trevi Fountains.

Now I'm aware that booking "skip the line" tickets to some like the Colosseum are really the done thing, but where will we find the best price for that? and once there, how do we find the skip the line place lol

Ive thought of one of the hop on hop off bus tour thingies but we will have already spent the money on the BIRG ticket and we already have access to the busses and trams. Why spend more ?

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks!!

We took a land trip and did Rome on our own. They have a fantastic subway system that will drop you very near most everything. We did a lot of walking and saw so much more than a tour would have shown us. And you get back on the subway when you are tired of walking. Stops are laid out very well.

• 5 months later...
Sorry, I just saw this.

Forgot to mention, Bob has an app to use at the forum that gives a picture of what something looked like as you point at it.

We have ordered and now have the tickets to enter and will go in on Palatine Hill entrance.

I have been looking in the area of the Pantheon for lunch. I know that you mentioned antica salumeria but I was wondering if there is something else similar but more out of the way around there. The next day we are looking forward to going to Pane e Salame by Trevi. Thanks!

Forgot to mention, Bob has an app to use at the forum that gives a picture of what something looked like as you point at it.

We have ordered and now have the tickets to enter and will go in on Palatine Hill entrance.

I have been looking in the area of the Pantheon for lunch. I know that you mentioned antica salumeria but I was wondering if there is something else similar but more out of the way around there. The next day we are looking forward to going to Pane e Salame by Trevi. Thanks!

Hi Preacherman, what exactly are you wanting for lunch? Antica salumeria is really just a "deli" where you grab and go. Are you looking for somewhere to sit and eat? And you want something near the Pantheon but not right in the piazza?

Hi Preacherman, what exactly are you wanting for lunch? Antica salumeria is really just a "deli" where you grab and go. Are you looking for somewhere to sit and eat? And you want something near the Pantheon but not right in the piazza?

I liked the idea of the deli type since we will be just grabbing a bite of late lunch after a morning of touring with Romecab. They are picking us up at the ship. We will have stopped at the little bakery in the Jewish Ghetto and probably had too much there and then supper at La Locanda di Pietro. It just sounded like the prices are a lot higher than Pane e Salame where we will stop the next day for lunch. If not, Antica Salumeria will be fine. Thanks for your reply!

I liked the idea of the deli type since we will be just grabbing a bite of late lunch after a morning of touring with Romecab. They are picking us up at the ship. We will have stopped at the little bakery in the Jewish Ghetto and probably had too much there and then supper at La Locanda di Pietro. It just sounded like the prices are a lot higher than Pane e Salame where we will stop the next day for lunch. If not, Antica Salumeria will be fine. Thanks for your reply!

I do not know of too many other places in the vicinity that may be much cheaper. There is a COOP supermarket just a block away on Via Giustiniani -- they have a deli in the back where I think they will make sandwiches for you. (They don't have any ready-made.) With the Pantheon at your back, go the the other end of the piazza and turn left, you'll see the COOP.

And I recall one other salumeria in the vicinity but the name escapes me. With the Pantheon at your back, walk to the fountain in the middle of the piazza and turn right, heading up the street called Via dei Pastini. As you walk, look on the right hand side of the street -- it may be a couple of blocks along. Again, they do not have ready made sandwiches but can make something for you.

Finally, there is a 'take out' pizza place (really just a small shop) that seems to do a brisk business every time I've walked by -- it's also on the right hand side of Via dei Pastini and it's called Pizzarius. The address is 100 Via dei Pastini. (Not to be confused with the far more famous Pizzarium near the Vatican, which is truly worth a visit...) If you Google the address you can see a picture of the shop outside and also the display inside.

I do not know of too many other places in the vicinity that may be much cheaper. There is a COOP supermarket just a block away on Via Giustiniani -- they have a deli in the back where I think they will make sandwiches for you. (They don't have any ready-made.) With the Pantheon at your back, go the the other end of the piazza and turn left, you'll see the COOP.

And I recall one other salumeria in the vicinity but the name escapes me. With the Pantheon at your back, walk to the fountain in the middle of the piazza and turn right, heading up the street called Via dei Pastini. As you walk, look on the right hand side of the street -- it may be a couple of blocks along. Again, they do not have ready made sandwiches but can make something for you.

Finally, there is a 'take out' pizza place (really just a small shop) that seems to do a brisk business every time I've walked by -- it's also on the right hand side of Via dei Pastini and it's called Pizzarius. The address is 100 Via dei Pastini. (Not to be confused with the far more famous Pizzarium near the Vatican, which is truly worth a visit...) If you Google the address you can see a picture of the shop outside and also the display inside.

You are a continual wonderful source of info. Thanks so much! Lots of different kinds of options!!! I still hope to go to Antica but if that won't work for us will will know what elso to consider. Thanks again!:):)

The main reason -- at least to me -- for visiting churches in Rome isn't because of their style or decoration so much as for the art inside. For many hundreds of years (before museums were common), many of the best masterpieces of art were commissioned for various churches.

For example:

-- Michelangelo's Moses in San Pietro in Vincoli

-- Bernini's Ecstasy of St. Teresa in Santa Maria della Vittoria

-- Michelangelo's Christ the Redeemer in Santa Maria sopra Minerva

-- The Basilica of Santa Maria del Popolo contains works from Raphael, Bernini and Caravaggio

And for an idea of just how different various churches can look, take a look at the photos in this article on the 8 most beautiful churches in Rome:

http://www.touropia.com/churches-in-rome/

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments. We are planning a cruise next year. This information is very helpful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app